Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

Bengals are down Two tackles and entertained the tackle from Buffalo in FA.

Not sure if he signed but I expect OT combined with the prospects available to get early consideration.  Also wouldn’t be shocked with FA singing right before draft.

D-line is loaded with “franchise” graded guys so that’s always going to be in play. 

QB, I don’t see it but who knows? 

Here is the comprehensive list of pre-draft visits by the Bengals:

SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting. 

• Josh Allen, 3-4OLB/OLB, Kentucky (PRI)
  • Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky (EW)
  • Casey Bednarksi, K, Minnesota State (WOR)
  • Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan (PRI)
  • Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Te'Von Coney, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (PRO)
  • Jake Dolegala, QB, Central Connecticut State (PRI)
  • Jaylon Ferguson, DE/3-4OLB, Louisiana Tech (PRI)
  • Ryan Finley, QB, N.C. State (PRI)
  • Cody Ford^, OT/G, Oklahoma (PRO, PRI)
  • Rashan Gary, DE/3-4DE, Michigan (PRI)
  • Will Harris, S, Boston College (PRO)
  • Brandon Hitner, OT, Villanova (PRI)
  • Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (PRO)
  • Trenton Irwin, WR, Stanford (PRI)
  • Daniel Jones, QB, Duke (COM)
  • Donnie Lewis, CB, Tulane (PRI)
  • Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State (LOC)
  • Adrian Middleton, DT, Kentucky (WOR)
  • Wyatt Miller, OT, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Jachai Polite, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (PRI)
  • Anree Saint-Amour^, 3-4OLB, Georgia Tech (PRO, PRI)
  • Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State (WOR)
  • Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M (WOR)
  • Montez Sweat, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (PRI)
  • Brian Wallace, OT, Arkansas (WOR)
  • Devin White, ILB, LSU (PRI)
  • Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE, Alabama (COM)
  • Chase Winovich, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Michigan (WOR)

There are a ton of names on that list that interest me. I know there has been a lot of back and forth but I honestly think the Bengals are going to be sitting pretty with who will be on the board when they pick.

For the record, I’m a huge fan of Jace Sternberger the TE from A&M.

• Like 1

Here are the visits specifically for projected first round picks:

• Josh Allen, 3-4OLB/OLB, Kentucky (PRI)
  • Daniel Jones, QB, Duke (COM)
  • Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE, Alabama (COM)

There you go. One of these guys will be picked on Thursday at #11. I'll leave out Qunnien Williams, Josh Allen and Daniel Jones. Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen because they'll be gone and Daniel Jones because I only think the Bengals would look at him in the 2nd round, not the 1st.

Here's another look without Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, and Daniel Jones:

•  
  •  

For fun, I'll take a guess at their big board ranking (based on need):

1. Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE, Alabama (COM)

2. Josh Allen, 3-4OLB/OLB, Kentucky (PRI)

3.  Devin White, ILB, LSU (PRI)

4.  Montez Sweat, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Mississippi State (PRI)

5.  Rashan Gary, DE/3-4DE, Michigan (PRI)

6.  Cody Ford^, OT/G, Oklahoma (PRO, PRI)

7.  Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (PRI)

8.  Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan (PRI)

18 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Forgot about Ford,  didn't realize the Bengals' rated him that high (no problem with that, just didn't know).  Could play RG or RT and start from day one most likely.

Yep. And he’s the only player they met with at his pro day and had in for an interview at PBS. It would not surprise me at all to see him picked at #11 overall.

Here's a scenario that I'm not sure we've discussed. What about a trade down?

What if the Bengals don't get one of their top guys available at #11 and are able to trade down to Miami at #13 or Washington at #15 to get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

They'd still be able to get a really good OL, like a Dalton Risner or Andre Dillard, or DE or DT or  prospect, like Rashan Gary or Clelin Ferrill, AND get an extra day 2 pick.

I'd say do it. This is especially likely if Dwayne Haskins falls to #11. Imagine what they could do with an extra 2nd round pick at LB, OL, QB, or TE if they did that.

11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Here's a scenario that I'm not sure we've discussed. What about a trade down?

What if the Bengals don't get one of their top guys available at #11 and are able to trade down to Miami at #13 or Washington at #15 to get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick? 

They'd still be able to get a really good OL, like a Dalton Risner or Andre Dillard, or DE or DT or  prospect, like Rashan Gary or Clelin Ferrill, AND get an extra day 2 pick.

I'd say do it. This is especially likely if Dwayne Haskins falls to #11. Imagine what they could do with an extra 2nd round pick at LB, OL, QB, or TE if they did that.

