Jump to content
membengal

Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

Recommended Posts

The top PFF OL FAs:

 

5  T - Trent Williams - $20mil per

9. G Brandon Schreff - $15m per

13. T  T. Moton - $16.5m per

14. G Joe Thuney - $14.25 per

26. C - Corey Linsley - $11m per

32. T Russel Okung - $16.67m per

33. T A. Villanueva - $15m per

40. T Daryl Williams - $10.5m per

68. C David Andrews - $6m per

72.  C Austin Reiter - $4.75m per

75. T Kelvin Beachum - $4.5m per

79 C Alex Mack - $6m per

92 T Matt Feiler - $6m per

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have taken D. Williams (#40) the past couple years.   He's had to work on 1 year deals.   Solid RT.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

The top PFF OL FAs:

 

5  T - Trent Williams - $20mil per

9. G Brandon Schreff - $15m per

13. T  T. Moton - $16.5m per

14. G Joe Thuney - $14.25 per

26. C - Corey Linsley - $11m per

32. T Russel Okung - $16.67m per

33. T A. Villanueva - $15m per

40. T Daryl Williams - $10.5m per

68. C David Andrews - $6m per

72.  C Austin Reiter - $4.75m per

75. T Kelvin Beachum - $4.5m per

79 C Alex Mack - $6m per

92 T Matt Feiler - $6m per

Top OL on Mike’s radar:

155 T Joe “Swingin’” Gates - league minimum

179 G Bill “Speedy” Bump - bag of peanuts

210 C Jim “Snappy” High - pays Mike $10 a day to play

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He spent on Reader and Wayans last year. They can do that again. $126 million in FA in 2020 says the old jokes may not hold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Top OL on Mike’s radar:

155 T Joe “Swingin’” Gates - league minimum

179 G Bill “Speedy” Bump - bag of peanuts

210 C Jim “Snappy” High - pays Mike $10 a day to play

 

Dancing Bear Hernandez - You'll pay to see it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Larry Warford is not on that list but he is also a FA, not on the list because he exempted himself last year.

 

Also Okung is going to retire, per reports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maurkice Pouncey C Steelers is supposedly retiring AND Anthony Castonzo T Indy is retiring. 

So those were potential cap casualties/re signs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

210 C Jim “Snappy” High - pays Mike $10 a day to play

this was the Rapistburger's center in their playoff loss, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what happens but you got big deals coming for Jackson and Lawson otherwise you have bigger holes to fill.

Assuming they sign Lawson, Jackson.   Bates is up after this year.     With all that they need probably 10 starting upgrades.

I would easily take a 2004 secondary plan they did under Lewis once Sapp spurned them.   That landed them multiple starters on a division winner the next season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 https://theathletic.com/2321179/2021/01/19/will-cincinnati-bengals-invest-in-offensive-line-inside-the-decision-of-the-offseason/

Summary:   Speculation that Bobby Hart eventually gets cut.    RT would be a FA target(possible big $$).   Repeating the above Lap unlikely to be involved in big dollars for FA guard.   Would like Spain back, maybe.  Jordan potential and several 2nd FA guard targets.

2nd/3rd tier guard that would be awesome, IMO is Matt Feiler from Pitt.    RTs prospects includes Daryl Williams and Taylor Moton.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More and more mocks showing Sewell to the Bengals/being there at #5.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-justin-fields-goes-to-jacksonville-at-no-1-miami-picks-devonta-smith-lands-at-no-3

My opinion still is that if Sewell checks-out in pre-draft/combine workouts and interviews,  he's a no-brainer.  Makes your whole o-line better, your QB better, your RB and WR's better, and allows for more flexibility on the line when it comes to moving guys around, and immediately upgrades the talent level with a starter they likely won't have the cap room for in the off-season.  He also serve as much-needed Jonah insurance, as that guy can't seem to stay healthy yet (AND if he improves next season like Whitworth did in his 2nd full season - you got 2 great bookends and a capable QB who can win playoff games).

