HOF 20??

HoosierCat

11 minutes ago, COB said:

No need for this, Chad already inducted himself on the sideline.  

Absolutely.    At that very moment OchoCinco made Canton HOF obsolete.    The only HOF that matters is the Ocho.      Besides that other HOF up in Canton only jerks off huge fan bases and over values moderately successful players that were able to hitch themselves to GREAT players on GREAT teams.

You haven't done shit until the Ocho inducts you.       Which gives me an idea.    IF Mike Brown can ever get the wallet out and actually honor some past Bengals.   It would be hilarious IF he would have Ocho do it with his homemade HOF jackets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

When would Willie Anderson be eligible?   If he's not among the nominees and players at the level Chad Johnson are, that's a major oversight.

This is true. I honestly don't think Chad had the career to make it. Anderson did but likely won't make it due to being on mostly terrible teams. That Kenny Anderson isn't in, or Ken Riley, those are the real oversights. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, StripesInSuffolk said:

Willie won't get in because of Pro Bowls.  It's stupid, but it's real.  Chad won't get in because he wasn't good enough.

Eh, I dunno. If you click through and look at the list it's not exactly full of "wow" guys at WR. Here's some numbers (seasons/yards/TDs):

Isaac Bruce (16/15,208/91)

Henry Ellard (16/13,777/65)

Torry Holt (12/13,382/74)

Chad Johnson (12/11,059/67)

Derrick Mason (15/12,061/56)

Terrell Owens (16/15,934/153)

Sterling Sharpe (7/8,134/65)

Jimmy Smith (13/12,287/67)

Rod Smith (13/11,389/68)

Wines Hard (14/12,083/85)

Chad's numbers are as good as anyone else's on that list. I would say the two locks are Ward (because Steelers) and Sharpe (because media). Maybe Bruce. I think Chad will have the same problem as Owens, they're just divisive figures. Chad also suffers from the usual Bengals "he didn't win a ring" issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Eh, I dunno. If you click through and look at the list it's not exactly full of "wow" guys at WR. Here's some numbers (seasons/yards/TDs):

Isaac Bruce (16/15,208/91)

Henry Ellard (16/13,777/65)

Torry Holt (12/13,382/74)

Chad Johnson (12/11,059/67)

Derrick Mason (15/12,061/56)

Terrell Owens (16/15,934/153)

Sterling Sharpe (7/8,134/65)

Jimmy Smith (13/12,287/67)

Rod Smith (13/11,389/68)

Wines Hard (14/12,083/85)

Chad's numbers are as good as anyone else's on that list. I would say the two locks are Ward (because Steelers) and Sharpe (because media). Maybe Bruce. I think Chad will have the same problem as Owens, they're just divisive figures. Chad also suffers from the usual Bengals "he didn't win a ring" issue.

Owens is the superior candidate on this list. His impact in his first 6 years was astounding, and he was quite durable, despite his attitude baggage. At times he was unstoppable. The only thing that could stop him, was him.

I'd say Chad was maybe 4th or 5th on this list. I don't think he has any real shot at all, and I really liked Chad quite a bit, he was about as talented as anyone on the list. 

I hate to go back to it but Bettis got in and Corey Dillon doesn't even get nominated.  Sorry, Bettis did not have as many game changing performances as Corey... He gets there because he was a giant fat man who got lucky winning a SB with the black and piss.

Heinz Ward gets there with the black and piss and I guess that's acceptable but... Seriously... Ocho was more talented.  

Ocho may get in because he lead the AFC four years in a row.  I think only Rice had done that... Maybe Owens too for the NFC.  Anyone else know?

Willie will never get in because he played for the Bengals during the Lost Decade.  That period (unfairly) also has killed both Kenny's chances as well.  Only hope is that the Bengals make a run at the SB atleast a couple years soon so that the "Media" will have a chance to hype our old players up.  That's why we all know about the Rams players because of their runs to championships.  If Torey Holt goes, then Chad should go.

By the way, Dillon was a key part of the Pats SB championship.  I've posted his career stats before on the board; he is more deserving than Bettis.  It's as clear as day if the nation wasn't constantly brainwashed by black and piss hype.

Bettis wasn't a HOF RB, IMO.    He hung around in a reserve role to get his ring and ultimately padded his career total.      Dillon was a key part of his championship ring getting 1,600.    Dillon didn't hang around to pad his career total.

Dillon also was on some horrible, horrible offensive supporting cast teams and defensive teams.    I don't think it's an understatement to say IF he had a competent team that was competitive he could have had 200/300 more yards per season in his prime.     There were so many games in which he wasn't a factor after the 3rd quarter because they rarely had the lead. 

I could only imagine if Dillon had the "run out the clock" opportunities that Eddie George and Bettis got.    Plus not facing defenses with Akili Smith as your QB.   

Dillon's stats are amazing when you consider how teams stacked 8 in the box to stop him, no fear of our wretched QBs, and he still regularly ground out big games. That's far more impressive than Bettis but is also a hit on Dillon as those teams were bad. Until he got to NE, his abilities were sadly overlooked.

All that considered, he's still a marginal HoF player.

• 2 weeks later...

