Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

IFor example, it should would be nice to have La'el Collins right about now and he could have been had in the 7th freakin' round.

Oh my gosh, I've thought about this so many times but never mentioned it here.  

Dude was just sitting there in the 7th.  We could have snagged him, signed him, then just waited.  Almost no risk.

I think the league made it clear what they thought, so most teams stayed away.  I think Jerra finally pulled the trigger, so that would be him.  Mike would have been a candidate as well to take him, not sure why he didn't do it.  

All the domestic violence, drug cases, Saturday night situations, drunk driving, etc., I think Mike is tolerant.  Collins' situation involved straight up murder, and I think Mike was likely just spooked.  I think it turned out that what Collins said all along, that he had nothing to do with it, turned out to be true.  Ultimately it enriched the Cowboys and screwed Collins out of millions.  

AGAIN, I do not condone what Mixon did.  However, I am a fan of making the attempt of getting value for a draft pick.
There will be many teams not willing to overlook what happened with this kid over 2 years ago.
In the time since then ??  A parking ticket.  He's already paid a hefty price and I think is deserving of at least an opportunity to improve.
Does or should that opportunity come in the 1st or 2nd round ??  I think not.  The 3rd ??  Maybe.  4th or later ??  I have little problem at that point.

8 minutes ago, COB said:

Oh my gosh, I've thought about this so many times but never mentioned it here.  

Dude was just sitting there in the 7th.  We could have snagged him, signed him, then just waited.  Almost no risk.

I think the league made it clear what they thought, so most teams stayed away.  I think Jerra finally pulled the trigger, so that would be him.  Mike would have been a candidate as well to take him, not sure why he didn't do it.  

All the domestic violence, drug cases, Saturday night situations, drunk driving, etc., I think Mike is tolerant.  Collins' situation involved straight up murder, and I think Mike was likely just spooked.  I think it turned out that what Collins said all along, that he had nothing to do with it, turned out to be true.  Ultimately it enriched the Cowboys and screwed Collins out of millions.  

With our current concerns with both the RG and OT spots, his addition sure would be helping out right now.
Almost everyone had him taken long before the Bengals 1st round pick that year.
Taking a shot in the 7th round ??  Nope...

UGH !!!

Collins has had his own injuries to do deal with, but here's the thing that always amazes me.
There's nothing to say any player would have had the same injuries had they gone to another team, unless it's a recurring medical issue.
Collins was a top end 1st round talent with absolutely ZERO thought.  We aren't talking about the supposed talent of a 6th round guy here.
I'd take Collins over most of what we currently sport on the roster at this point.

He's probably gone by their 3rd round pick.    Hopefully they can Corey Dillon the league again at 41.  Dillon was taken at 43.    Dropped, I think because he sold drugs as a kid and had some off the field stuff at Washington.    

If he wasn't playing for the crappy 90 Bengals he'd be a HOFer. 

I'm still on board for Fournette early.

• Like 1

Since none of the offensive linemen are a good fit at 9, what do you guys think of OJ Howard being the pick? 

Things were rough while Eifert was down. Howard is just as big a mismatch. Would be tough to defend when both on the field. He also a tough blocker. 

I could see this happening. 

3 hours ago, kingwilly said:

Since none of the offensive linemen are a good fit at 9, what do you guys think of OJ Howard being the pick? 

Things were rough while Eifert was down. Howard is just as big a mismatch. Would be tough to defend when both on the field. He also a tough blocker. 

I could see this happening. 

Mike's love of tight ends is well known.  Though I seem to recall Hobson making a prediction for the first round of lineman or corner, something like that.  He may not be in the know, though.  Tight end is a priority for the Bengals so I can see it.

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

OJ Howard might be too tough to pass up.   They showed OJs 40 against Jordan Reed and he blows by him like Jordan was standing still.

Very productive player too.

I hope he doesn't own a white ford bronco

It does make sense. Watched about a dozen videos of Howard playing. He's formidable. I just have a feeling. 

In regards to Mixon, I watched his interview during his pro day. While the talent is there, something irritated me about his attitude when answering tough questions.

Almost like it's no big deal so why do you keep asking me about this ??

I could be wrong but color me skeptical.

Howard is pretty intriguing as well and with LaFell coming back they will probably push WR until later on.
That being said, I would argue that #9 is a bit high for him, but would love it in a trade down scenario.
Question is if there is a willing trade partner, which is never a guarantee.

I believe Eifert is also a free agent next year as well, so there's that potential scenario to cover.
However, a year of two TE sets with those two could be fun to watch.

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

still needs to be a pass rushing DE. Period. OL in r2.

I think the top guys (Garrett, Thomas, Barnett) will be gone by 11. I hope they don't reach and take Taco there, if Howard or one of the WRs are sitting there. 

There are many DEs to be had a bit later ( Hall, Willis, Kpassagnon). Oline in r2 is smart, one of the good guys (r1 grade) will fall, like Lamp or Moton. 

R1 and r2 must be impact players, given the abject manner in which they let talent leak out off the team. 

57 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

I think the top guys (Garrett, Thomas, Barnett) will be gone by 11. I hope they don't reach and take Taco there, if Howard or one of the WRs are sitting there. 

There are many DEs to be had a bit later ( Hall, Willis, Kpassagnon). Oline in r2 is smart, one of the good guys (r1 grade) will fall, like Lamp or Moton. 

R1 and r2 must be impact players, given the abject manner in which they let talent leak out off the team. 

I wouldn't call the loss of talented/quality players recently lost a leak. It's more in the terms of saying the Titantic bumped an iceberg. We scuttled our ship.

• Like 1

While I think they need to address the DE spot, I'm not sure they need to do it early.
Whoever they draft won't start over MJ and Dunlap, so why not wait until the later rounds?

I'm still pretty high on Foster because they absolutely HAVE to address the LB corps and the talent drops off pretty large from there.
I don't care about the Combine thing in the least.  Sabin stated it best in saying he never had a single incident in the 4 years at Alabama.
Another plus about him is that not only was he the defensive captain, he called the plays.
Productive, leader, played top level competition ??  Yes please.

I know some of you guys are still big on a RB early, but I'm still not there when considering some of the other backs in the draft.
I would be more excited seeing them go after Howard early than a RB and I'm not sold on that either at the #9 spot.

I was thinking WR, but I like the depth of this draft class and think they could hit that as late as the 4th round.
Give me Noah Brown from Ohio State in the 4th and I'm happy there.

The draft is the only thing about this team that I'm still intrigued about.
If they pick some solid players that I feel add excitement, I might actually watch more than one game this coming season.

• Like 1