Draft pick grades after reading scouting reports

Round 1 Pick 11 OT                        Jonah Williams A

Can play anywhere but C versatility, addresses the biggest issue on Offense has all the tools

Round 2 Pick 20                              Drew Sample TE B+

An every-down, every tool TE that was ranked the best pass blocker in the draft and compared to Jason Whitten

Round 3 Pick 9                                 Germaine Pratt LB B

Picked in the draft range that many had for him, comparable speed and longer reach than the Devin's

Round 4 Pick 2                                 Ryan Finley QB  B

The right place for the backup to Andy

Round 4 Pick 23                               Renell Wren DT B-

Hopefully, the coaches can teach him something other than his very good bull rush move

Round 4 Pick 34                               Michael Jordan OG B

Has flashes of everything needed, needs to work on his consistency :edit: Just found out that this kid is a lifelong Bengals fan, how cool is that story :edit:

Round 6 Pick 9                               Trayveon Williams RB  B-

He does the job asked of him, depth

Round 6 Pick 38                             Deshaun Davis LB B-

The heart of Auburn's D for the past two seasons

Round 6 Pick 39                                Rodney Anderson RB A

This kid had Tyler Eifert syndrome in college, but he is a top five RB this season easy with a full year.  Swinging for a HR late, love it

Round 7Pick 9                                  Jordan Brown CB A

Small school, big time player.  Can he make the jump?  Another swing for the fences LOVE IT!

A very aggressive draft for the new staff.  They may have solved a couple of holes for this year and they made moves late to add future starters to the depth.  Got to love that they went after some guys late with the extra picks 

I REALLY LOVE THIS DRAFT AFTER RESEARCHING THE PICKS.  I had to because I had not heard of some of them.

A total draft grade of B+

To me it’s almost the same story it’s been for about 9 years.

On paper the Bengals put together a solid draft.   

We all know there is a world of difference the day after the draft and 3 years but time and time again they put together B+ or better drafts. 

See if it works out.  

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

We all know there is a world of difference the day after the draft and 3 years but time and time again they put together B+ or better drafts. 

See if it works out.  

This isn’t similar to that many in the last 5-7 years. The Ogbuehi year was joke like. This represents, to me, a fresh start. No Marvin draft addition by subtraction. 

When we're grading the draft we're grading the strategy, right? Not trying to look into the future and see if these picks pan out.

I have the same feeling about this draft as I did when the Bengals hired Zac Taylor. I love the picks. Who knows what happens, but damn. It's nice to see a change. 

And you can clearly see where Zac Taylor has a heavy influence on who is drafted vs. Marvin. Hallelujah. ***damn and good riddance, Melvin. Zac Taylor is building HIS squad here and this is the first crack at it. This is an unfinished product but you need to give credit for them sticking to their plan.

I'll give it a B+. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

See if it works out.  

Yep.  I don't think good drafts are new here.  Marvin's last couple weren't great, but generally it was a strength of the franchise during his tenure.  If there's any readily apparent difference with this one, it's that the picks seem to be character-oriented as much as talent-oriented.  So neat.

We'll see how it goes when they're playing actual football.

30 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Yep.  I don't think good drafts are new here.  Marvin's last couple weren't great, but generally it was a strength of the franchise during his tenure.  If there's any readily apparent difference with this one, it's that the picks seem to be character-oriented as much as talent-oriented.  So neat.

We'll see how it goes when they're playing actual football.

I saw a big difference in the type of player that they were looking to get, football junkies not physical freaks.

I like the change to players that love the game even if they dont have the measurables, they will give anything they can to do the job on the field.  Just look at

Erickson, he has drive and not overwhelming talent, but he always seems to get it done when asked.

The difference I'm really hoping to see if what happens with the rookies now.
Do we see the Marvin approach where rookies sit more often than not in favor of some older Veteran who has "leadership" ??
Or do we see a true position battles where players are going to earn their time ??

I won't bemoan past draft simply because I was sick of Marvin and will admit they did manage to find talent.
It just seemed like you just weren't going to see those guys play until their 3rd year in favor of some no one.

I know it's a balance for coaches, but part of me would almost rather see them try and fail if the talent is there rather than sit and hope.

My take aways and not trying to brag just trying to support my position that this was a really good draft.

1- Dalton is safe in the short term.   This is the right move for people that want to see a competitive team.  It’s the wrong move for those that believe Dalton will never deliver on key primetime and playoff games.

2. Haskins OSU qb got bad advice. Should have stayed another year.  Overrated prospect.  A Duke QB selected over him. Denver passed then took Lock.  Dolphins passed then traded.  Bengals passed then took Finley.   Anyone downgrading Bengals draft because they didn’t take Haskins is off base.  

