Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I don't see how another TE will help this team

they r no longer in the best player available state

we need DL OL LB CB RB before thinking about best player BS

They can certainly use Howard. I'd prefer on of the upper tier DEs but if they go, and Howard is there, they should snag him. There's something about how two TE route combinations create epic mismatch problems. It would open up things for AJ, and the run game. 

To my mind, it's a no-brainer. 

Someone commented earlier (in response - I think - to my statement that it just has to be a pass rushing DE at 9) that it didnt make sense when Dunlap and MJ would get all the snaps and so the draftee would make no impact in 2017.

Au contraire, mon frer - we were most successful as DLine (and a defense, overall) when we rotated rushers. Gimme a fresh talent at DE to rotate with MJ, particularly on 3rd down, and our defense will be much, much better overall.

So gimme that pass rushing phenom DE at r1 pick 9 and a polished OL (any of the 5 spots) in R2.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:00 PM, kingwilly said:

He can block just fine. Certainly better than Uzomah or Kroft. TEs at Bama have to block and he was decent. 

Here he is against Miles Garrett and Texas A&M. To me, he seems to do quite well overall. 

On 3/18/2017 at 9:15 PM, ArmyBengal said:

If anyone was thinking about a WR at #9, like I have, then you will love Howard. I agree that he would open things up but struggle with taking him that high.

if they did, they better run two TE sets all the time !!

Howard (or Mike Williams or Corey Davis) would not surprise me at all. Bengals have never seen a receiver (or more recently, receiving TE) they didn't like.

Other factor in a possible Howard pick: Eifert. One, how much faith do you have in him being available all season? (Me: little) Two, are you willing to pay top-tier money to a guy who has missed basically half his career due to injuries? (Me: undecided but leaning no) If there's any chance at all that they aren't going to re-sign Tyler, TE becomes a significant need.

I'm a big fan of taking an offensive skill player at 9.  Fournette is still my wish.     The impending free agency of Eifert is a tough issue because he can't stay healthy and if he does stay healthy he's going to demand top dollar.

If they get a healthy season out of Eifert his market value under this current cap limit probably goes 11-13 mil.  

You can take Howard to address the impending vacancy directly but you don't have to.   There's 1 ball.     For instances,  if you get a running back that is good enough to command the ball 15-20 times a game.

Boyd is going to be a major player for us in the underneath slot world of the NFL.   He probably could command 10 targets too.   Then AJ Green.   Then Gio.

So if you take WR at 9 that player will hopefully be good enough to warrant target going into their 2nd season.  

I think Uzomah has shown enough as a receiving TE that I dont want to draft another one early.

Army: there are degrees of polish. What am saying here is we need an OL who has a chance to come in and start at one of the OL positions (any of them) in r2. This instead of a guy with maybe a higher ceiling but will take a year or three to get ready.

If you go through the numbers they can go anywhere and find a need.   I think they will ride and die with the tackle plan set forth in 2015.  Winston and Smitty will be the insurance plan.    There's a slot open in o-line for interior, my hope would Toft from Kentucky.     

TE and RB are supposed to be loaded in this draft and I think they will use a pick in both position groups.     

WR has a slot open.

LB can be added and a slot open by cutting Rey M.   Dawson will have to turn it around to stay on the roster.  

WR

Green, Boyd, Lafell, Core and Erickson.  I don't see much need there unless someone falls and creates a great value.

OL, DL, LB, RB and CB have to be the positions that get the most play this draft.  We need an OT, OG and a C.  I would be happy if 2 or 3 of the first 3 picks stayed on the O-line.

There has been an increase in o-line busts from the draft.    As typical for NFL coverage the knee jerk reaction is to identify a cause which has been mostly blamed on spread college offense and lack of hitting in NFL practices.   Maybe that's the case and maybe it isn't.

Maybe it's just a bad run of college prospects?   Who knows? 

However,  if you could erase your memory of Oooogie and Fisher in the NFL.   Put them in underwear and have them do skillz and drillz and focus on their college film they would probably be the best tackles in the draft this year.

I don't think there's playing time available on the line as shocking as that may seem.   I would love for this theory to get tested by seeing Cam Robinson or another first round tackle fall to pick #41.

Ooogie is going to get first run at LT post the Whit era.   Bad move, IMO but still going to happen.    If that fails then it's reshuffle drill pushing Fisher (?) to LT.   Andre to RT.  Winston to RG (?).  

Bengals have painted themselves thin, IMO with very little wiggle room.    But if you look at it Roster wise they got 1 spot for an interior guy.   Anymore picks at that spot and you are forced to cut someone.

Bodine? - Probably not.  They liked him after 2015.  They aren't benching him after his best season in 2016.  He's still blah but I wouldn't rule out a contract extension soon.  They like him for whatever reasons.

Boling - Nope

Andre/Winston - Safe as can be because of the number of starts and the lack of starts by.... (Insurance plan)

Ooogie/Fisher -  Young and unproven and a bunch of questions but still will occupy roster spots and get every chance to occupy starting roles.

Westerman - The infamous steal of the draft and potential going into year 2, nope.

TJ Johnson - Just signed 2 year deal.

That's 8.   I think they keep 9.

I'm pretty sure that's Shelley Meyer, Urban Meyer's wife.  If you live in central Ohio you get so saturated with coverage of Ohio State Football that you can recognize the coach's family members from every angle.  I'm sure that's her.