Of course nothing wrong with trading-down and getting the #2 OT or IOL or a DE/DT/LB instead, but, if you're going to stay put and he's there, just do it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steakhouse: taking Sewell is my second favorite way to go, with trading down being number 1

I am not 100% sold on Sewell and his year and a half of college experience -- but I am not sold on any of the top ten worthy prospects, so if we're gonna take a shot to me that shot should imo be at OL.

thats even if we manage to sign two top tier OL in FA

Chase would probably be third, then maybe Paye.  Maybe.  Not a Smith fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really need to be in the building around young Joe Burrow there! As should not had gotten hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Darrisaw a lot at about 10-15

Niners call for a trade from 12 to 5 for one of the three QBs and we're all set :-)

Hey, I am allowed to dream........:-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fave trade on PFF is 12, 44, and 113 from SF for the five. Can do a lot of positive business with those picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so we do actually think alike....errrrr.....sometimes :-)

I've made basically that same trade on PFF but I generally score a 1 or a 2 in the 2022 draft as a part of thepackage

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, membengal said:

My fave trade on PFF is 12, 44, and 113 from SF for the five. Can do a lot of positive business with those picks.

That would work for sure.   Very tempting if that would materialize.  It gives them 7 top 150 picks.

If they are having a good draft that fills some holes for sure. 

12, 37,44, 69,106, 113, 145

Edit:  They should have Tim Krumrie call pick 69.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

More and more mocks showing Sewell to the Bengals/being there at #5.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-justin-fields-goes-to-jacksonville-at-no-1-miami-picks-devonta-smith-lands-at-no-3

My opinion still is that if Sewell checks-out in pre-draft/combine workouts and interviews,  he's a no-brainer.  Makes your whole o-line better, your QB better, your RB and WR's better, and allows for more flexibility on the line when it comes to moving guys around, and immediately upgrades the talent level with a starter they likely won't have the cap room for in the off-season.  He also serve as much-needed Jonah insurance, as that guy can't seem to stay healthy yet (AND if he improves next season like Whitworth did in his 2nd full season - you got 2 great bookends and a capable QB who can win playoff games).

Of course nothing wrong with trading-down and getting the #2 OT or IOL or a DE/DT/LB instead, but, if you're going to stay put and he's there, just do it.  

A great situation to happen would be to sign one of the top FA tackles.   IMO,  Moton or Daryl Williams would be a significant upgrade to that position group and would potential to lift that position up to the level of Andre Smith in his prime.

That protects you at 5.   Then if Sewell is there you can grab him (if all the hype checks out).   Grabbing Sewell then gives the possibility of Williams at G.  Or if you wanted to groom Sewell for a season at LG.

But if Sewell isn't there or isn't your cup of tea you can entertain a top WR or trade down.

At the end of the day if adding talent to the line is a priority for them then there will be plenty opportunity to add at least 2 new starting bodies IF they want to between the draft and/or FA.

If we are sitting here at the end of April and looking at the same group as before.  Then that tells you management is happy with their guys (we aren't).  IMO, when it falls apart again that is something you can't lump on Zac or Pollack.  

I think we'll see some new faces on the line and hopefully they are type of faces that look like slam dunk upgrades on paper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

so we do actually think alike....errrrr.....sometimes :-)

I've made basically that same trade on PFF but I generally score a 1 or a 2 in the 2022 draft as a part of thepackage

I don't bother with future picks on the trade machine just because...it's useless for the purposes of doing a mock this year. But, yes, in real life, would try to get a future pick too. One of the reason I do so many mocks is to get a sense for if and when trading down makes sense. This feels like a good trade down year unless they have exactly who they want at 5. No reaching.

Here is a note from Matt Miller this AM:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's PFF's top 5 o-linemen:

Quote

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon
2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
4. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
5. Samuel Cosmi, Texas

Christian Darrisaw is a name you’re going to hear a lot more of in the coming months, and he could even come off the board as high as the top 10 when all is said and done. He earned the second-highest grade we’ve ever given to a Power Five tackle, posting a 95.6 overall mark. And he wasn’t exactly going up against slouches. He faced draftable edge defenders such as Carlos Basham (Wake Forest), Quincy Roche (Miami), and Victor Dimukeje (Duke) and shut them all down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, membengal said:

 

 

Yup. For once our biggest need, OL, actually matches the talent pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×