Ravens @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

From a playoff perspective, this game could still impact a first round bye.

I'm not real confident in the Chargers going into Denver and getting the win, but stranger things have happened.
A loss from the Bengals won't impact the #3 seed, so they are still going to host a wild card game.

They are looking at the Jets coming to Cincinnati at this point and then a trip back to Denver for the divisional round if they get the win.

So what a great season now ending in us having to hope for many things to happen. 

I went from being so excited during the season, to now have lost my excitement.   

I guess it's up to the defense to do everything now, and not sure if they can. They are playing great but they can only do so much. 

This sucks!

1 hour ago, COB said:

We need a special coach.  His sole job will be to train our qbs how to not injure themselves while committing stupid turnovers.

No freakin' doubt. I understand it's his non-throwing hand (or rather, wrist) so at least there's that.

Ok, now that we hear it was non throwing hand, some degree of hope is restored.

Tough second half to watch last night.  We just needed to capitalize on any break.  One turnover but we couldn't turn it into anything.  

At least we were in that game until the end.  Let's not forget the plethora of Thursday, Sunday,  and Monday night games in which we are out of the game in the second quarter.  

• Like 1

So, should they rest guys against Baltimore or not?

Bengals still have an outside shot at the bye, even with a loss. Of course, everything hinges on a Denver loss to SD, which is a longshot.

If it were my call I think I rest anyone with significant issues.So Green, Iloka, Pacman and maybe McCarron depending on what's up with the wrist all sit. I probably also sit Burfict, Whit, Geno and Dunlap. Assuming he gets out of concussion jail, no real reason to rush Eifert back, either. Maybe give him a couple series or so knock off the rust.

Honestly, given the state of the Ravens, the Bengals could still win even with all those guys shelved or on light duty.

So, just in case it should be needed, let's meet Keith Wenning!

The Ohio prep had a 49-4 record as a starter and lettered in basketball and baseball. Saw action in all 12 games as a true freshman in 2010, starting the final 10, and completed 128 of 235 passes (54.5 percent) for 1,373 yards with 14 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. Made all 12 starts in 2011, going 287-of-449 (63.9 percent) for 2,786 yards with 19 TDs and 11 INTs. In 2012, started 12 games and went 301-of-460 for 3,095 yards with 24 TDs and 10 INTs. Caught a 12-yard touchdown pass against Indiana. Missed the regular-season finale against Miami (OH) with a fractured right ankle but returned to start the Beef 'O' Brady Bowl. In 2013, became the first Ball State QB to throw for more than 4,000 yards in a season in after going 319-of-498 (64.1 percent) for 4,148 yards with 35 TDs and seven INTs in 13 starts. Set school career records for completions (1,035), attempts (1,642), passing yards (11,402) and touchdowns (92). Had 13 career rushing touchdowns and a 27-20 mark in 47 starts. Two-time team captain.

STRENGTHS

Experienced, four-year starter with a solid build. Very smart and understands the offense. Outstanding football character and personal character -- works at his craft, is driven to succeed and will represent a franchise well. Respected leader -- two-time team captain. Football is very improtant to him. Very tough and highly competitive. Has directed 10 fourth-quarter comebacks in his career. Consistent in his approach.

WEAKNESSES

Average arm strength, athletic ability and pocket mobility to avoid the first wave and make throws off-balance and under duress. Carries a heavyness in his body and lacks twitch. Works almost exclusively out of the gun and will need to adapt to working from under center. Cannot easily manipulate his arm and throwing platform. Does not drive the deep out and accuracy and placement diminishes downfield. Production is inflated from regularly facing inferior MAC competition.

BOTTOM LINE

Heavy-bodied, dink-and-dunk, rhythm passer who could be challenged to fit the ball into tight NFL windows. Has the makeup desired in a No. 3 QB and could develop into a functional backup in a West Coast passing game.

From the comments on that page:

I've followed Wenning since he's played for Coldwater, OH in the MAC. He compares favorably to Bob Hoying, OSU QB in the 90's, who played down the road at St. Henry, in terms of his passing, though he lacks Hoyings size and athleticism. I do not see him as the next Tom Brady but who knows? The leap from college to the NFL has as much to do with desire as talent. Wennings strength is that he is an accurate passer, with a very quick release and excellent throwing mechanics. His weakness is his lack of athleticism. He's a big strong cornfed farmboy from John Deer country and and is about as fast and agile as John Deer tractor.

9 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

They've made their choice, and the choice was Wenning. None of this means a hill of beans because it is what it is.

If Lewis is going to rest players, depending on the 'wrist' diagnosis on McCarron, I see no point in taking chances with AJ next week and being forced to play Henning in the playoff game, with 0 snaps, simply because AJ gets seriously hurt in, what most likely will be a meaningless game.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

So, should they rest guys against Baltimore or not?

Rest them for what?  Our big playoff run?  Forget it, go out and win the Baltimore game.  

Win and post a 12-4 record, an AFC North Championship, sweep both Cleveland and Baltimore, and host a playoff game.  All in all, that's a pretty good season.  

We aren't doing jack shit in the playoffs.  We're basically a .500 team right now, 3-4 in our last 7 games.  I want to beat Baltimore, that's a real, tangible goal.  They'll be playing balls out, so we better be ready.  Worry about the playoff game when it gets here.  

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Coldwater is good just about every year in high school football.  I'm amused by that commenter who states Wenning is from John Deere Tractor country, and is as agile and fast as said John Deere Tractor.  That was an interesting write up, I didn't know anything about this kid.  When you think about where Coldwater is, up in northwest Ohio, then picture Ball State, up in northeast Indiana, he could have just driven his aforementioned John Deere to his university.