Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Deep in slot receivers.  Not deep in outside #1 guys.

I was listening to some draft guys say you take tackle early because you can get your wideout later and I am thinking, are you looking at 2020 instead.  This draft ain't that one. I think it was Steve P. From PFF.

• Like 2

Interesting.

my guess: if the draft goes QBx3, then Pitts, then Chase/Sewell (which seems to be the expectation right now), someone may be looking for the fourth QB, depending on who goes third. Leaves a small possibility of a Bengals trade down.

What that is, is Miami admitting they fucked up.  They made the original deal assuming the Bengals really were all in on Sewell and were counting on being able to get Pitts or Chase at 6 and picking up assets on the way. But if Pitts goes 4 and Chase 5 well - they played themselves. I would be amused. 

• Like 1

Miami trading is what I was speculating on earlier on maybe they would want to move up 1 or 2 spots.   The Bengals public Chase love could be smoke screen to help that scenario.   (Keep in mind, "COULD BE".) Miami isn't locked into Pitts/Chase at 6.  

I think it was rumored the Eagles moved out of 6 originally because Bengals are drafting Chase and probably didn't want to pay a QB price to trade up in front of the Bengals.

Now it looks like the reality has set in for Miami IF they are trying to get out of 6 now.

For those wondering  about Dickerson   - he is 33. So with Leatherwood at 38 and Cosmi 39 on the consensus Big Board. Reasonable to figure that one of Dickerson, Leatherwood, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Radunz, Humphrey, Mayfield, Davis will be there at 38.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Why in the fuck would Miami do all that just to move back ahead of the Bengals when they could have just stayed put and been ahead of the Bengals to start with.

I think its similar to what you said.   They were thinking Bengals locked into OT at 5.  If that were the case then they most likely would be starring at Chase/Pitts at 6.

The Eagles came to this conclusion a long time ago apparently.  Bengals=Chase.

Dolphins didn't.

The only way they are getting Chase now it appears is do something OFF the wall trading up.   Not saying they would but it appears they did get too cute.

Bengals COULD BE playing smoke screen with Chase to get that quickie trade and then just take tackle.   All speculation.  

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

For those wondering  about Dickerson   - he is 33. So with Leatherwood at 38 and Cosmi 39 on the consensus Big Board. Reasonable to figure that one of Dickerson, Leatherwood, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Radunz, Humphrey, Mayfield, Davis will be there at 38.

Dickerson is a strike for me at 38.   They've had 3 Bama draft picks in a row (I think) miss the first year.   2nd round is a 4 year contract.  I'm not sure Dickerson has been cleared. 

Bengals have lost 2 interior lineman drafted top 40 that they graded correctly over not wanting to pay them market rates.

People may not like it but there's probably going to be a more impactful player with less risk at 38 thank Dickerson. 

You really have to question them taking a pure guard at 38 considering recent history under Tobin.   Could be a short term move.  

The needle they have to thread at 38 if they don't go OL at 5 is tighter than what people think.  They don't value guards to the top level and that could effect their draft board.

For those wondering about WRs on the Consensus Big Board between 30 and 55 if we go Sewell and need to hit WR in round 2:

Marshall -34
E. Moore - 35
R. Moore - 36

Outside of that range - Bateman was 28 and K. Toney 29 and Dyami Brown was 62.

My targets for 38 at WR if they take Sewell at 5 remain Bateman or Marshall if they slip to 38 or reach for Brown. The others on here are slot guys for sure (R. Moore) or slot guys who you have to hope can learn the outside (E. Moore and K. Toney).

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Dickerson is a strike for me at 38.   They've had 3 Bama draft picks in a row (I think) miss the first year.   2nd round is a 4 year contract.  I'm not sure Dickerson has been cleared. 

Bengals have lost 2 interior lineman drafted top 40 that they graded correctly over not wanting to pay them market rates.

People may not like it but there's probably going to be a more impactful player with less risk at 38 thank Dickerson. 

You really have to question them taking a pure guard at 38 considering recent history under Tobin.   Could be a short term move.  

The needle they have to thread at 38 if they don't go OL at 5 is tighter than what people think.  They don't value guards to the top level and that could effect their draft board.

There are EIGHT targets on that list.  How small do you think that needle is at that point, lol.  On top of that, historically, we know that Steinbach and Zeitler came in late first/early second range. You are ignoring history with this team to claim that IOL is not valued there by this franchise. 

Dickerson, if he is cleared medically, is an absolute monster at IOL. This team would immediately be an average offensive line with him at RG. Depends on how soon he is ready and what his medicals are. But he's a cheat code - he is exactly what you want in the AFC North. Most of me expects either Pittsburgh or Baltimore to grab him first. 

• Like 1

If Sewell is #5, I don’t think I even want a receiver at #38 unless there’s a very convenient drop from a late first round first round projection (maybe not even then). Just flat BPA, with a few positions omitted, would be preferable.

Probably moot. All signs point to Chase.

• Like 1

Stripes - I get that, I might even be on board with it. But if they skip WR at 38 - again, that is plotting a course toward Auden Tate or Mike Thomas starting at WR and that is a BAD IDEA.  You cannot go into 2021 with that slow a WR corp and no separators. Asking a late round WR w/ speed to just step into the line-up and replace 100 targets is a bad plan. 

