Bengals take Burrow but .........

Scottishbengal

Had missed this column a few weeks ago on The Athletic (which is free for a few months - I cannot recommend it higher to you all) - a "what the scouts are saying" piece:

https://theathletic.com/1665631/2020/03/17/mcginn-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-offense/

Joe Burrow, LSU (6-3 1/2, 221): He threw for a record 60 touchdowns after firing just 16 touchdown passes in 2018, his first season at LSU after three of backup duty at Ohio State. “The one-year wonder does worry you a little bit but he’s put so much good stuff on tape,” one scout said. “His last four or five games, that’s as good as any quarterback has played in a long time. Now, he had a great supporting cast. I get that. But, man, he was dialing it up. Just average physical tools. He’s not going to amaze you with his arm strength. He’s a good athlete but he’s not a great athlete. He’s not impressive, but it all came together. You love the makeup. He’s a coach’s son, and his understated swagger kind of as opposed to the overstated swagger of Baker (Mayfield).” He dominated voting for the Heisman Trophy and elected not to run or throw at the combine. “The interesting thing about him, when you look at his face, he reminds me of Peyton Manning,” another scout said. “You look into his eyes and see the determination. He’s a much better athlete than Manning. He can run, too. I estimated 4.7 (seconds in the 40). Peyton was more of a statue. The arm strength is about the same … and being resourceful and making excellent decisions. The composure, the confidence, the mental toughness. He’s special.”

Reminds me of a horrible movie that I just love to watch.  "Draft Day" with Kevin Costner.

He was talking to his group of guys and said:
" Everybody has something. Even the great ones. Right? And pretty much everyone agreed that Peyton didn't have the arm strength, that he couldn't throw deep. But somehow, none of it seemed to matter."

That's where I am with the talk about Burrow's arm strength.
No one cared about his arm strength when he threw 60 TD's last season right ??

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Reminds me of a horrible movie that I just love to watch.  "Draft Day" with Kevin Costner.

He was talking to his group of guys and said:
" Everybody has something. Even the great ones. Right? And pretty much everyone agreed that Peyton didn't have the arm strength, that he couldn't throw deep. But somehow, none of it seemed to matter."

That's where I am with the talk about Burrow's arm strength.
No one cared about his arm strength when he threw 60 TD's last season right ??

Exactly right.   No matter who, they all had at least 1 thing wrong with them. 

Local news talking about how Miami is going to make a run at getting the #1 pick. I have already said I want Burrow and I while I’ve heard rumors of all the Miami first rounders, I will restate previous thoughts. That’s the “Start Point”. To give up Burrow, I would demand the moon.

No offer is good enough.  He’s potentially such a game changer that there isn’t enough in a draft to trade him.  If Miami offered their whole draft, I’d laugh in their face (then slow motion walk with my whole crew towards the camera while fiery explosions erupt behind us, all while a tasty Van Halen song blares, that’s right motherfuckers, Van Halen!

• Like 2

Crazy talk.  There should be no sacred cows especially for a player that isn’t even on your team and unproven.

There’s a price for Burrow.  It should be a big one in the sum of 5/6 significant draft picks this year and next.

I have my doubts Miami would do it. 

12 hours ago, COB said:

No offer is good enough.  He’s potentially such a game changer that there isn’t enough in a draft to trade him.  If Miami offered their whole draft, I’d laugh in their face (then slow motion walk with my whole crew towards the camera while fiery explosions erupt behind us, all while a tasty Van Halen song blares, that’s right motherfuckers, Van Halen!

I would take their entire draft for No.1 overall.

That gives them 8 top 70 picks at a minimum.

Hoosier and I have made the same point about what that haul looks like for the Bengals and exactly the reason why the Dolphins won't do it.

That being said, it will take more than three first rounders for me lift my head to acknowledge.
While I agree there is a price for Burrow, it's not 3 first rounders.  I'm assuming the Dolphins must feel the way we do about him.
IF that's the case, my starting point is their 3 first rounders this year, along with their second round pick and next years first.
Again, that's what would make me acknowledge their offer.  Accepting is still another story.

I was just surprised to hear local news report it so strenuously last evening.
A bigger surprise was that I bothered to pay attention to anything the news has to say.
I fucking hate most media outlets.  I have a strong aversion to agendas and total bullshit.

• Like 1

Imo it’s all just a function of there being nothing to talk about. Everything regarding the draft now is just rage clickbait, and suggesting the Bengals trade the first overall or take someone other than Burrow is the easiest possible way to generate that outrage and those clicks.

I think the latest Hobson makes clear (if you know your Hobson) just how IN they are on Burrow -   if there was ANY lean that way (trade down and taking Herbert) he would be signaling it in his columns. He isn't doing that AT ALL.   Basically latest column said they are spending max allowable of three hours a week with Burrow on zoom - my guess is he already has the offense. - AND taylor said flat out that seeing Burrow throw live was totally unnecessary (which was the ONLY thing Herbert had on Burrow in the evaluation process):

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-adjusting-to-first-draft-of-the-zooming-20s

The only thing you didn't get to a chance to see was a guy throw 40 throws in front of you," (re: Burrow) said Taylor of the cancellation (of the  LSU pro day). "At the end of the day, what does that really give you in the grand scheme of things? Sometimes that's a big factor if you take a guy in the fifth or sixth round. Something like that. We've had plenty of exposure to the guys that have put themselves in position to be the No. 1 pick. We feel very confident with whoever we decide to take."

We are now in the Zooming '20s, where those video conferences are becoming a way of life and the NFL Draft is no different. Teams can have three hours of contact with a prospect per week, no more than an hour at a time. Safe to say that in the past month or so Burrow's image has appeared in more Bengals coach’s homes than Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine.