Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Price shouldn’t be called a bust.  He lasted the true length of his rookie deal.  But he played nowhere near the money he was making, and fell way short of first rounder expectations.  

Something’s up with him.  I don’t know what, but something isn’t right.  You could basically get a free agent on vet minimum to fill his role right now.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, COB said:

Price shouldn’t be called a bust.  He lasted the true length of his rookie deal.  But he played nowhere near the money he was making, and fell way short of first rounder expectations.  

Something’s up with him.  I don’t know what, but something isn’t right.  You could basically get a free agent on vet minimum to fill his role right now.  

I don’t know if there’s anything wrong with him, but he hasn’t been in a particularly good position to succeed. He’ll be on his second coaching regime and  third OL coach in four years this year, all on a line that’s been a revolving door of players. Not saying he’s some hidden gem or anything but he was dealt a lousy hand. A change of scenery would probably do him good.

Drove to Ohio and back in the last 24 hours to my son from college.  Crazy to catch up on all the rumors. So much smoke - the funniest part is a lot of it is, I think, ATL trying to make the Bengals think they need to trade up to 4. It's lol. Worst case, Chase is gone and we are "stuck" w/ Sewell. I like where we are at. 

If Detroit really wants Chase so badly, then the Bengals should trade down two spots and pick up an extra third rounder. I'd be comfortable with the Northwestern offensive lineman if Penel doesn't slide to the 7th pick. 

Detroit would likely throw in a decent 2022 pick-- third round? 

As for tonight, matt miller’s seven round mock that is out this AM is a useful frame for tonight. In Matt Miller’s final seven round mock here were the o-line and WR after pick 37 still available:

O-line : Eichenberg, Cosmi, radunz, little, mayfield, leatherwood

WR: Marshall, Brown

So, as I sit here on draft day, I am comfortable with either way they go at 5. Still prefer chase plus o-line at 38, but if they go Sewell plus either brown or Marshall at 38 (would prefer brown as less medical flags), that’s fine by me too.

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

As for tonight, matt miller’s seven round mock that is out this AM is a useful frame for tonight. In Matt Miller’s final seven round mock here were the o-line and WR after pick 37 still available:

O-line : Eichenberg, Cosmi, radunz, little, mayfield, leatherwood

WR: Marshall, Brown

So, as I sit here on draft day, I am comfortable with either way they go at 5. Still prefer chase plus o-line at 38, but if they go Sewell plus either brown or Marshall at 38 (would prefer brown as less medical flags), that’s fine by me too.

I still feel that either of those WR's in the second, with Sewell is less than Chase and any of those OL in the second

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I still feel that either of those WR's in the second, with Sewell is less than Chase and any of those OL in the second

I do too, which is why I have been pushing for chase since January. But If it goes the other way, I won’t be upset.

• Like 1

A little over a year ago this thread was started about the OL.   Last year, IMO, the line was unproven and razor thin and the hope they improve across the board was a critical point of success/failure of the 2020 Bengals.   Williams, IMO, showed a possible elite player but once again missed games due to injury.  Although I think in a playoff race situation he might have returned in 2019 and 2020.  Fred Johnson showed he does not belong on the roster, IMO.  Hart was is low tier starter/back up caliber.

I think I've reached a "Wait and See" mode with this group and realization/hope they have turned the corner is a lot more believable today.

People can say Turner was a bad coach all day long.  Won't argue.   But he had shit to work with, a problem that started well before he was line coach.    They typically keep 9/10 OL players 4 tackles and 5/6 IOL.  

First, even IF I excuse Turner under the excuse of lack of talent.   Pollack is a better/proven coach.  Corrects a negative early in the ZT era.  My wish was Brian Callahan but getting his assistant is good to me.

2nd - Half the OL room is now turned over with this draft.  

So, IMO,  its just a wait and see to see IF the turn over produces upgrade in performance. 

Well I don’t know how you declare a most improved OL without snaps being played. 

I do think IF this group stays relatively healthy it will be much improved.  

At the end of the day it’s about points and yards on the board.  So with a decent OL this group of skill guys (stay healthy) should do that much better. 

Reiff is greater than Hart

Carmen greater than the collection of RGs we ran through like a sieve last year

XSF or Spain back home at LG greater than Jordan

Yes, they are improved, TJ. Quite a lot, actually. 

10 hours ago, membengal said:

Reiff is greater than Hart

Carmen greater than the collection of RGs we ran through like a sieve last year

XSF or Spain back home at LG greater than Jordan

Yes, they are improved, TJ. Quite a lot, actually. 

Smith is a possibility at the G position, he was rated close to Carman by a couple sites as a G prospect.

This line could be above average and that is a big improvement!

Pretty sure they are not going to put Smith in the G mix. He's 20 pounds lighter than Carmen - and has the ideal length to really focus on learning T at the NFL level.