State of the Bengals

combatbengal

Year after year, we (the Bengals fans) get pumped up because we think this is our year. We hear about all of the improvements made, see what’s put on paper (appearing to be a great team), asked to purchase tickets and merchandise to support the team. This past off season, they even had players calling season ticket holders who gave up their seats asking them to come back; it’s going to be a great season, they say!

What is it about our team? Palmer quit on us! Dillon wanted out! Spikes wanted out! And so on and so on!

Every year our hopes and dreams of a playoff run and Super Bowl appearance are enhanced by the promises from the coaches and players. The rosters look really good; Palmer, Chad, TO, etc. and this year adding weapons to the offense. Only to produce mediocre performance. Palmer used to always say after a loss, we have to play better, we have to improve. Dalton, is now saying I have to play better… Well, when is that actually going to happen? What exactly do they do during the week and at practice?

There are games when we show up looking unprepared, with no game plan, no motivation, etc. Players appear to be frustrated, shaking their heads, confused, out of sync. Mistakes are made which causes three and outs, routes are not run properly, penalties are made which stall drives, bad decisions are made during kick returns, timeout are wasted, clock management doesn’t exist, there never seems to be a sense of urgency to move the ball down the field at the end of the 1st half or game…

Maybe it’s me, maybe I expect too much. Maybe I should stop watching the Buckeyes, who’ve won their past 17 games under a new coach! Yea, I know it’s a different level than the NFL, but they’ve had players suspended, kicked off the team for this and that, players who have graduated and moved on, players hurt, but somehow the team seems to find ways to not only win but blow out opponents. You can argue that they’ve played some pretty bad or soft teams, but then they’ve also faced MI, WI, etc. Why can’t our Bengals perform like this – consistent week after week? I’m not asking the Bengals blow out every team we face, but come prepared and ready to play. We should have beaten the Bears, we should have blown out the Packers and we should have beaten the Browns.

2-2 is unacceptable for what we have on the roster! Our Defensive line is among the best in the league! We have some of the best college prospects as weapons on offense. Yet our coaches have no idea how or when to utilize them.

Just extremely frustrated!! I drive around with tons of Bengal magnets on my car, my motorcycle is orange with black stripes, the house is filled with Bengal gear and pictures, and all my family and friends know how passionate I am about the Bengals. It’s becoming embarrassing.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frustration sucks.

Should this team be better than 2-2 ?? I think so, but then again, I had them at 3-1 at this point, so they are a game off.

There are still 12 games in the season and are sitting tied for first place.

I'm frustrated as well and don't like how Dalton seems to be moving backward.

However, I wouldn't begin to compare this team to the Palmer teams that were created.

Gruden and that offense are really irritating me to no end and they need to pull their collective heads out of their backside.

The defense really appeared to miss both Hall and Nelson yesterday. They just didn't look the same from that standpoint.

Ohio State ?? Yeah, love them, but like you said, it's not in the same ball park.

There's no NFL comparison to college teams like Buffalo, San Diego St. and Florida A&M.

Every NFL team can go from worst to first in a single offseason. Not so much in college.

I do love the Buckeyes though.

No meltdowns here.

I certainly understand the disappointment and there are quite a few questions marks. Gruden tops the list for me right now.

But hey...we lost in Cleveland last year, too. We also had a 5-game losing streak if I remember correctly. Welcome to the NFL.

As much as we want a mature Super Bowl contender, this is still a young and growing offense with a couple of rookies that we're expecting to play key roles. Fingers crossed against New England next week...

Who Dey!

bengal.gif

Ravens fired their OC late last season, then won Super Bowl and gave their QB a huge extension. Things change quickly. QBs, in particular, are never as bad as they look at their worst nor as good as they look at their best.

better pass protection would really help the timing in the passing game. Also, defenses are out-nastying the Bengals offense, who have gone to finesse players. really should have kept Connor. There was not a nasty backup guard to replace Zeitler yesterday, because there's not one on the roster-- it's all about roster flexibility, with this offense. That's not AFC North football, IMO.

No meltdowns here.

I certainly understand the disappointment and there are quite a few questions marks. Gruden tops the list for me right now.

But hey...we lost in Cleveland last year, too. We also had a 5-game losing streak if I remember correctly. Welcome to the NFL.

As much as we want a mature Super Bowl contender, this is still a young and growing offense with a couple of rookies that we're expecting to play key roles. Fingers crossed against New England next week...

Who Dey!

bengal.gif

Agreed. Andy had a horrible day yesterday, but history suggests it was an outlier. And the fact that the whole team played poorly suggests yesterday was pretty much a classic letdown game. The team won a big emotional game last week and spent the following six days straining arm muscles patting themselves on the back and imagining that what they left in the toilet every morning had no odor.