3. Offensive Tackle.  We know the story and the wounds.  Last year’s tackle class not good.  This year’s good.  Some where on here is me giving A++++ grade to Jonah Williams, Dillard and probably any other highly graded tackle. 

4. Blocking TE.  Again somewhere on here there is plenty of complaints about bad TE run blocking.   Hasn’t been close since Gresh left and Hue’s scheme change. 

5. Top 3 pick should have opportunity to get on the field.

6. Somewhere on here there is me saying former Safeties turned LB is what they need. 

7. Seems like a yearly mocking of comp picks and never trading.  It happened

8. Bobby Fart or Hart.  In the melt down of resigning him it was pointed out by me.  They had no one and they aren’t done.  Rumor is they wanted to but couldn’t trade up in 2nd to grab another tackle.   

9. Direction. Again we know the story and the wounds of horrible line moves.  Took last year’s pick and turned it into Glenn and Price.  This year’s top pick Tackle.  Trade up for another OL.  Blocking TE. 

I think this is a solid draft.  Did what I thought was important so I gotta give them an A.  

None of this means crap after they get on the field.  Hopefully it works out. 

Said it from day 1.  Being a Buckeyes fan, I loved what Haskins did there.  A fan of how his game will translate to the NFL ??  Not so much.
So glad the Bengals didn't waste their time on him.

Can't agree more with the o-line pick and blocking TE, even though I don't know much about him.

AMPHAR, I get that they had to sign someone (Hart), but the timing of that deal and the amount still suck.
No one was kicking down his door to offer him a multi-year deal at that amount.  NO ONE...
Hopefully he gets to hand players towels and Gatorade all season long because he sucks.

I would have loved to see what the trade back up into the 2nd round would have looked like on paper.
Curious what they would have had to give up in those discussions.

Love all the trading that took place, both up and down, even though the trade down was a little perplexing to me.
I think they should have gone BPA and just made the pick.  I could be wrong obviously.

All in all, still a solid draft worthy of a B to B+.  Has potential to become an A as we move forward.

So this might be the best place to put random thoughts about the new coaching staff, scheme and team as gleaned from the draft:

1. I really didn't have a good handle on what a Rams-style offense was, I guess, but I have a better handle now. As puzzling as the pick of Sample was when it happened, it gives a shining neon clue about how important that particular position is to what Taylor and Callahan want to do. Basically Williams and Sample (and Jordan in round 4) were this staff's complete repudiation of the attention and care paid to the line and run blocking under Marvin the last few years. They have created a genuinely crowded offensive-line room now, and that is great news because guys will need to fight for their position and it gives them lots of options to find the kind of players they need to run their scheme.

2. The new staff believes in John Ross. No other conclusion can be drawn. They had a chance to challenge him in the WR room several times (most notably in Round 2) and waited until the UDFA portion to bring someone in - and that person will clearly be challenging the Core and Malone part of the receiver room. I will take the optimistic view and figure that means they think they have something really good to work with in Ross.

3. It is crystal clear now just how important they view the running game. We have Taylor's words about wanting to make sure Mixon is fresh for the entire season and then two picks spent on RBs who should help with just that behind Mixon and Gio. And probably means we have Gio's replacement in house now for when this year is done.

4. With Pratt being the only real addition to the LB room, I guess I am now wondering/hoping if they think they can work with Malik Jefferson. If Jefferson can be saved and be useful, than Jefferson and Pratt are like drafting two new LBers for that unit. 

5. I am glad they will have a legit back-up for Dalton. I missed McCarron last year, as it turned out, from that role.

Taylor will be on the Bengals Beat Podcast tonight with Dehner and Page -- I don't know if they offer that live (they are doing it at 6:00 at 50 West) but look for it on your podcast feed tomorrow - should be interesting - I know Sample will come up and we may hear more about his philosophy on offense.

No one was kicking down his door to offer him a multi-year deal at that amount.  NO ONE...

Very little guaranteed after this year. They clearly signed him and Miller to give them options in the draft - if the draft fell differently they were prepared to roll with those guys - but it's telling they didn't let their signings keep them from addressing the line.  I think all the free agent signings were aimed at giving them as many options as possible in the draft, so they didn't have to sign any one player or position.  

huge, huge needs were LB and OL. The way this draft year was set up, the best possible scenario for the Bengals was that the LBer would fall to them in round 1 (because there weren't ANY other LBers of any quality in this draft), and then a trade up to the top of round 2 would net a top OL. 

Foiled again by Pittsburgh, so a top LB will have to await another year. But if they couldn't trade up in Rd 2, then perhaps it's good that Pittsburgh cut them because they just had to have an OT.  

the biggest thing that comes out of this draft is that Cincy's new defensive coordinator has just a beast of a task in front of him. 

