Official Joe Burrow Thread

cincyhokie

Patrick said, “People can’t believe that you’d want to go play for the Bengals, why would you?  And I said, do you want to pull an Eli and say well I don’t want to play there.   And then they go well you’re from Ohio and I go well that doesn’t mean that you’re a Bengal fan.  This is a business decision.”

Dan Patrick, Joe Burrow is not a free agent.  He’s getting drafted, into a system that labor and management have bargained for and agreed upon.  He doesn’t have a “business decision” to make regarding which team he signs with.  

The utter scorn, the disdain, that Patrick assumes everyone agrees with when they’re discussing the Bengals is fucking infuriating.  Not that Mike gives a fuck.

• Like 2

They went to the playoffs 6 out 7 seasons.

Its not hard to mention that.  They don’t and it’s one sided reporting. 

No Bengal fan is asking for Mike Brown to be enshrined.  What they did under Dalton is very relevant when judging what will happen with Burrow. 

It’s not hard if you care about a fair story. 

Are the Colts allowed to draft Burrow? Dolphins?  Look at what they’ve done to first round QBs recently. 

Here’s some more Joe Burrow crack for mem:

Y’know, I get the optimism and excitement but...before we anoint him with Gatorade and set him at the right hand of Paul Brown to rule forever and ever amen...can we wait until he plays, like, y’know, a game? Just one real NFL game? I know, probably too much to ask.

30 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Here’s some more Joe Burrow crack for mem:

Y’know, I get the optimism and excitement but...before we anoint him with Gatorade and set him at the right hand of Paul Brown to rule forever and ever amen...can we wait until he plays, like, y’know, a game? Just one real NFL game? I know, probably too much to ask.

I say run wild with it.   I have no idea if Burrow is going to pan out.    I do know that Marvin had the most regular season success a Bengal's coach has ever had and it literally changed nothing as far as perception.   

So fuck it.  He's great and the Bengals are great.    Jump on the hype wagon.   

Of course it would make too much sense to double down on the hype wagon and actually have a First Day Free Agent signing.    So that won't happen.

28 minutes ago, membengal said:

No. Let's go ahead and be happy. I still think he's better than Dalton right now and with him they win half a dozen more games last year alone. 

Oh, I’m not suggesting you stop being happy. I’d just like to see him win a game before we install him in Canton.

Ok, the Joe Burrow thread.

I'm still in the camp that says you take Burrow with the #1 pick and there is little thought to it.
"If you don't have a franchise QB, you go get one."  Or at least you make the effort.

Trading down would be interesting, but I would want something unheard of.
In 2016 the Rams and Titans swapped first rounders #1 and #15 (which was a huge jump).
The Rams also gave up two 2nd round picks and a 3rd rounder in 2016, along with 1st and 3rd round pick in 2017.

Yes, I would want more regardless of where the other team trades up from.
A big move down the board could take them out of the top end QB's and everything else is a crap shoot.
I will concede that Burrow is also a crap shoot and I have no idea if he's a "generational talent" or not, but if they think he's close, you do it.

Sitting at #1 means they dictate the going rate for trades, but I am really not in favor of a trade down.
In fact, i'm not in favor of trading down anywhere.  Just the opposite, trade back up into the first if someone falls you didn't expect.

Again, using free agency wisely makes those types of moves more doable.

• Like 1

Scene opens on a nondescript executive office decorated in beiges and browns. A large, wheeled green garbage can sits next to a blocky wood desk that’s clearly from an earlier era. Cincinnati Bengals owner MIKE BROWN is seated at the desk, skimming through sheets of paper printed out from the internet and then tossing them into the trash can. Finally he pauses, frowns, and punches a button on a 60s-style intercom on the desk.

MIKE: Missus S’wiggans!

VOICE OF KATIE BROWN (exasperated): Daaaad! I told you to quit calling me that.

MIKE: (chuckles): Missus S’wiggans, can-a you come in here rite naow?

VOICE OF KATIE (flat, barely repressed fury): What. Do. You. Want. Dad.

MIKE: Someone on the internet has suggestions for improving the team. They want us to use quote free agency unquote. What the hell is “free agency”? I never heard of it.

VOICE OF KATIE: Me neither, Dad. You know better than to read what those people on the internet say. They don’t know how hard it is to run an NFL team. Hey, how did you even get on the internet anyhow, you don’t have a laptop or smartphone?

MIKE: I have Troy print these things out. Keeps him busy. Which reminds me, tell him the Lumina needs washing again.

VOICE OF KATIE: I will. Goodbye Dad.

