Life in the Bengals Bubble

HoosierCat

This piece is just...I mean, I can't even...argh, read for yourself.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-doesnt-mind-17-urgency/3054bdc8-d4c8-4286-9e4c-b301e614839c

Marvin, and probably the whole organization, really live in their own alternate universe, don't they? A universe where Lewis is a great head coach because he's been a head coach for a long time, not because he won anything. A universe where the oline "is not a concern," Jeremy Hill's problem is "coaching" and Keith Rivers was a great pick at 9.

• Like 1

They definitely have their own view on the situation. They believe they are on the right path, making solid moves and decisions despite the results of the past where the best they've achieved is losing in the playoffs every time they got there. Big games, times to step up and move to the next level consistently fall flat. The players change. What remains the same is Mike and Marvin, the Thompson Twins of mediocrity.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

More bubble fodder. Most interesting is that it implies Ced could start at LT if Whit leaves...

Ha ha!  Of course he's going to start at tackle.  If you go to the Bengals' website, check out their depth chart.  They've got Ced listed as starting at tackle, and Whit starting at guard.  Translation: goodbye Whit.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I thought you were kidding, but no...

http://www.bengals.com/team/depth-chart.html

It's got to be some bit of goofiness...but then I remember Boling (who is nowhere to be found) had injury issues he played with all last year...

So are they going to IR Boling??? I know they aren't going to cut him...maybe move him to RG?  

1 minute ago, GapControl said:

So are they going to IR Boling??? I know they aren't going to cut him...maybe move him to RG?  

I looked at the depth chart and KZ is on it even though he isn't under contract.  So the chart is useless right now.

My take aways:

1. This time of year is roster building.  Bengals deserve credit.  Their biggest issue (IMO) that can be criticized is keeping the guy that constantly squanders the talent your organization provides.

2. Jeremy Hill is absolutely a coaching fault, IMO.  He is not as good as Gio or Rex with the front side/back side zone blocking run reads they run ALL the time.   So either quit doing it or get rid of him.  Hill is much better when the let the line get down a drive block and him hitting a hole.   All this blocking out 2 point stances/zone blocking and shading a defender one way and forcing the back to read the block, he sucks at it.

3. O-line is a concern.  That's Marvin being a dick as usual because for some reason he gets off at putting people in their place when they are right about something.  Why hell do you keep a guy that squanders talent and then comes off as a jerk to the public and you aren't coming close to selling out?  Dumb.

4. Keith Rivers was blah but it goes back to not all draft classes are the same.  Just a lot of blah from that draft class in general.  Mayo right after Rivers was the big miss. Edit: not a huge miss.  Mayo was alright but wasn't great.  Often elevated because of the team he played for, IMO.    

• Like 1