Sunday night football Bengals vs Steelers thread

combatbengal

I will say this about Dalton, given NO running game, shoddy offensive line play (didn't see that coming), and receivers dropping balls all over the place, along with the 21-0 hole thanks to special teams, I was pleased that he didn't compound the problems with some INTs while forcing the ball places. Was glad to see him play mistake free football for the most part in a tough spot, given the cold, the wind, and a Steelers team that could pin their ears back. Baby steps of progress.

Ditto! His completion percentage was down but he had more yards and on more touchdown and one less interception than Fat Boy had!!

The Steelers remain my most disliked team. It started when I saw Keith Gary try and take Kenny Anderson's head off on MNF when I was about 8 years old.

They are a dirty, classless team. Always have been and always will be.

That play cost us our punter and a TD that broke the game open. Ridiculous non-call.

Defense stunk up the joint most of the night and let an early ST's gaffe turn into a blow out. Offensive line blew it in the 1st quarter, terrible protection, 2 penalties (on Whit I believe).

Not having Newman sucks, #1 and #2 CB's not playing, need Newman back for post season.

Zimmer better figure out what's up with his defense quick. That was as bad as i've seen them play in a long time, from the standpoint of just getting beat and out-played.

Pretty flat-looking team over-all. Never going to win a playoff game on the road, gotta win these next 2 now and make sure they get a 1st round home game.

Seems to me that the defense only gave up one touchdown. That's as good as you can expect on a night like this

The Steelers remain my most disliked team. It started when I saw Keith Gary try and take Kenny Anderson's head off on MNF when I was about 8 years old.

That play cost us our punter and a TD that broke the game open. Ridiculous non-call.

Referees even appear to be intimidated by them.

Seems to me that the defense only gave up one touchdown

True enough, but

--they were regularly gashed in the run game

--they generated very little pass rush

--they missed so many tackles that I was at times reminded of the teams from the 90s

and it should be added that the Steelers were playing ultra conservatively with the 24 point lead. Had the game been closer, you'd have seen more attempts at big plays, and the defensive stats would have been a lot worse

Seems to me that the defense only gave up one touchdown

True enough, but

--they were regularly gashed in the run game

--they generated very little pass rush

--they missed so many tackles that I was at times reminded of the teams from the 90s

and it should be added that the Steelers were playing ultra conservatively with the 24 point lead. Had the game been closer, you'd have seen more attempts at big plays, and the defensive stats would have been a lot worse

I point at the 5 defensive starters out on IR, plus Newman being hurt, as the root of the problem. They have been playing above their heads for weeks, so to see them struggle is not a huge surprise.

Atkins

Geathers

Lamur

Hall

Mays

My biggest concern overall is the sudden lack of execution on offense. Honestly, the playcalling was not the worst we've seen. Dropping passes, missing open receivers, poor running vision, poor blocking, poor, poor, poor. 1 and done if they show up like this for a playoff game.

That TD play where Ben had almost 9 seconds in the pocket while we rushed two was just stupid.

They dropped two in coverage and still gave up the TD pass.

WTF ??

As noted elsewhere MJ said that was a screwup. More guys were supposed to rush but there was confusion on the play.

I point at the 5 defensive starters out on IR, plus Newman being hurt, as the root of the problem. They have been playing above their heads for weeks, so to see them struggle is not a huge surprise.

Atkins

Geathers

Lamur

Hall

Mays

Oh I know all that - just disagreeing a bit on the aforestated thought that the defense played well last night.

For the season, tho, yes -- they have been rather remarkable given the injuries

That TD play where Ben had almost 9 seconds in the pocket while we rushed two was just stupid.

They dropped two in coverage and still gave up the TD pass.

WTF ??

As noted elsewhere MJ said that was a screwup. More guys were supposed to rush but there was confusion on the play.

Oh, that was the play he was referring to ??

Yeah, confusion indeed. That's one way of calling it.

Clusterf*ck would be another.

I said it before in the Bengals forum and I will say it again here#

If winning means winning at any cost and turning into a bunch of thugs like the Steelers, then count me out!

At that point I will stop following the Bengals.

I will be rooting as hard for the Steelers to lose their last 2 games as I will be rooting for the Bengals to win!

I said it before in the Bengals forum and I will say it again here#

If winning means winning at any cost and turning into a bunch of thugs like the Steelers, then count me out!

At that point I will stop following the Bengals.

I will be rooting as hard for the Steelers to lose their last 2 games as I will be rooting for the Bengals to win!

I'm inclined to root for the Steelers to win out and somehow make it into the playoffs - so we can have another shot at those a------s. :angry:

We Loss it sucks but we still only loss because of a few bad plays so I'll take it.

Hopefully no one was seriously injured and are ready to go come playoff time,still can't beleive there was no frakin flag on the Huber hit though.

PS,Worst part knowing Steeler fans are Circle Jerking over this win and that block.

Whatever the outlook, there's one unchangable silver lining -- the Steelers are still screwed next year. As Peter King notes in his MMQB today:

Not trying to give you Steelers fans a lump of coal so close to Christmas. But this from The MMQB columnist Andrew Brandt: “I don’t think there’s a team in the last three years that’s mortgaged the future as much as the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

At the NFL’s one-day meeting in Dallas last week, the league projected the 2014 salary at $126.3 million, a rise of just over $3 million from this year’s cap. That’s not going to do the Steelers any favors. As their contracts stand now for 2014—according to the underrated site overthecap.com—the Steelers are set to spend two-thirds of their cap on seven players: Ben Roethlisberger ($18.9 million cap number), LaMarr Woodley ($13.6 million), Ike Taylor ($11.9 million), Lawrence Timmons ($11.8 million), Troy Polamalu ($10.9 million), Heath Miller ($9.5 million) and Antonio Brown ($8.5 million).

That's $85.1 million, or 67.4% of the estimated cap, worst in the league. (And the Ravens aren't far behind at $75.3 million, or 59.6%, which is fourth-worst.)

Just for comparison's sake, the Bengals top seven:

Atkins $9 million

Hall $8.7 million

Dunlap $8.6 million

Green $6.2 million

Whitworth $6.2 million

Moobs $5.2 million

Nelson $4.5

That's $48.4 million or about 38%. So if I'm a Steeler fan I enjoy this last little hurrah, because it's all you're going to get for a while.