Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Fwiw, as we finally get near the damned draft:

Sewell would be awesome as a pick. If they go that route, I will be happy with the pick. I would prefer Chase for all the reasons I have previously stated, but if it's Sewell, that will also be fantastic. Slater at 5 would make me kinda grumpy, but I would understand, I guess, but would also wonder why they couldn't have traded back if so.

I would be fine with Pitts too, but nothing seems to be pointing that way.

• Like 1

Based on what I’ve heard and I’ve tried to listen to everything , everywhere.... they will take Chase and then a couple OLs another and either a WR and TE, not sure after that...I’m looking forward to all of it.  I think they pull one of their best drafts in years just by default. This is like the AJ Green draft year all over again.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GapControl said:

Based on what I’ve heard and I’ve tried to listen to everything , everywhere.... they will take Chase and then a couple OLs another and either a WR and TE, not sure after that...I’m looking forward to all of it.  I think they pull one of their best drafts in years just by default. This is like the AJ Green draft year all over again.   

Assuming they go WR/OL in 1&2, I am hoping for defense in the 3rd, unless there's some obvious reason not to.  

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Assuming they go WR/OL in 1&2, I am hoping for defense in the 3rd, unless there's some obvious reason not to.  

Just depends on how the draft falls if there is another good lineman there double dipping would also make sense.  Keep mind I fully expect that they are going to sign Ryan Kerrigan as soon as they can do it without losing Lawson's comp pick.

• Like 1

Some anonymous Sewell poo-poo'ing: 

“I put the tape on expecting to see Jonathan Ogden or Joe Thomas or Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, and I didn’t see it,” an unnamed scout told McGinn. “But he’s going high because there’s nobody else.”

“He’s a good player, not a great player,” another unnamed scout told McGinn. “The guy’s young. He didn’t play this year.”

“Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” another unnamed scout said. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way, but he’s not a really good finisher, and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/25/anonymous-scouts-make-one-last-run-at-sparking-a-penei-sewell-slide/

3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

to me, that obvious reason is the need for more than just one starter-quality OLineman to protect New Guy. 

if its Chase at 5, use 38 and 69 on an ORT and an IOL

DL can wait til round 4 and beyind

Nugget from espn’s final “what we’re hearing” piece today:

• If the Bengals do go with Chase at No. 5, they'll be looking for offensive line help with their second-round pick and possibly their third-round and fourth-round picks as well. Some names we hear they like include Notre Dame tackle Liam Eichenberg, Oklahoma center Creed Humphrey, Alabama center Landon Dickerson and Wisconsin-Whitewater guard Quinn Meinerz.

• Like 1

I really do believe Atlanta is leaking this to try and get the Bengals to give up some draft capital to take the 4th pick.

Fine you take the second best non-QB in the draft, I will take the best....for me it is of little concern, either way we get an impactful skill position player that will come into the league as the best player at his position in the division.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I really do believe Atlanta is leaking this to try and get the Bengals to give up some draft capital to take the 4th pick.

100% agree.

23 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Fine you take the second best non-QB in the draft, I will take the best....for me it is of little concern, either way we get an impactful skill position player that will come into the league as the best player at his position in the division

100% agree.

• Like 1