Waking from my slumber

walzav29

HEY GUYS! Great to be back! Please forgive me for repeating myself or things you've already read.

#1. Bengals will draft Taylor Lewan or Darqueze Dennard. Whichever is available. (I hope)

#2. Mike Brown does not LOVE Dalton. He rewarded Palmer December 29th 2005 with a huge extension (before blown out knee). Looking back at Palmers 2005 season. It was tremendous. Did the knee get him? Who knows, but 67% 32td passes was pretty great. What does this mean?

#3. I could see the scenario where Brown selects a QB #1. Blake, Manziel, or Bridgewater will slide to 24. If he takes one. I believe it will be the end of the Mike/Marv era. 4th round or later they take a QB? Business as usual. Personally I'd like to draft.

#1. CB/OL

#2. CB/OL

#3. RB

#4. QB

By the way. Waiting for the May draft SUCKS. It's all about May sweeps.

Nice to see you back around these parts.

#1. If Lewan or Dennard were there at #24, I don't think it would take much to figure that out, but don't see it happening.

#2. MB might not love Dalton, but talks of trying to get a deal done before the season would indicate he at least "likes" him.

#3. I can't see hardly any scenario where we take a QB at #24.

Then again, I could be wrong. Lewan could fall, Dalton could not get the extension, and Bridgewater could be the pick.

I would have to chalk that up to a minor miracle though.

#1 It'll be Shazier. Marvin never saw a LB he didn't want to marry draft.

#2 It means that Mikey is gun-shy. It seem like the minute anyone gets paid in Cincy they get hurt. Geno is just the latest example.

#3 They won't take a QB in the first no matter who is there.

Draft order:

1: punter

2: long snapper

3: traded to Dallas for two oil wells and six-pack of beer

4: wide receiver

I agree that if they take a qb round 1, that would indicate the Marv/Mike relationship is broken. Nothing I've read indicates this is the case. They seem to be getting along fine.

If they are trying to pull some Spy vs Spy stuff and get another team to talk to them if one of the QBs falls to 24, that makes sense. Also, try to push Andy into signing something, using the threat of drafting someone at 24 to hand his job to. I can't believe Andy or his agent would fall for that. And welcome back!

It's going to be difficult to re-sign Andy. I know the majority of fans hate him, but the fact is. He has an impressive regular season resume. Obviously the playoffs are the ugly part. But I'm sure Daltons agent will use the comparison to Cam that Dalton has more wins, yards, td passes, and playoff APPEARANCES than Cam. So I really will be surprised by a deal getting done. I am excited that they're going after Vontaze, but I am still a little nervous of what millions will do to this guy. I think AAron Murray in the 4th would be a good insurance policy.

I think Aaron Murray in the 4th would be a good insurance policy.

See, I just don't get people that dislike Dalton, but think Murray is the answer.

He's like Dalton version 2.0. If someone likes Dalton and wants Murray, then that seems to make more sense.

It's going to be difficult to re-sign Andy. I know the majority of fans hate him, but the fact is. He has an impressive regular season resume. Obviously the playoffs are the ugly part.

Funny, I was just playing around with the search tools on profootball-reference.com the other day and came to the depressing conclusion that no matter who the QB is, we seem doomed to suck whenever the bright lights go on. Dalton is 2-7 in big games? Yeah, Palmer was a mighty 4-7 on MNF/SNF/Thursday games and the playoffs. Kitna, Fitzy and J.T. O'Suckigan went 0-3. Heck, in team history the Bengals have played on Monday night 30 times. They've won just 10.

Doesn't matter the coach, the OB, the coordinators, we just suck in prime time.

I think it depends on the negotiations and how far apart the "offer" and "requiremnet" is regarding Daltons extension.

If there is so room for manouevre by either side then a deal will get done. If however, they are worlds apart then I could quite easily see a QB being taken if there's a legitimate option available ( as Walzav said " Blake, Manziel, or Bridgewater will slide to 24." )

In that situation Scottish, I would fully anticipate the Bengals make every effort to trade down as opposed to taking a QB.

With all of the questions surrounding these "first round" QB's and the depth the team needs, it seems like a wasted first round pick.

Try to force Dalton's hand ?? His agent isn't that stupid.

Create a QB controversy ?? No sense in doing that.

Overlook other positions that could make an immediate impact THIS season ?? Yep, not smart.

I could see them taking a WR in the first before a QB.

Again, I could be wrong. It's just how I am viewing it.

