4th Round: Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina

HoosierCat

Sound like Hue's patience with Bodine's continued bad snaps is wearing thin.

http://espn.go.com/b...son-snap-issues

Maybe in addition to yelling at Andy, Hue might just have the gumption to yell at the sacred assistant head coach, too.

All these bad snaps how was he a center in college, makes no sense. I worry about this guy.

They'll get it worked out.

This is the point where everything is hyper-analyzed because we're so desperate for football that we'll read insane amounts of writing over...practice.

This is true. That said it's...refreshing to hear even one coach criticize one of the Golden Children. And Bodine is clearly one, having been gifted the starting spot by virtue of...well, nada yet.

If someone had had the nads to call out Alexander during the Ghaicuic fiasco and say, look ahole, he frigging sucks, the Palmer era may have gone a bit differently.

Maybe in addition to yelling at Andy, Hue might just have the gumption to yell at the sacred assistant head coach, too.

All these bad snaps how was he a center in college, makes no sense. I worry about this guy.

This is the point where everything is hyper-analyzed because we're so desperate for football that we'll read insane amounts of writing over...practice.

This is true. That said it's...refreshing to hear even one coach criticize one of the Golden Children. And Bodine is clearly one, having been gifted the starting spot by virtue of...well, nada yet.

If someone had had the nads to call out Alexander during the Ghaicuic fiasco and say, look ahole, he frigging sucks, the Palmer era may have gone a bit differently.

This is what I don't get, is Marvin not the guy to call Paul out? I mean Marvin watches tape, he had to see Ghaicuic struggling, or Cook struggle, so why was nothing said or done? These are things I don't understand Marvin is the head coach, he needs to step in and say when things are not working.

This is what I don't get, is Marvin not the guy to call Paul out? I mean Marvin watches tape, he had to see Ghaicuic struggling, or Cook struggle, so why was nothing said or done? These are things I don't understand Marvin is the head coach, he needs to step in and say when things are not working.

Or uh...maybe Marvin...did...say...stuff? It's not like we have a wire on all their meetings.

Just because you identify a need doesn't mean that it can easily or quickly be fixed. This was a team with a lot of holes to be addressed.

And with both of them, I think they had periods where they played well enough to give the coaching staff hope. Just enough hope to hang on another year thinking that once they get healthy and put it together...

Or uh...maybe Marvin...did...say...stuff? It's not like we have a wire on all their meetings.

Also true. But that said, it seems to me that Lewis is pretty hands-off with his staff. The only time I can recall him really stepping in strongly was way back when he took defensive playcalling duties away from Leslie Frazier for a game (with no significantly different results is quality of play). Despite his oft-stated preference for the run, he rarely if ever appeared to challenge the pass-happy ways of either Brat or Gruden.

Hue, OTOH, obviously has more...um...let's call it personality. If that can counter Alexander's known tendency to play favorites on the o-line, to me that's a good thing.

The only time I can recall him really stepping in strongly was way back when he took defensive playcalling duties away from Leslie Frazier for a game (with no significantly different results is quality of play).

Again, we simply have no way to verify statements like this.

Unless it comes out through the media, we really have no clue how hands on (or off) Marvin is with his staff.

So yeah...you may be right. Or maybe not.

Either way, I'm excited to finally see something happen at center. Fingers crossed that Bodine earns the confidence of the fan base in the same way he seems to have earned it with the coaches.

Well, hey there, Descartes, there's no way I can verify that you aren't an evil demon and I'm not your pet brain in a vat, either. ;)/>/> All I can do is consider the evidence and my conclusion is Marvin is pretty hands-off and you're some dude from Tennessee. It's always possible I'm wrong on one or both of these counts...

Well, hey there, Descartes, there's no way I can verify that you aren't an evil demon and I'm not your pet brain in a vat, either. wink.gif/>/> All I can do is consider the evidence and my conclusion is Marvin is pretty hands-off and you're some dude from Tennessee. It's always possible I'm wrong on one or both of these counts...

Alright, we'll get philosophical here if you want. lol.gif

There's a difference between basing an opinion on evidence that I've provided v. basing an opinion on evidence that doesn't exist. A.K.A., nobody knows WTF Marvin says to his coaches in meetings and none of them seem to be tipping their hands.

For the record, I've never claimed that I'm NOT an evil demon...

My guess is for what ever reason Mike Brown loves Paul Alexander hence why he's been with the team so long...even though he only had few good years with the Oline.

Ding Ding!

Alexander develops no one unless they're a 1st or high 2nd rounder, and even inherited Willie when he first came here. How many Pro Bowl players has Alexander produced in what, 15-17 years? 3? 4 tops? It's pathetic.

But this all goes back to Brown holding onto coaches way too long, that aren't very good to begin with, or simply need a change of scenery or position.

• 3 weeks later...

I think pass blocking Bodine will be ok, but from what Joe Goodberry shows in tape he does get pushed back a lot. Run blocking is not very good, and when he is out in space he is lost. I'm just going by what Joe Goodberry says he sees on tape. Joe is not a big fan of his anyways. I can tell you starting a rookie center does have me worry going into the season, I just hope it works out.

Joe G carries agendas into his review of players. Its why I stopped following him and reading him. Colors his bitching about Dalton, Hunt and now Bodine. On the flip side, Gio and Marvin Jones can do no wrong in his eyes.

Joe G carries agendas into his review of players. Its why I stopped following him and reading him. Colors his bitching about Dalton, Hunt and now Bodine. On the flip side, Gio and Marvin Jones can do no wrong in his eyes.

It's a draftnik thing, I think. EmDiggy did the same thing with Gio. Guys like Mayock do it with Dalton. They just can't let go of their college evaluations.

I think pass blocking Bodine will be ok, but from what Joe Goodberry shows in tape he does get pushed back a lot. Run blocking is not very good, and when he is out in space he is lost. I'm just going by what Joe Goodberry says he sees on tape. Joe is not a big fan of his anyways. I can tell you starting a rookie center does have me worry going into the season, I just hope it works out.

He looked decent in the pass protections. In space, he was a mess.

I was impressed by Lamur and Iloka. Lamur blitz when Cardinals drove in early second was excellent.

Via Coley, here's some numbers from PFF for the preseason:

C Russell Bodine

Overall grade: -4.0, Run-block grade: -4.9, Pass-block grade: 1.4, Snaps: 97

RG Kevin Zeitler

Overall grade: 4.9, Run-block grade: 3.0, Pass-block grade: 1.2, Snaps: 89

LT Andrew Whitworth

Overall grade: 2.0, Run-block grade: 0.8, Pass-block grade: 1.0, Snaps: 54

Obviously, Bodine needs to step it up in the run-blocking department. But note that in pass protection, he actually graded out higher than both Zeitler and Whit.

I think they'll be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised to find nothing to read about Russell "Jeffro" Bodine after game 1

Before the game, he was one of the main topics of conversation - more specifically, how would he hold up against the Ravens vaunted front 7?

I am guessing that the fact that I can find no answers to that in anything written about the game tonight, that the lad did OK after all

(I was at soccer games all day and did not get to watch it)

Comments?

Brennen has a very solid breakdown of Bodine's play against Baltimore here:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/9/9/6123553/film-room-russell-bodine-shows-improvement-from-preseason

Warning, lots of vines so if you have a slow connection or computer this could be tricky.

tl;dr: Bodine played well overall. Still better against the pass than in run blocking but showed continued improvement over preseason. Importantly, he had no troubles calling out assignments and protections.