MIKE glances one last time at the papers, shrugs, tosses the whole pile in the garbage can. He settles back in his chair and, in a few minutes, begins to snore loudly.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the Burrow thing has bubbled up on twitter again, I see. Not linking to any tweets because there’s nothing new and I don’t want to amplify these bozos, but man, the determination of the media to make this a thing is galling. There has always been a (largely justified imo) disdain for the organization out there, but this is a whole new level. There is clearly an element out there made up of some members of the media (and probably ex-Bengals players) who are just doing all they can to sabotage the first pick. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

And kudos for at least one guy, Prisco, having none of it.

Hoosier - agreed, I have never seen anything like it. I’m gonna have to sit out a few rounds or I may lose my mind on Twitter, but I am positive there’s never been such a coordinated effort to keep a player from a team before. 

• Like 1

Yeah, now you have Steve Bartkowski chiming in saying Burrow should pull an Eli Manning to get out of Cincinnati.

I mean I get the whole thing about how the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 91 and how Brown is considered a poor owner.
However, how exactly is a team suppose to get better if they simply let the perceived best player go and take the "next" best player ??
What about that dude ??  Should he have the same thoughts ??  and so on and so on ??

While we are at it, since the Bengals suck so much, lets just not let them take any players at all in the draft.
That way, all these poor unfortunate souls will have a real shot at winning.

Just ask a guy like Cam Newton.  I mean that dude is swimming in Lombardi's.

The draft can't come soon enough...

To expound:

I've genuinely never seen this kind of media driven agenda before to drive a player away from a team in the draft process. Washington is a dumpster fire inside a dumpster fire. Chase Young is supposed to be a generational talent. Can someone direct me to the articles that say that he should refuse to play for Dan Snyder? Detroit has a history of awful that is far worse than the Bengals. They wasted Barry Sanders for godssake. They are perennial disappointments. Where are the articles saying that Okudah should refuse to play for them? Miami as we all know has two decades of bad under their belt and their share of scandals and embarrassments in the interim. They literally tried to tank their way to #1 pick last year by selling off everything of value, where are the articles saying that Tua and Burrow should refuse to go there?

If someone can explain to me those discrepancies with regard to the constant efforts to get Burrow to say he is holding out and refuses to play for Cincinnati, I would be grateful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So the Burrow thing has bubbled up on twitter again, I see. Not linking to any tweets because there’s nothing new and I don’t want to amplify these bozos, but man, the determination of the media to make this a thing is galling. There has always been a (largely justified imo) disdain for the organization out there, but this is a whole new level. There is clearly an element out there made up of some members of the media (and probably ex-Bengals players) who are just doing all they can to sabotage the first pick. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

And kudos for at least one guy, Prisco, having none of it.

It was predictable.   QB talk drives NFL offseason talk.   This is a loaded year in the draft and Free Agency.      Hot takes will be plentiful.   X-Bengals are in a position to take advantage because of their status of being "X-Bengals".  

Last year it was Kyler Murray and baseball then two months of leadership questions because of an awkward Dan Patrick interview that Dan Patrick made awkward.   Surprise.   Joe Burrow goes on Dan Patrick this year and guess what?

Every few media personalities are going to defend the Bengals especially coming off 2-14.    They are not going to point out that Dalton has never been respected nationally and yet he went to the playoffs 5 straight years.   He did that on the backs of a great o-line, skill positions, and defense.  With a number of assistant coaches getting promoted upward including multiple head coaches.

Very few want to acknowledge the run of success this franchise.    Really all that's relevant is that and the speculation of can they repeat a similar run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

To expound:

I've genuinely never seen this kind of media driven agenda before to drive a player away from a team in the draft process. Washington is a dumpster fire inside a dumpster fire. Chase Young is supposed to be a generational talent. Can someone direct me to the articles that say that he should refuse to play for Dan Snyder? Detroit has a history of awful that is far worse than the Bengals. They wasted Barry Sanders for godssake. They are perennial disappointments. Where are the articles saying that Okudah should refuse to play for them? Miami as we all know has two decades of bad under their belt and their share of scandals and embarrassments in the interim. They literally tried to tank their way to #1 pick last year by selling off everything of value, where are the articles saying that Tua and Burrow should refuse to go there?

If someone can explain to me those discrepancies with regard to the constant efforts to get Burrow to say he is holding out and refuses to play for Cincinnati, I would be grateful.

Megatron also retired out of Detriot.    Luck also just retired out of Indy.      Yet, the Bengals are the franchise to avoid. 

Seems to me that talented players aren't guaranteed post season success in many franchises.  