I think it depends on the negotiations and how far apart the "offer" and "requiremnet" is regarding Daltons extension.

If there is so room for manouevre by either side then a deal will get done. If however, they are worlds apart then I could quite easily see a QB being taken if there's a legitimate option available ( as Walzav said " Blake, Manziel, or Bridgewater will slide to 24." )

Good point. For that matter, it is assumed that AJ Green's deal is a no-brainer, but I could see the team jumping on someone like Odell Beckham if he's available at 24. Not only would that be arguably BPA, but it would give them a bit more leverage in negotiations with Green.

I could see them taking a WR or QB in r1.

Taking a WR, would mean a seriously good player is there. It could also be seen as supplying Dalton with another weapon for his last stand. Keep in mind after Green, Jones and Sanu, you have either unproven guys or scrubs (Cobi, Whalen, Tate and Sanzenbackup).

As for taking a QB, it would be a barometer on Dalton's contract extension, and would mean an attractive player falls (Bridgewater, Manziel, etc). One of them will fall. Will they get to 24? Would Manziel get past Dallas? Would a guy like Bridgewater or Carr get past KC? Either way, that's the only way I see it happening. God only knows they will make a huge reach and take McCaron or Mettenburger in r1, just to make our collective heads explode. Here's hoping that does not occur.

I believe they will take one of the top 4 or 5 CBs. Or an OT. Players are going to slip, and there will be a gem to steal at 24. As long as the team does not make some stupid reach move, we will be happy.

The more I keep thinking about it, the more I think most of those QB's will still be taken prior to #24.

Either by way of the team selecting or via a trade up from another team.

One poor pro day doesn't make Bridgewater a bad NFL prospect, but some teams would surely like others to believe that.

There's a reason for all the smoke and mirrors.

My guess as to the first round pick:

1. CB. The Bengals have taken three corners in the first round in the Marvin era, more than any other position. Moreover, they have also been singularly unsuccessful at finding CBs in later rounds. There will almost certainly be value at CB at 24 and it's arguably the top area of need on defense. Really I would be stunned if CB isn't the pick, unless something very strange happens as the first round unfolds.

2. OL. The Bengals have taken two offensive linemen in the first in the Marvin era, Zeitler and Moobs. And Whitworth isn't getting any younger or healthier. That said, the Bengals have a decent track record recently of finding good o-linemen a bit later in the draft, like Whit in the second, or in free agency. But if someone like Taylor Lewan falls they just might bite.

3. LB. I think Ryan Shazier is the only option here and it depends what the Bengals really think about him. Marvin loves LBs and they have drafted two in the first round during his watch (counting Pollack as an LB). However, both those picks were flops. And given how much nickle the Bengals play these days it's a challenge to get another LB on the field. But who knows, the could fall in love.

So my Big Board at 24:

1. Taylor Lewan (won't be there)

2a/b. Verrett/Fuller

3. Ryan Shazier

As for some other possibilities:

WR: AJ Green was the first and so far only wideout taken in the first under Marvin. He was also the first since Warrick in 2000 and Warrick was the first since Eddie Brown in 1985. Unless it's a super-special player (and I don't think that's Cooks) they don't do WRs in the first.

DL: They've never taken a defensive lineman in the first under Marvin (again counting Pollack as a LB). The last example was Justin Smith in 2001. They could finally break the seal with Ealy or Ford, but they have clearly pushed the d-line to later rounds under Lewis.

RB/QB/TE: Unless they have fallen in love with Carlos Hyde, don't look for any of these positions at 24.

Just like drafts in the past few years, I'm betting a ton of talent falls to #24. I'll trade in my car for a Lumina and name my next kid Katie if they draft a QB at that spot.

There's no way they do that. I hope not, at least.

I have a baby girl due in early June - and a Lumina would be an upgrade for me right now. I'll hold up your end of that bet, Hokie. Bring on Teddy! ^_^

Just like drafts in the past few years, I'm betting a ton of talent falls to #24. I'll trade in my car for a Lumina and name my next kid Katie if they draft a QB at that spot.

I have a baby girl due in early June - and a Lumina would be an upgrade for me right now. I'll hold up your end of that bet, Hokie. Bring on Teddy! ^_^/>

I don't know. Katie Walrus has a good ring to it.

I have a baby girl due in early June - and a Lumina would be an upgrade for me right now. I'll hold up your end of that bet, Hokie. Bring on Teddy! ^_^/>/>

I don't know. Katie Walrus has a good ring to it.

At least it's not the first name that will get her teased!