(Bust His) Cherry Carbine Bowl: Ravens @ Bengals Pregame Thread

HoosierCat

INJURY UPDATE: Monday’s practice had to be the healthiest workout since the season started. Only cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (knee) and right guard Alex Redmond (foot) were out. Wide receiver A.J. Green (ankle) still looks like he’s shooting for Wednesday to go full go. A slew of players that missed the past few games were working: left end Carl Lawson (hamstring), cornerback Darqueze Dennard (hamstring) right guard John Miller (groin) and right tackle Andre Smith (ankle).

Let the Dead Cat Bounce begin! The road to 8-8 and another mid-first-round tight end bust starts now!

6 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Well Taylor says AJ feeling good and is going to play. Now AJ said he is not feeling good after the walk through. 

So who the hell runs this team, what a big mess this team is from the coaches to the players to the front office. 

I know AJ has always been the ultimate team player, has been saying all the right things, but I can’t help wonder if he’s...well, let’s just say overstating his level of physical discomfort. Or at the very least, listening to voices from his camp reminding him about how he tried to come back early from the toe injury and reinjured that, and how something like that happening here would be bad for his value on a new contract (here or elsewhere).

Not I am NOT saying he’s deliberately dogging it and plans to sit out the rest of the year or anything. At least not yet. But I think the question has to have entered the conversation, what exactly is the upside for him getting on the field in Cincy right now?

• Like 1

I don’t know but I would think it’s in his best interest to go out and produce to get more $$$$.

During the trade period the highest rumored compensation was a first rounder.   

That’s not a good sign the world outside the Bengals is ready to pay you  near Julio Jones. 

The more he misses, I would think teams are going to sway towards “prove it” type deal.

Nobody is paying top $ for a 32 year old WR that hasn’t played since November 2018.    

Do teams work guys out before a trade?  If so, he could demonstrate that he’s healthy that way. 

He just seems like the type of player that would have a hard time faking an injury for 8 games.  Anyone can make it a game or two, but you have to be pretty devious to fake half a season.  I think he’ll be back.  After this season, I think he’s gone.

12 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

I don’t know but I would think it’s in his best interest to go out and produce to get more $$$$.

During the trade period the highest rumored compensation was a first rounder.   

That’s not a good sign the world outside the Bengals is ready to pay you  near Julio Jones. 

The more he misses, I would think teams are going to sway towards “prove it” type deal.

Nobody is paying top $ for a 32 year old WR that hasn’t played since November 2018.    

Yeah, I think you can make a case for either scenario. And the most likely explanation is it was just a bad sprain that’s taking time to heal. It’s just been such a process that I can’t help but wonder.

10 hours ago, COB said:

Do teams work guys out before a trade?  If so, he could demonstrate that he’s healthy that way. 

He just seems like the type of player that would have a hard time faking an injury for 8 games.  Anyone can make it a game or two, but you have to be pretty devious to fake half a season.  I think he’ll be back.  After this season, I think he’s gone.

Yeah, all trades are conditioned on passing a physical. I think he’ll be back too, but we’ll see how much urgency is there.

Julio Jones is basically getting $64m over this season and the next 2.       IF AJ wants to be in that ball park he'll have to play and play well this year.

The problem for him without playing is that the majority of Free Agent money is spent within the first few hours of Free Agency, because the deals are negotiated before the period opens.    That leaves him in the dark because he can't go and visit and do workouts etc.    If you are on the market past day 1 then it gets tougher to get the Julio Jones type coin.

Franchise tag type money of $17 mil a year will be there for him without playing but either way he's looking at taking on some risk to make up ground on the Julio Jones deal.

On the Bengals side they are looking at having to commit about 6-8 mil more of cap room to keep him on a multi year deal.    The best deal for the Bengals might be the tag option.

So maybe what could be going on is AJ is thinking he's got Tag money regardless and thinks the Bengals are only going to offer Tag money right now, so why play? 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Julio Jones is basically getting $64m over this season and the next 2.       IF AJ wants to be in that ball park he'll have to play and play well this year.

The problem for him without playing is that the majority of Free Agent money is spent within the first few hours of Free Agency, because the deals are negotiated before the period opens.    That leaves him in the dark because he can't go and visit and do workouts etc.    If you are on the market past day 1 then it gets tougher to get the Julio Jones type coin.

Franchise tag type money of $17 mil a year will be there for him without playing but either way he's looking at taking on some risk to make up ground on the Julio Jones deal.

On the Bengals side they are looking at having to commit about 6-8 mil more of cap room to keep him on a multi year deal.    The best deal for the Bengals might be the tag option.

So maybe what could be going on is AJ is thinking he's got Tag money regardless and thinks the Bengals are only going to offer Tag money right now, so why play? 

Could be. And there’s also that, even with age and injury warts, a player of Green’s caliber rarely comes on the market, and it only takes one team. We’ll just have to see.

18 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Can someone please translate

Yes.    AB feels like his ability to play football and his work towards playing football should give him the right to act like an idiot.   He is also mad that the NFL is making money off his abilities.    It seems he is going to retire.

• Like 1

Green today, via Hobs:

A glum A.J. Green didn’t practice Thursday and he indicated that his swollen ankle is going to take him out of Sunday’s game (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Local 12) against the Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium. Now he’s not sure when he’ll make his first appearance or even when he’ll practice again, but he still thinks he’ll play in 2019.

“I'm a competitor. I want to play, but sometimes you go through these bumps in the road, that you've got to stay focused,” Green said Thursday before the Bengals ventured into a frosty rain on the Paul Brown Stadium turf. “You've got to look at the long-term picture. I've got to make sure I can play for another five years without having to worry about this thing, not just thinking of the now.”

But now he says that five-year clock starts in 2020 and not this season, doomed from the start when he tore ligaments in his ankle during the first 45 minutes of training camp. On Monday, Green had the most arduous practice since the injury and was on track to play against the Ravens. But during Wednesday morning’s walk-through the ankle swelled up and was sore and he couldn’t go in the ensuing practice. Dating back to last season’s big toe injury, he’s missed the last 13 games and 16 of the last 17.

Green cited the toe injury as a reason he’s not pushing it. Last season he came back after missing three games, but he was able to only go one quarter when he returned before being lost for the season.

https://www.bengals.com/news/a-j-green-vows-to-return-in-2019-despite-setback

And there it is. I can’t blame him for putting the priority on the future.

Yeah I don't see any drama here, at least not yet, just another vet on this team who isn't going to play hurt this year, and I don't blame him at all.  As to how this plays out in the off-season, that all depends on if he comes back this season or not, what he looks like, and how he holds-up. 

But I think the Bengals' would be foolish to give him a 5-year deal regardless.