It’s the best argument for Chase and has moved me off of a more staunch Sewell-ride-or-die stance. One pick offers a strong means of addressing both positions of need right away and the other pick doesn’t.

If Burrow’s success if the top priority, and it should be, then providing him with immediate upgrades both inside and out is the best way to do that.

You better not miss in round 2 though. You bet your future on leftovers, you get no sympathy if it’s a bust.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, membengal said:

There are EIGHT targets on that list.  How small do you think that needle is at that point, lol.  On top of that, historically, we know that Steinbach and Zeitler came in late first/early second range. You are ignoring history with this team to claim that IOL is not valued there by this franchise. 

Dickerson, if he is cleared medically, is an absolute monster at IOL. This team would immediately be an average offensive line with him at RG. Depends on how soon he is ready and what his medicals are. But he's a cheat code - he is exactly what you want in the AFC North. Most of me expects either Pittsburgh or Baltimore to grab him first. 

IF only the Bengals would just tell us which public prospect list they were going from, lol.

First - it's being obtuse to think 8 targets from a random list will match up with the Bengals actual draft board.   The number could be more or less.   I'm guessing less. 

Very few fans had the Bengals targeting the Texas A&M LB (went first round) for their 2nd round pick.    ALOT of people had Baylor WR as 2nd round target very few had Higgins last year.  Nobody knew shit about Sample.

2nd - Dickerson isn't cleared.  Pick 38 comes up next Friday.   So you think that's worth pick 38? Great.  That sounds like a dumb idea considering they need a player to come in a push/upgrade RG this year.    Last 3 Bama players needed a red shirt year.

3rd - Guard history.  I'm not sure what you think is being ignored.  By my count they draft Steinbach and Zietler with top 40 picks.  They both walked after their rookie contracts and the Bengals balked at signing them given the market value.  

But finally, the Bengals had a prime opportunity to re sign Zietler in the opening hours of FA.  They didn't.  The price tag was $7m a year.

So yes,  the magic list of 8 might not be what you think it is.   I hope they go Chase or Pitts at 5 but its going to be a long 32 picks.

The best example to describe what we are looking for is Whitworth.  Clear top player that can play guard short term and then transition out to the edge. 

On my guessing about the Dolphins potentially having played themselves...Matt Miller arriving at the same conclusion:

4. The Cincinnati Bengals do love Ja’Marr Chase and he could very well be the selection at No. 5 overall. Conventional wisdom points to Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater, but Chase could pull at the heart strings of the franchise (and the franchise quarterback).

5. Two trade out candidates to watch: The Miami Dolphins (No. 6 overall) and Detroit Lions (No. 7 overall). Miami moved back to the sixth selection, I’m told, because they believed the Bengals would select an offensive lineman. That would leave them with one of the top two pass-catchers. If the Falcons select Pitts and the Bengals select Chase, the Dolphins could move out.

The same goes for Detroit; a team with so many needs that every position is on the table which actually sets up well if a quarterback-needy team wants to move up ahead of the Denver Broncos (No. 9 overall).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

IF only the Bengals would just tell us which public prospect list they were going from, lol.

First - it's being obtuse to think 8 targets from a random list will match up with the Bengals actual draft board.   The number could be more or less.   I'm guessing less. 

Very few fans had the Bengals targeting the Texas A&M LB (went first round) for their 2nd round pick.    ALOT of people had Baylor WR as 2nd round target very few had Higgins last year.  Nobody knew shit about Sample.

2nd - Dickerson isn't cleared.  Pick 38 comes up next Friday.   So you think that's worth pick 38? Great.  That sounds like a dumb idea considering they need a player to come in a push/upgrade RG this year.    Last 3 Bama players needed a red shirt year.

3rd - Guard history.  I'm not sure what you think is being ignored.  By my count they draft Steinbach and Zietler with top 40 picks.  They both walked after their rookie contracts and the Bengals balked at signing them given the market value.  

But finally, the Bengals had a prime opportunity to re sign Zietler in the opening hours of FA.  They didn't.  The price tag was $7m a year.

So yes,  the magic list of 8 might not be what you think it is.   I hope they go Chase or Pitts at 5 but its going to be a long 32 picks.

The best example to describe what we are looking for is Whitworth.  Clear top player that can play guard short term and then transition out to the edge. 

Pure nonsense. Because YOU don't want them to look at IOL/Dickerson you are making shit up. Because the Bengals didn't do a second contract w/ Zeitler or Steinbach that means they won't take an IOL at 38? LOL. Get over yourself. The Bengals even made an offer to Zeitler this year - the Ravens beat it. 

It’s not going to be a long 32 picks.

No less an authority than Duke Tobin has flat out said they have starting grades on linemen they expect to there in the third round, “if not longer.”

The fear they are going to somehow miss out if they don’t take Sewell is nonsense.

• Like 1

And let's be clear on Dickerson, IF the bengals took him at 38 he would never be right and probably be an injury bust - because, well, Bengals luck.

But if the Steelers or Ravens take him at the end of the first round in their slots, we all know he will never be hurt again and will be a 10-time all-pro and hall of famer. 

• Sad 1