And It Just Gets Better for Browns Fans

HoosierCat

See, it's times like these where I go back on feeling bad for the Browns fans.

Just when I get to a point where I am sympathizing with them and hoping their team does something to give them some hope, you get all the stupidity from them about how the signing of Dansby and Whitner are going to put them over the top. I've seen posts with each one of their signings that are just ridiculous.

"THE AFC NORTH IS OURS !!", "SUPER BOWL BOUND !!", and other nonsense.

Tell me Browns fans, who is your QB ?? I mean by YOUR standards from last year, they just released Jason "Elite" Campbell.

They just gave up on another first round QB when they released Weeden.

They make you want to see that sh*t continue to happen to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Don Banks recounts the joys of being a Browns fan over the last 20 years. Among his observations:

Cleveland used to be able to at least count on the Bengals, their in-state division rivals, for company in terms of consistent failure. But Cincinnati -- the 1968 AFL expansion franchise legendary ex-Browns founder, owner and coach Paul Brown created to stick a thumb in the eye of Modell, who fired him in 1963 -- has now become a playoff perennial, making the postseason three years in a row and four times in the past five seasons, while Cleveland continues to scratch and claw for just four or five wins a year.

Is there no end to the humiliation? It's enough to give a franchise and a city a complex, almost 20 years in the making.

The impetus for the column is the Draft Day movie opening this weekend. Ominously, it's the only movie opening this weekend that hasn't gotten any reviews up on Rotten Tomatoes so far, which is usually a sign of a clunker. I did find one review that pans it as a "melodramatic bore" and a Cleveland writer laughing at its dumb mistakes.

/>http://norfolkdailynews.com/entertainment/film-review-draft-day/article_b1fc2ac8-bf1e-11e3-8025-001a4bcf6878.html

/>http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20140407/jeff-schudel-browns-centered-draft-day-leaves-realism-out-of-its-playbook

Poor Cleveland. Even their imaginary team appears to suck.

And in a surprise to absolutely no one, "Draft Day" fizzled at the box office last weekend, failing to break the $10 million mark. I've been enjoying the weekend-long effort to turn this turkey into a winner on rottentomatoes.com. When the first couple dozen reviews went up its score was below 50%, a.k.a. rotten. But all weekend long they have scrambled to plug in positive reviews to push it over the 60% "fresh" mark, which they just barely managed to do. Last time I saw such blatant manipulation was for "The Phantom Menace."

And in a surprise to absolutely no one, "Draft Day" fizzled at the box office last weekend, failing to break the $10 million mark. I've been enjoying the weekend-long effort to turn this turkey into a winner on rottentomatoes.com. When the first couple dozen reviews went up its score was below 50%, a.k.a. rotten. But all weekend long they have scrambled to plug in positive reviews to push it over the 60% "fresh" mark, which they just barely managed to do. Last time I saw such blatant manipulation was for "The Phantom Menace."

Costner makes another bomb. Field of Dreams was a long, long, long, time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

There were injury issues but IIRC it was more about Jeff Fisher and Young not getting along.

Which happened because Young was immature and had zero work ethic.

He had a LOT to work on coming into the NFL. His mechanics sucked and he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He preferred to drive around town, spend his money, and just assumed that fame and success would come along.

So yeah...it's true that he and Fisher didn't get along. Young was forced upon him by ownership...

Yeah, I didn't know any of the details, just that the relationship soured fast. If Young has finally gotten his head out of his rear he could be a viable option in Cleveland. But the way he has bounced around the league isn't promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there was no talk of it here, but did anyone else hear the story behind the reason why the Browns took Manziel ??

It was reported that the Browns owner, Haslam, ran into a homeless man who begged Haslam to draft Manziel and he was real compelled by him.

ESPN was talking about how if the owner pushed that pick on the coaches, it wasn't going to work out real well for them.

I was hoping they would take him early and am not concerned by the pick in the least.

The #22 spot and QB's has NOT worked out for the Browns in the past.

I don't see this working out either.

Surprised there was no talk of it here, but did anyone else hear the story behind the reason why the Browns took Manziel ??

It was reported that the Browns owner, Haslam, ran into a homeless man who begged Haslam to draft Manziel and he was real compelled by him.

ESPN was talking about how if the owner pushed that pick on the coaches, it wasn't going to work out real well for them.

I was hoping they would take him early and am not concerned by the pick in the least.

The #22 spot and QB's has NOT worked out for the Browns in the past.

I don't see this working out either.

Hilarious. And completely unsurprising. I like Florio's line that after allegedly spending $100k on a report that placed Bridgewater as the best QB of the class, the Browns should ask for their money back and give it to the homeless guy. And then have him make the rest of their picks, too! :lmao:

Honestly, I was not at all liking how Round 1 was shaping up until the Browns made that move - which seemed to turn everything around! :)

In possibly related news, Mike Brown was spotted Wednesday night at the Greater Cincinnati Airport getting off a flight from Cleveland. He was tailed by a fan driving home, who observed him make one stop at a Goodwill store and deposit a suitcase in the overnight box. Curious, the fan retrieved the suitcase, which was found to contain some tattered dirty clothes, a fake beard and wig, an empty bottle of Night Train, and a small cardboard sign with "Draft Manziel" written on it.

In possibly related news, Mike Brown was spotted Wednesday night at the Greater Cincinnati Airport getting off a flight from Cleveland. He was tailed by a fan driving home, who observed him make one stop at a Goodwill store and deposit a suitcase in the overnight box. Curious, the fan retrieved the suitcase, which was found to contain some tattered dirty clothes, a fake beard and wig, an empty bottle of Night Train, and a small cardboard sign with "Draft Manziel" written on it.

Brilliant !!!

Interesting tweet:

Albert Breer

The Vikings tried to trade with Philadelphia, before Cleveland pulled it off, to go and get Johnny Manziel. Didn't work out.

Zim was pretty emphatic that he didn't want the Manziel circus. I think the Vikes dodged a bullet there.

So yesterday the Clowns pass on Sammy Watkins and today espn is reporting Josh Gorden is facing a season-long suspension for failing a drug test!

/>http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

The Factory of Sadness churns on!

Even better:

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler 9m

Again, the #Browns knew of the Josh Gordon situation yesterday prior to the start of the NFL Draft

So I guess the plan in Cleveland is...Andrew Hawkins. No pressure, baby Hawk, no pressure. :lol:

Even BETTER better, Mort and Adam just reported on espn that not only did the FO know about the looming suspension, they DID NOT TELL THE COACHING STAFF UNTIL THE NEWS BROKE TODAY!!!!!

Welcome to Cleveland Mike Pettine! :lmao:

Oh and WR Nate Burlson has a broken arm.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10910885/cleveland-browns-wr-nate-burleson-suffered-fractured-arm-minicamp

Manziel has to be thinking that Jax doesn't look so bad after all...