Bengals Sign LB Kevin Minter

Stripes

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

He's going to be the MLB ??

I wonder if they've told Rey M. yet ??

I'm not sure anyone's told Pauli G. yet.

Seriously in the same interview Minter said he'd met with Haslett and Marvin but hadn't talked to Gunther yet.

Well. Oiled. Machine.

1 year deals are more common now.   Free Agency money dries up in less than a day and a bunch of guys are left scrambling looking a contracts that aren't nearly what they thought it could be.   So they take the 1 year for a chance to hit the market next year.   Minter admitted he gambled on himself passing on the multi year deal from the Bengals. 

Players are basically trying to get off the market now before the draft because after the draft demand drops more and then you are in the cycle waiting for circumstances in mini-camps, training camps, and preseason which see money get even tighter.

Worked out for LaFell this past year.  

Contract details:

1 year, $4.25 million total:

• $800k salary
  • $2.1 million SB
  • $1.1 million workout bonus
  • $250k in per-game roster bonuses

$3.15 million deal for comp pick purposes since workout bonuses don't count in the comp pick formula.

Just reading some tea leaves in the morning.     Last season in LB crew.   They had 8 guys record snaps on defense or special teams.

5 remain (Rey, Roach, Dansby gone).    Add in Minter.

However:

Dawson played 0 defensive snaps all his work (very little) came late season special teams

Flowers played 2 defensive snaps, Flower played nearly 70% special teams snaps.

Vigil expanded role late 110 defensive snaps and nearly 70% special teams snaps.

Burfict by virtue of suspension and injury allowed an opening for snap by another LB early on it was Dansby and later it was Vigil.   With a normal year Burfict will probably get back to 75% snaps. 

Vincent Rey is going to play his 55%-65%.

Minter would not have signed a one year deal if he wasn't confident he'd see snaps.  I'm assuming he get all of the Rey M. Snaps and some Dansby work.

Vigil they like and I think his role will expand. 

Reading the tea leaves there isn't a spot for a rookie LB to come in and make an impact of defense in 2017 without really going against the grain of typical Bengal wisdom.  That player would be sitting be vets which as we know is unlikely under Marvin Lewis. 

Numbers wise you probably got room for 1 drafted guy to make the active roster.  I can't remember what late season hoops they jumped through to get Dawson on the active roster off the practice squad.    If they draft 2 they you a looking at bumping teams help like Flowers to make active roster. 

A high pick LB would be the typical looking down the road at contracts type pick and I would guess without injuries wouldn't make a large impact this season.    Mid round picks will be battling first Dawson for a roster spot and then Flowers for special teams role.  

The X factor will be Vigil.  A lot of good things said about him so It will be interesting to see how his role develops.  

Yup, they will now draft Foster because that bench won't warm itself. Then next year Minter will leave and Foster will blow out a body part in camp and go on IR, so it'll be year 3 before we see him on the field and year 4 before he's at full strength...just in time for free agency!

• Like 2