No Extension for Marvin

HoosierCat

Marvin is the equivalent of a premature ejaculation. He can get it up, but it's all over and done with way before it should be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, COB said:

It's sort of ironic.  Paul Alexander may finally get his chance.  And he'll get the chance to be head coach by sucking so bad at being a position coach that he basically gets his head coach fired.  Brilliant.

He has only been there for like 25 years or something, he probably expects to be the next head coach.

6 hours ago, volcom69 said:

He has only been there for like 25 years or something, he probably expects to be the next head coach.

He's built quite a resume.  He got hired by Mike and then has been a coach for a long time.  End of story.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:43 AM, volcom69 said:

Reportedly he was going to quit when they hired Marvin instead of promoting him, and that's why they gave him the assistant HC title. So yeah, do not be surprised if that happens. Which is why I always say be careful about wishing for Marvin to go, because it just might happen...

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Reportedly he was going to quit when they hired Marvin instead of promoting him, and that's why they gave him the assistant HC title. So yeah, do not be surprised if that happens. Which is why I always say be careful about wishing for Marvin to go, because it just might happen...

If they hire Alexander, I'll still be a Bengals fan.  But it will be a bitter, fatalistic sort of fandom.  I'll root for weird stuff.  I'll start writing letters to the cheerleaders, and I'll copy Katie on all of them.  I'll build a trebuchet and use it to launch a huge shovelhead catfish from a boat on the river onto the PBS field during a game.  If it lands on head coach Alexander, well that's just the risk we all take of getting brained with a giant shovelhead at any given time.  It could be happening to Morgan Fairchild right now, you just never know.  I'll send Mike several sternly worded emails.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, Doc thinks that Mike Brown is actually (semi-) serious about a coaching change if the season goes poorly. I say only "semi" because he's probably right about the definition of a poor season.

That said, I think Brown is making it clear without making it clear that another 6- or 7-win season will cause the house lights to come up.

Notice I didn’t say “a playoff win.’’ This is still Mike we’re talking about. But it’s also the first time I’ve ever felt as if there were genuine heat on the head coach. Brown’s aversion to change and affection for personal relationships with those who work for him has prohibited even a substantial discussion of a coaching change in the past. Not now.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2017/07/26/morning-line-726/104011286/

If they win 6-7 games and there's no change, fans will riot.

I would like to say I will lose my mind if Marvin sticks after another poor season, but I've become so accustomed to it that "lose my mind" equates to very little these days.

What would fans do and would anyone in the front office give a shit ?? The answers are "nothing" and "no".

Where's the 2018 draft again ???

19 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I should clarify... Not accustomed to him losing, but rather him sticking around.

Understood.  At this point Marvin is a remarkable football coach thanks to that one trait - longevity. 

Imagine a 25 year old Bengals fan.  Let's say he started paying attention around age 10.  To that whole age group of fans, Marvin kind of is the Bengals.  That's all they've known as a coach.  Players come and go, but Marvin is still there trying to figure out clock management and whether it's best to let a new player see the field in the 3rd year or the 4th year of his contract.