1st Round Pick: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

ArmyBengal

Through three games:

91/141 (64.5%),  821 yards, 5.8 yards per attempt, 6 TDs (1 rushing), 1 INT

The YPA is not great, but clearly Burrow is not to blame for that. He doesn't have nearly enough time to throw deep. Otherwise our guy is off to a stellar statistical start. He is going to be top 3 in the NFL in pass attempts when the week is over, perhaps even #1, and he only has one interception. That's kind of a miracle.

• Like 1

He’s ***damn amazing to have those numbers behind that line. He’s miraculous. For his first three starts to look that good under these conditions with no off season and the rest of the - gestures at line and coaches - well, it’s unreal how good he is. Hope he lives.

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s ***damn amazing to have those numbers behind that line. He’s miraculous. For his first three starts to look that good under these conditions with no off season and the rest of the - gestures at line and coaches - well, it’s unreal how good he is. Hope he lives.

So say we all.

9 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I was reffing youth soccer games, so I didnt get to watch or listen to the game, but I heard he got hit a LOT again...sacked 8 times?

GIMME

A

LINEMAN

jeeeebus

He got hit a lot.   Even on quick throws.    I also think there were several late hits on him not called that other vet QBs would get OR the line's reputation has them keeping their flags in the pocket.   

There were a couple sideline plays he was pushed to the ground out of bounds that have drawn flags with other Qbs.    There were a some quick crossing routes and he's still on the ground.

It was bad.    Probably hit over 60% of the time.  Maybe more.

Burrow's numbers through 3 games are beyond belief really.      There's no chunk plays or very little of them.   There's no running game. There's ton of pressure.    The guy reads and scans the field so well and has great underneath placement of the ball.

I'm almost to the point we shut him down for the rest of the year.    Why get him hit so much to the point he might tear something and have to go under the knife?

On 9/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, Stripes said:

91/141 (64.5%),  821 yards, 5.8 yards per attempt, 6 TDs (1 rushing), 1 INT

116/177 (65.5%),  1121 yards, 6.3 yards per attempt, 7 TDs (1 rushing), 2 INTs

I might just track this week by week for a quick visualization of his progression. He was able to get the ball downfield a little bit today, and it was great to see.

• Like 2

On the subject of first round picks, the Bengals have at least for now fallen out of the top 10.

If the draft were held today the Bengals would be drafting 13 or 14 depending on how the tiebreakers with the Eagles work out.

As bad as it seems Cincy has been, the fact is that here’s a depressingly large amount of even worse football being played right now.

That's an interesting stat, considering who is #2 and #3 - 2 of the top 5 QB's in the league.

That downfield passing game though is rough, 1 for 23 over 20 yards, no burners at WR, poor protection, probably not going to get a whole lot better this year, but one part of the passing game they need to work on.  I don't see why Tate and/or Higgins can't pull-down more long balls, they don't have any burners, gotta take advantage of situations that allow big passing plays and connect.

• Like 1

The more I see of him, the more he looks like a prototypical classic WCO QB. And this is exactly the kind of short to intermediate range passing numbers you want in that, because it’s the bread and butter of the offense.

What he really needs right now are for guys to catch those 10-ish yard passes and make a play — break a tackle, make a guy miss — and a crafty OC who can scheme guys open with room to make said play.

I think passing game deeper downfield is inhibited by a few things:

1) The two most disappointing receivers on the team so far (Ross and Green) are also the two most traditionally oriented to stretching the field.

2) Offensive line. Duh.

3) Lack of timing/chemistry between Burrow and Green beyond just Green struggling on his own. They had even less time together than most in the “offseason”, and they’ve had a hell of a time getting on the same page.

4) A few times, Burrow just missed. I’m no quarterback coach or analyst, but on some it didn’t look like an arm strength issue as much as him putting too much touch on the ball. We’ve seen him sling it, even on some overthrows, so he’s capable. I think he gets this sorted with experience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think passing game deeper downfield is inhibited by a few things:

1) The two most disappointing receivers on the team so far (Ross and Green) are also the two most traditionally oriented to stretching the field.

2) Offensive line. Duh.

3) Lack of timing/chemistry between Burrow and Green beyond just Green struggling on his own. They had even less time together than most in the “offseason”, and they’ve had a hell of a time getting on the same page.

4) A few times, Burrow just missed. I’m no quarterback coach or analyst, but on some it didn’t look like an arm strength issue as much as him putting too much touch on the ball. We’ve seen him sling it, even on some overthrows, so he’s capable. I think he gets this sorted with experience.

I agree with all of this. I also agree with mem that he needs a clear stud No. 1 WR. Anderson had Curtis and Collinworth, Palmer had Ocho, Dalton had Green. Burrow has...Higgins? Don’t get me wrong, I like Higgins, I like Boyd, I like Tate, but who is that elite guy? Not sure he’s here yet.

(somewhere, TJ will read this and scream, “no you mother@#&*)&$ @$$hole no WR in the first no no NOOOO repeat after me LINEMAN LINEMAN L8NEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!”.)

I think Tyler Boyd is actually starting to blow up in a way that reminds me of Antonio Brown. AB was an infuriating possession receiver constantly eating up first downs while Mike Wallace stretched the field early last decade. Then when Wallace left, AB took over as a dominant #1 force. I’m not saying Boyd will be that good, but the trajectory and skillsets are similar.

22 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I think Tyler Boyd is actually starting to blow up in a way that reminds me of Antonio Brown. AB was an infuriating possession receiver constantly eating up first downs while Mike Wallace stretched the field early last decade. Then when Wallace left, AB took over as a dominant #1 force. I’m not saying Boyd will be that good, but the trajectory and skillsets are similar.

One can hope.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:40 PM, HoosierCat said:

(somewhere, TJ will read this and scream, “no you mother@#&*)&$ @$$hole no WR in the first no no NOOOO repeat after me LINEMAN LINEMAN L8NEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!”.)

yup

well summarized

specifically, i want a dominant ORT in r1 and a solid ORG in r2, weighting the value of pass protection over run blocking

bonus if the ORG can longsnap and/or also play center

• Haha 1