Compare the attention the 2005 era Bengals got vs. today's Bengals.     Today's Bengals are better but hardly celebrated like the 2005 Bengals.   In addition 2005 era Bengals had a lot of bad actors on the team that caused embarrassment to the city via arrests.

Back in the 2005 there was a waiting list for season tickets.   Appeared on multiple national mag covers.   Burger King bobbleheads.  All sorts of stuff.   It seemed everyone locally wanted a piece of the Bengals back then.  A lot more radio and TV appearances etc.

A lot of that had to do with the attention whore Chad Johnson.    It was fun.   But when the team underperformed he took the brunt of the criticism.  

Yup, there was a time when Chad was fun. Really, there were a few years there -- roughly 2004-07 -- when the whole team was fun. Palmer slinging it all over the field, Ocho Cinco goofing on TD celebrations, Dillon's ceaseless whining replaced by Rudi's solid running, heck I think Big Willie even got a set of locker room towels big enough to cover his butt. And my gawd how nice was it to finally have a team that wasn't a laughingstock? IMO that more than anything was probably the biggest driver of all the attention those teams got. A Bengals team that didn't suck? That was a novelty for fans and media alike.

When Chad Johnson was playing the game for the Bengals it sure was fun to watch the team.
He was an amazing WR and either led the conference or league in receiving yards for many years.

Then that ass clown Ocho Cinco showed up and ruined everything.  F*ck that guy !!!

I will DVR the show on Friday though.  It should at least be mildly interesting for fans of the team.

Eh, maybe I'm just getting mellow in my dotage, but I find myself increasingly inclined to give Chad a pass. Yeah, he was a clown, yeah, he tanked it in 2008, but in the 20/20 glare of hindsight, that team was doomed long before anyone suspected it. Kimo Von Kneecapper landed a fatal blow when he ripped Carson's leg off and the Clowns, of all teams, dealt the coup de grace early next season when they broke Buckethead's leg. Everything from then on to drafting Dalton was just Dead Team Walking.

• Like 1

I've had the opposite experience.  As time has gone by, I've found  myself blaming Chad more and more.  I used to like him.  His lack of professionalism didn't bother me back when he was playing.  Now I look back and can't believe Marvin let him get away with it.  Agree the team had other issues, and injuries, but Chad sucked the air and the energy out of every situation he shoved his way into.  

• Like 1

I hear you. I'm just not so sure any more how much of it was Chad shoving himself into things, and how much it was him getting played by guys like Palmer and Houshmanzadeh.

Re Marvin putting up with him, I'm not sure he had much choice. Mikey had handed Chad big money and in Cincy if you get paid you play, even if you suck.

• Like 1

Ok, my stance prior to watching Chad's "Football Life" was that I loved him as Chad and hated him as OchoCinco.
Now that I sat and watched it through, I believe my thought process was right on.

When he was Chad, he was larger than life and backed it up constantly on the field.
I had forgotten just how quick his feet were and the type of separation he was able to create.  It really was amazing.

The show had interviews with Marvin, Belicheat, Ray Lewis, TO, Hue, Bratkowski, Carson, and more.
I found the episode to be pretty entertaining to be honest, but it ended with me feeling like his time here was an opportunity missed.

His personality, while entertaining, was EXTREMELY polarizing and I think it just got to be too much for everyone.  Chad included...
What I won't forget about Chad, outside of his amazing athleticism, is that he did make it fun to watch the Bengals again.
Everyone likes to heap that praise on Marvin, which is partially justified, but Chad was massive in that category.

Something I wasn't aware of ??
Chad always tried to speak Spanish, but sucked at it and Carson was the one who came up with the OchoCinco nameplate idea.
That's pretty fitting and amusing when thinking how OchoCinco doesn't translate to 85.

I recommend any fan (either loving or hating him) watch the episode.
If you missed it, there is a replay on Wednesday (10/05) at 9pm on NFL Network.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Ok, my stance prior to watching Chad's "Football Life" was that I loved him as Chad and hated him as OchoCinco.
Now that I sat and watched it through, I believe my thought process was right on.

When he was Chad, he was larger than life and backed it up constantly on the field.
I had forgotten just how quick his feet were and the type of separation he was able to create.  It really was amazing.

The show had interviews with Marvin, Belicheat, Ray Lewis, TO, Hue, Bratkowski, Carson, and more.
I found the episode to be pretty entertaining to be honest, but it ended with me feeling like his time here was an opportunity missed.

His personality, while entertaining, was EXTREMELY polarizing and I think it just got to be too much for everyone.  Chad included...
What I won't forget about Chad, outside of his amazing athleticism, is that he did make it fun to watch the Bengals again.
Everyone likes to heap that praise on Marvin, which is partially justified, but Chad was massive in that category.

Chad always tried to speak Spanish, but sucked at it and Carson was the one who came up with the OchoCinco nameplate idea.
That's pretty fitting and amusing when thinking how OchoCinco doesn't translate to 85.

thank for the recommened but I will still miss it no matter what as i dont have nfl network.

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I always thought Carson was sick of Chad and was one of the reasons he left? 

That year in 2005 was so fun, if they only had a good defense, and Carson didn't get his leg knocked out from under him.

Imagine the defense we had for a couple seasons with that 2005 offense, it would be amazing