1st Round Pick: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

ArmyBengal

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, he’s proven so pro-ready it’s almost deflating in terms of excitement.

True.   The conversation will quickly move to "Burrow can't win the big one" or some other generic flaw.

See Lamar Jackson.   He instantly turned Baltimore around and quite frankly I'm not sure they are much better than a wild card contender without him even this year.  

The real focus will be/should be getting Burrow as many supporting parts as quickly as possible so he can cement his talent into tangible post season accomplishments.

Probably one of the reasons why I wish AJ Green isn't aging.   I'd like to have one more post season run with AJ as a bengal and a solid contributor with Burrow.   AJ Green within the first couple games you knew he was the real deal.  Basically turned the Bengals around quickly.  Burrow is that way too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PICK NO. 1: QB JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2020 overall grade: 74.9

Joe Burrow had a solid bounce-back game after a nightmarish outing in Week 5 against the Ravens. Facing a formidable Colts defense, Burrow produced a 73.8 overall PFF grade and again threw for over 300 yards with a 71.8% adjusted completion rate. It's a little concerning how Burrow has started to show signs of dropping his eyes and waiting for pressure to get home after five weeks of being battered by opposing defenses.

This week, he was hurried on only nine of 42 dropbacks but was still caught expecting pressure to arrive on some plays, which is a potentially worrying development if it continues. Overall, though, Burrow continues to impress despite the offensive line in front of him.

Things the Bengals' don't get or do.  Ask yourselves why Pittsburgh and Baltimore are at the top of the division every single year, and why the Browns have surpassed them now most likely.  They're smarter than the Bengals.  They want to win more.  They have GM's who focus on long term personnel/roster building.  The Bengals' wander around in Mike Browns' fantasy world of low effort, low energy, formulaic nonsense of building around WR''s, RB's and edge guys along with the QB.  Often ignoring up-the-middle needs that makes them soft, and skimping on depth and development.

• Like 1

Just now, Stripes said:

195 for 293 / 66.6% completions / 2,023 yards / 6.9 yards per attempt / 12 TDs (3 rushing) / 5 INTs

On pace for [arguably] the greatest statistical rookie season of all time. It'd be nice to reward him for his performance with some, yanno, victories.

Hey he’s wining everywhere but the scoreboard! Why screw up a good thing?

Seriously he’s been great but it will all be wasted because by the time they get lucky in enough drafts to field a real team he’ll be either mentally or physically destroyed. Fucking tragedy.

30 minutes ago, Stripes said:

195 for 293 / 66.6% completions / 2,023 yards / 6.9 yards per attempt / 12 TDs (3 rushing) / 5 INTs

On pace for [arguably] the greatest statistical rookie season of all time. It'd be nice to reward him for his performance with some, yanno, victories.

He's amazing. With no off-season. No camp. And he's doing this. Whatever else happens in 2020 for the Bengals, they didn't screw up the #1 pick. 

• Like 1

Burrow currently leads the NFL in pass attempts, completions, and completions for first downs (114). He's 3rd in passing yards. This is despite leading the league in times sacked (tied with Wentz who has been horrible) and sack yardage (28; 203).

I have a feeling his advanced grades from PFF will be quite positive this week.

This is not particularly relevant to anything, but it made me chuckle. We saw throughout the pre-draft offseason how hard the national media tried to make a story out of Burrow finding a way to avoid Cincinnati (something he never showed any remote interest in doing). Those same rumblings are already returning for Trevor Lawrence and the Jets. Maybe we're not alone.

I hope Burrow and Lawrence both carry moribund franchises to the top and metaphorically shit on ESPN's lawn.

Trevor Lawrence in the AFC would create a natural rivalry with Burrow because of last year's National Championship game.   Same with Tua.

However AFC is already loaded with young good QBs.    So the path doesn't need to get any harder.    AFC has Mahomes, Watson, Jackson.  Landed the top 3 QBs from last year's draft.

I hope the top QB talent from this year's draft lands in the NFC.