3rd Round: Nick Vigil, LB, Utah State

HoosierCat

12 hours ago, COB said:

You all need to quit complaining about our Hunter Hillenmeyer clone.  Someone also needs to do some research and explain to the rest of us who Hunter Hillenmeyer is.

Coincidentally, my wife grew up with the Hillenmeyers in Nashville. Hunter spent his career with the Bears, but I think he's retired now.

3 hours ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Didn't the Bengals just cut Hawk?

I thought Dansby was Hawk's replacement.  Just not excited about Vigil - Caleb Miller part deux.  ST's cover guy and nickel LB potential at-best.  He can't handle NFL lineman, will get dominated at the LOS, and at almost 240 now, not a lot of potential there to keep quickness and develop strength/size.  A reach pick for talent you should be able to get in the 5th round. I don't really get why they're infatuated with him - his tape is bad.

I guess they see something in him though, so we'll see I guess.

A poor pick in an otherwise pretty solid draft.

Caleb Miller was a joke- the joke was - too damn small for the NFL. I doubt very seriously he ever really got to 230.... I don't care what the game day program listed him as.  He looked like a scatback trying to pretend to be a linebacker.  Never understood why the guy didn't get cut sooner.  He must have lied and not taken his HGH like he was supposed to because he was paper thin.

Hard to say about this pick.

I always thought LB should be high on the pecking order heading into this draft, but thought it might get pushed based on the coaches love of those already on the roster.
I will also admit to not really knowing much about this kid and maybe that plays into it "feeling" like a reach.

When playing the hindsight game, I see only two players between this pick and their pick in the 4th that intrigued me (Hargrave and Killebrew) but have no idea where the Bengals had them on their draft board.  When considering how much I thought they needed to address the LB depth, I can't really complain that much.

The post draft insider story coming from Dan and Dave is that the Bengals had a second round grade on this young man.    As a matter of fact they claim the Bengals wanted a 1st round receiver and when that fell apart were more than happy to take Willie Jack who they had a middle of the first round grade on.    Which at least sounds consistent from what Guenther hinted at when he came to speak to the draft party after the pick.    Then supposedly the next 4 picks the Bengals graded as 2nd round.

In addition,  Vigil was on the phone with Green Bay when the Bengals selected him.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

I could be remembering  things wrong but Miller had some weird diet he picked up after making the NFL and he put that in front of his NFL development.

At one time there was a rumor that he was a complete mistake, that they'd got him mixed up with some other LB they wanted and drafted him by accident. I doubt very much that it's true, but could never quite dismiss it from mind.

I think you're right about the diet, it rings a vague bell...

There seems to be a lot of "post draft" love for the Vigil pick and even a guy in Goodberry's twitter conversation that apparently works / writes for NFL.com, CBSsports, etc. that stated he had Vigil as a late 1st rounder.  I can't say how much stock I truly put into many people suddenly thinking this guy is going to be something special, but I like the talk.

Debating the merits of Vigil is 1,000 times better than what's transpiring in Steelernation.   Massive rationalization about their draft including their first rounder.   To the point they are now buying in how they tricked the Bengals because Burns was their top-choice all along, lol.

On Vigil there is a lot of talk about 3 down player or starter level player.   That stuff will play out. 

I'll just lay this out there:  IF Vigil, Willie Jack, and Billings contribute to this defense this season.  That unit is hitting another level of performance.  

I have no concerns debating Vigil and have great hopes for him.  I don't think that's hard when considering what we've had here in the past.

In reference the Steelers, sure, they wanted Burns all along.  Them Steelers fans are so stinking smart !!!

I'm not of the ones thinking the Bengals are going to have a down year in 2016.  Just the opposite actually.
I know there are some new faces and there may be areas that see a letdown (see Nelson leaving), but overall I think we are talking about another 11+ win season.

If Vigil plays a part in that, I will simply smile and say thank you to the Bengals scouts !!!