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yeah, now you have Steve Bartkowski chiming in saying Burrow should pull an Eli Manning to get out of Cincinnati.

I mean I get the whole thing about how the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 91 and how Brown is considered a poor owner.
However, how exactly is a team suppose to get better if they simply let the perceived best player go and take the "next" best player ??
What about that dude ??  Should he have the same thoughts ??  and so on and so on ??

While we are at it, since the Bengals suck so much, lets just not let them take any players at all in the draft.
That way, all these poor unfortunate souls will have a real shot at winning.

Just ask a guy like Cam Newton.  I mean that dude is swimming in Lombardi's.

The draft can't come soon enough...

Well, the answer of course is now that it’s the Bengals we’re talking about, everything is fukked up ‘n’ stuff. For example, yesterday Mike Freeman got into a brief twitter skirmish with Joe Goodberry on the Burrow thing, with Joe gently shooting down his points and Freeman growing increasingly unhinged until we got here:

And there it is. The draft, which has worked this way since it began, is now RIGGED AND FIXED!11!1! because Bengals. We’ve gone beyond the “does Burrow have any leverage” question (spoiler: no) and straight onto “the draft needs to be blown up so the Bengals don’t get a good player.” It’s utterly bonkers.

And again, kudos to Prisco for giving the idea the rolling eyes response it deserved.

Using the Browns as an example is low hanging fruit.  They've destroyed more QBs than anyone can remember.

However,  the Colts as recently as 2012 drafted a QB that everyone suspected would be a Franchise QB.   Failed to build a line in decent amount of time.   Lost a number of starts due to that AND then this guy retires because of his injuries.

But it's OK if they would trade up for 1 of the future franchise QBs, because they had Peyton Manning, I guess.    Despite the horrible luck they had prior to Peyton Manning.

Just crazy talk. 

• Like 1

Crazy talk indeed. Y’know, I’m not normally one to go in for media conspiracy theories. I’ve worked in the media for decades, I get how it works and I expected a certain level of ginning up controversy for clicks, and making mountains out of molehills because news is slow and the Content Monster demands to be fed 24/7. And yes, I also realize that some of this is just trolling because some people get off on poking other people with sticks.

But this...this has a really ugly undercurrent I didn’t expect. To paraphrase Sally Field’s famous awards speech, “They hate us. They really, really hate us.” To suggest Burrow should hold out because he’d have a better chance with a more historically successful franchise is one thing. But to suggest, as one actual newspaper columnist did yesterday, that he should hold out because “the Bengals don’t deserve him” is just angry, spiteful stuff. And to me at least it suggests that their real concern isn’t for Burrow.

They aren’t really worried that the Bengals will ruin Burrow. They’re worried that Burrow will win a championship for Mike Brown. And it’s that thought that’s driving them over the edge.

• Thanks 1

Again, there are plenty of QB's that were thought to be the "next coming" only to not have Super Bowl championships in their resume.
The list of 1st round QB's over the last ten years includes 30 players.  Exactly ONE of them has won a Super Bowl.  Mahomes this year.

What about teams like the Vikings, Jags, Titans, Redskins, Bills, Browns, and Cardinals that have each taken multiple 1st round QB's in the last 10 years ??
The fucking Browns have taken 3 for God's sake and all have failed.

Yet, the Bengals should not take a QB first overall because they have a history of suck.

• Like 1

Go another 5 years back from the 10 year marker and you find about 13 more 1st round QB's.
Only 4 of them were on a roster last seasons with only two of them having won a Super Bowl.

Rodgers and Flacco

Look, Burrow may not bring a Super Bowl to Cincinnati, but if he doesn't, he will be no different than the shit ton that have come before him.
It also won't be because the Bengals just suck so bad, it will be because how fucking hard it is for a team to achieve that level of success.

Let that soak in.  Only 3 QB's drafted in the first round over the last 15 years have won a Super Bowl.
Ouch...

It's what media has become today.    You have to say outrageous things to get noticed.     The Bengals currently suck.   They historically suck.

So there is some natural concern about whether or not they will be able to successfully rebuild under Zac and a secondary question of If they have some success what amount and level it will be.   Fair enough.

However, 30 super bowls have been won by 5 franchises.     The league is a parity league TO A POINT!   Teams can and do go up and down in regards to playoff contention and participation but the Championships is much more exclusive.    So having post season success is not guaranteed for any college all-star and for the majority of franchises. 

All that's relevant today is what the Bengals did for Palmer/Dalton and however they achieved that success can they recreate and move the bar even higher than what Marvin was able to do. 

• Like 1