General Training Camp Thread

HoosierCat

The Bengals today placed OT Isaiah Prince on the Reserve/Opt-Out list.

Prince, a second-year player out of Ohio State, originally was a sixth-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2019. He played in four games (two starts) for Miami as a rookie, before joining Cincinnati on waivers in December. He did not see game action with the Bengals.

https://www.bengals.com/news/isaiah-prince-placed-on-reserve-opt-out-list

Watched his press conference live. He's...as advertised. So mature. Was asked what he would splurge on with his signing bonus money - and said he actually wasn't going to spend any of that - that he would be putting that in the bank and investing it and would be living off of his marketing/endorsement money instead. Good lord. 

• Like 1

Dehner with highlighted quotes from Burrow today...this set was fascinating to me:

https://theathletic.com/1966288/2020/07/31/dehner-jr-the-most-important-quotes-from-joe-burrows-news-conference/?source=emp_shared_article

Q: How do you specifically build chemistry with receivers? Are there conversations or drills you prefer to use?

Burrow: It’s really just a back and forth. Say you’re throwing individual routes and you either complete or you don’t, and then you come back and you talk about it. “Hey, how did it feel? Did you like where the ball was? I felt like it was a little short. I think I can get the ball out a little earlier.” It’s just stuff like that. It’s a continuous dialogue between wide receiver and quarterback that starts that.

Burrow: You can do it all in practice. You simulate certain … I always talk about in individual routes, “Hey, imagine the defender. He’s trailing you. He’s on your back hip. That means the ball’s going to be over your shoulder.” Or “Hey, he’s on your front hip, so flatten this one out. It’s going to be put on your face.” So I do that kind of talking in the individual routes just so they can visualize what they’re seeing.

I mean...did Dalton do that? Could he do that? That is...that feels very different.

With all due respect to Dalton, I always found his conversations to be clich-ish. That might be due to Melvin and his uncanny ability to speak forever while simultaneously saying nothing.

Now that doesn’t mean Dalton didn’t do what Burrow is talking about, you just never heard them talk like that.

Who knows ?

Dalton was a decent starting QB. That was elevated by a tremendous line and supporting cast and defense during his playoff years. Choked in about every big game he played in.  

Rookie Burrow has a lot more work to do than rookie Dalton and I hope fans don’t  get caught up in that too early. 

Some good tidbits here.

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/bengals-conduct-first-full-squad-walk-through-and-it-had-taylor-seeing-red-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-joe-burrow-aj-green-xavier-sua-filo-renell-wren-coronavirus-zac

Taylor on Burrow:

"He’s obviously been in the playbook and understands what we are trying to do," said Taylor. "Doesn’t mean it was perfect. We had balls that were on the ground, center-quarterback exchanges, handoffs. There were things to work out with any rookie at all the positions that we had. It was good to get those rookies in and get them on the field a couple days I think we got four days of work in before the veterans showed up. So today, everyone was really in sync because the vets have done these plays before and they feel a lot more comfortable and the rookies had four days on their own to get up to speed. It really meshed at the right time this fifth day. The rookies had some confidence, they’ve been doing it, the vets join and have confidence from doing it last year, it was a good mesh."

re Sua Filo:

What transpired with the moves on Monday of defensive tackle Renell Wren being placed on the non-football injury list and guard Xavier Su'a Filo on the physically unable to perform list: "We didn't get to see them in spring in some ways, and so some of them just need a couple days to get back ready to go. That's really all the information I have on those two right now."

29 minutes ago, COB said:

Ross just left camp, hopefully a quick bounce back by his loved ones = quick return and he can get some chemistry with Burrow.

Tough break but good on John for doing the right thing. Hope son and mom get well soon.

To further expand on Mem’s attached tweets.  There is a good video with Hoard and Lap going through today’s practice and further expanding in Burrow’s accuracy. 

Spoiler alert:  They are impressed,  catchable ball, didn’t take long to get Kenny Anderson comparison going in regards to accuracy.  

Oh yeah, and AJ Green looks tremendous too. 

the reporters get to go to camp today! We will have lots of first hand observation reports! And I think it is a padded practice too! First scrimmage amongst themselves is Friday! It's a good Monday!

• Like 1