Second biggest thing is that the Bengals really believe in Drew Sample. In years past, they would have simply resigned Tyler Kroft and let the position ride for another year. Hopefully, they're right about Sample. I'm pulling for him. 

It certainly makes sense that a team with Andy Dalton as QB should have a much better OL, plus a top blocking TE. It certainly makes sense that a team with Andy Dalton as QB should be rich in RBs. And it  makes sense that Dalton's backup would be a guy a lot like him so the offense doesn't have to be adjusted if he were to be injured.  So I thought that this draft, in general, made a lot of sense. I  liked the value of Jordan (Rd 4), Williams (Rd 6) and Brown (Rd 7)

I was surprised that no safety and no WR was selected. Seemed like a good year to find one late. Stanley Morgan just signed, but I'm still waiting on a safety

I'd rate this draft a C overall

The first pick was great - the perfect guy fell right to us, so this had moe to do with luck than anything.  I firmly believe that if Shittsburgh hadnt traded in front of us, we'd have taken Bush

The second pick was gawdawful bad.  Feels like we took a 6th rounder -- where pure blocking TEs are obtained - in the 2nd round.  If he turns into a 3 down TE my view of this draft will be much improved

I have warmed to the third rounder.  I wanted a coverage LB - emphasis on coverage - and this guy seems to be that, especially given all his time as a rather large Safety.  I was asked by someone (mem maybe?) why I keep saying he only rated one game.  Well, thats what the nfl.com profile says, very first sentence " Pratt only started one game in three years with the Wolfpack " https://www.nfl.com/prospects/germaine-pratt?id=32195052-4163-5713-12ab-3117ec02a181

Finley was great value in r4, albeit a bit of a gamble given that he played for 2 different programs and never got a chance to be "the man" consistently.  He may be far better than he was able to show in college.  If he is, this was a great pick.  If he is what he showed us in college, this is a meh pick.  But we did need a developmental QB to be ready in 2 years when Dalton's contract comes up.  So it had to be.  But - I'd rather have Rosen in trade for our second rounder and a 4th round TE

The undersized DT was a wasted pick.  I was very wrong about another undersized DT taken in a 4th a few years back, but for now......wasted pick when we needed to get another starter-level OL or LB.  Should have gone with Mack Wilson with this pick, or the next pick for the OG.  I would greatly prefer Wilson over this pick or the next.

Trading up for a OG, lifelong Bengals fan or not, was a waste of multiple pick

I like both of the RBs as well as where they were taken.  The flyer taken on the oft injured star RB in particular.  If he doesnt recover, so be it, we're only out a 6th rounder.  If he puts the injuries behind him - and some players have - this might well be the best pick of our draft.  Low risk, high potential return.  We'll see.

I dont like the second LB taken because late in the draft I want to see athleticism and speed rather than a limited athlete who is more or less plug-n-play.  I see this player at best as another Hardy Nickerson - knows what to do but doesnt have the athletic ability to get it done.  I pray I am wrong and this guy turns out to be a great signal caller and leader of our D

The 7th round corner is more the type I like to see taken late - raw athletic specimen.   Also has Good height and decent speed.  Good value here

I think we should have taken a S (or perhaps even a WR) with return skills instead of either the OG or the DT

I'd rate this draft a C overall

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

Mack Wilson was fucking awful. 

We will see twice a year against the Browns.
I hope you are right Mem, because if we missed on him, that will be an epic miss at a position of great need.

LB is still my biggest issue with this team and it has been for many years.
This team simply doesn't not invest in LB's early and it has hurt them for the most part.

Pitt didn’t steal anything.

Lapham who has the best track record of predicting the pick basically said Dillard because Williams wouldn’t be there a day or two before the draft.

After selecting Williams they reportedly tried to trade back up in 2nd for another tackle.

They did trade back up for OSU OL. 

They resigned Hart.  Entertained Buffalo FA tackle. 

Bengals probably take Dillard over Bush IF Williams was off or Sweat. 

If anything Pitt ensures they got their top guy.  Denver took Risner in the 2nd and then the Bengals traded out. 

Denver keeps the pick they could have gone tackle. 

of course Pittsburgh moved in front of Cincy for a reason. That's why they spent so much. If you're hot for a player, then you like him even more if you take him away from a team that you play twice a year. it's a solid strategy. No need for sour grapes.

Cincy got a good consolation prize, but Pitty's move also made it impossible to repair that bad defense in 2019. Next year. 

25 minutes ago, princeton said:

of course Pittsburgh moved in front of Cincy for a reason. That's why they spent so much. If you're hot for a player, then you like him even more if you take him away from a team that you play twice a year. it's a solid strategy.

I am hoping that loss of a r2 pick (and the third rounder next year) will come back to bite them in the butt later