I'd really like this, but need to add a trade back up into the 3rd also, with some of those 6th round picks.

Quality not quantity,  the Bengals need to get 6 good players that can help the team this season.  They are set up to accomplish that if they work some trades.

I can't say as I would want to see them trade down unless it brings another 2nd, but I think that's more than a 5 spot fall in the order and I am NOT a fan of that.
I would rather have the perceived talent at #11, then dropping all the way to the late teens, just for another pick.
Use your 5th and the five 6th rounders and make even a small move back up.  Maybe back up into the 4th.

5 picks in the first four rounds would really help this team out, but I'd rather see them be aggressive in moving forward.

48 hours until the draft, so who are we taking ??

Give your top 3 choices of who you think we will be taking tomorrow night.

1.  Devin Bush, LB, Michigan-  I think Josh Allen and Devin White are gone and they go with option #3, which most won't complain about.
2.  Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama-  If it's not a LB, it has to be an o-line pick here and I think Williams will be on the board on #11.
3.  Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida-  This is my pick for the player that unexpectedly falls into our lap at #11 and if that happens, he's our new RT.

Outliers would be defensive line help, but I still have a hard time justifying that pick as much as the above.

Here's another thought. What if Malik Jefferson ends up being a great addition to this LB corps this season? What if what they see in him could allow them to pass on an LB in the first 2 rounds?

I'm not saying it's true, but what if? I'm sure we would love if that happened. But part of me would hate Melvin Lewis even more. And I really do think that this team was severely held down by inept and subpar coaching. Hopefully the days are gone when top draft picks will be benched in favor of lacking veterans. Or that token 2nd or 3rd round pick that just "happens to end up on IR" with a mystery injury allowing that aging veteran to not have his feelings hurt because he got replaced by a rookie with better talent.

Fuck Melvin. 

My guess is OT.    They are down two tackles.  3 if you count Andre Smith.  There is an immediate roster need.  Immediate short term talent need and need 2/3 seasons out.

This years OT class is deeper and better than the previous 2 years combined probably, just based on draft grades and what not. 

Which one?   I don’t know.  They all have good draft reports.   Could see two taken early. 

They’ve tried to move on from Andre and kept knocking the dust off Winston.    

Got to throw draft picks at it and solve it. 

The reason I put LB ahead of the OT spot was for that very reason AMPHAR.  It's a deeper and more talented class than LB.
I think the drop off after to top 2-3 linebackers is pretty steep.  OT's ??  Not as much.
If you skip LB in the first, you better make sure you have a guy you really think is going to work and then do whatever you can (trades) to make sure you get him.

I think there are 3rd round OT's that could push Hart for the starter's position.
That being said, I won't be upset if they go with an OT early and won't be surprised.

41 minutes ago, COB said:

Steelers tack an extra two years onto the one year left on Ben’s existing deal.  

Great news for us, he’s in decline but the stupid Steelers are in denial.  

Fuck Big Ben.  I'm telling you that the impact of losing of AB is going to be larger than they think.
But it's the stupid Steelers and think they can just plug the next guy in and get the same results.
Tell me how Smith-Schuster is going to do without AB and his 15 TD's last year without him.

10 hours and counting.  Well, for those of you all geeked up like me about tonight's draft.

Talk is that the Falcons want to move into the top 10 to beef up their o-line.
See, that's what I'm talking about.....  Know what you want/need and go get it.

Who knows how it shakes out, but seeing a team trying to trade up, targeting a position that is one of our needs, sucks.

25 minutes ago, membengal said:

I assume you all saw that Lapham guessed Andre Dillard (assuming that Jonah Williams is gone) for their first round pick. 

I did

As long as the first three picks net us either 2 OTs and a coverage LB or 2 coverage LBs and an OT, I'm good.  

In rounds 4 or 5 we need to pick a second OT or coverage LB.....whichever spot we didnt get in the first three picks

Dont need an OG or a C

If we're offered a 3 to move down a few spots in round 1, sign me up.  3s tend to be solid starters, and we need several of those

Also need, in no particular order: RB, TE, CB, S, developmental QB

I would prefer a lineman and LB as two of the top 3 picks - but if they don't get a LB in 1, I want them to wait until 3.  Mack Wilson sucks out loud and I fear would be Paul Dawson version 2.0 if they take him in second.  If they go lineman in first, and LB in third, it opens up 2nd round pick for true best player available and there will be some good value there.