A couple things concern me more than Dalton coming out of this game, because in the final analysis if they want to move on from Andy they can with no long-term issues. That can't be said for the defense, which is now filled with big-bucks contracts. The D came up small yesterday and the only reason the score wasn't worse is that Billy Cundiff couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

The other thing is what you mentioned, Jay Gruden. When you have a QB who is struggling like Dalton was yesterday, you have to find a way to help him out. Instead it was just pass after pass after pass. I think that in part this goes back to the choice of Charles over Connor. This team is just not set up to pound the rock. And if that's the case and he felt he couldn't call more runs, then he needs to bench Dalton in the second half. It didn't hurt Anderson back in '81, when he was ineffective in the first game against Seattle and they turned to Turk Schonert, who rallied the team for a win. Kenny came back the next week and we ended up in the Super Bowl.

QB's struggle (except for Peyton Manning who is a machine) Rodgers last week. Kaepernick, etc.... It happens. It was a miracle to win against the Packers especially after the short week. This was just a trap game. That's it. The team felt they were a little better than they actually are. They have to bring their A game every week. Watch Ameriga's Game. every team has ups and down during the season. Hold tight. It's far from over. We're tied for 1st at 2-2.

Dalton's throws have been off for the past two weeks. We got very lucky last week! I was wanting him benched yesterday and last week. Maybe if he's sitting on the bench watching Johnson, that might spark a fire in him! I agree that he needs more time, but it's not always the lines fault. Gannon pointed out a play yesterday that Dalton had nobody to throw too, everybody was covered, or rather smothered.

If we go for it on 4th and 1 we should always have Peko in seeing that we let go of Connor. I say drop Tate, put Sanzenbacher in for kick returns and sign Connor! I'd suggest using Adam Jones but we're already short at DB's and can't afford him getting hurt.

Bernard should be our starter and the Law firm as a back up! Or put the Law Firm at FB!!

I didn't see Eifert in the game that much yesterday! He needs to be in for most of the game! Eifert, Gresham and Green are three huge targets for Dalton and very hard to cover!! You add Bernard out of the back field and Sanu!! How can other teams stop that?

The coaching staff needs to go back to the drawing board and use the KISS method; Keep It Simple Stupid!

Unfortunately the Giants signed Connor last week. About all we can do at the moment is cross our fingers and hope Pressley can get off PUP ASAP.

Bengals went into this game expecting to be handed a W and instead they got punched in the mouth. If yesterday doesn't get both coaches and players to pull their heads out of their asses, nothing will.

**Again, from the standpoint of rooting for and wanting to see Dalton improve**

He needs to figure out why he's overthrowing the players.

It's not that he's trying to put it where only his guy can get it either.

It's overthrowing a wide open guy without anyone within 10 yards of him.

It's screens, intermediate throws, and definitely the long balls. ALL of them.

I also won't put it on the line, because there have been plenty of times where he has done this even being able to step up in the pocket.

Blame the players ?? Nope. How many times have we seen the players, Green yesterday, simply shake their head in disbelief ??

Andy needs to figure out what to do in order to correct this as I view it as the biggest reason the offense is failing.

The WR's are healthy, the line is intact, Eifert and Gio are in fact the real deal. That leaves Dalton.

Like I said in another post, my patience is wearing thin with what I have seen each week this season.

This is not a single game problem, it's been progressing.

Gruden ?? Yep, BIG problem as well. Head coaching opportunities won't come with what he's done to this point.

Well, for starters both Andy and Jay can quit trying to force the ball to A.J. It isn't working. Dalton's rating is 65 when he's trying to hit Green. Everyone else? 92.

Overall, Dalton has been far more successful so far this year hitting TEs and RBs versus his wideouts. So let's try doing that crazy thing called "sticking with what works."

Better balance in playcalling would also be a boon, IMO. Through the first four games it's been 148 passes to 99 rushes (including 13 runs by Andy, most of which were unplanned scrambles). The passing offense is, believe it or not, actually about average (16th in yards) but the rushing game is 23rd. The Bengals have a whopping 335 rushing yards through four games.

Hey we're still in with a shot of the AFCN title and the play-offs, certainly not time to panic nor call for heads to roll but time to rally round and ride it out. Cleveland are a decent team, got a great D and were able to move the ball for yardage against our patched up secondary - surely thats no surprise.

Cleveland are a difficult team to run against and the G-plan was to throw. Dalton had a nightmare sure but he is what we've got until the draft at least so no point crying about we have to suck it up and push on.

What happens if we beat New England next game out? Combine that with the wins over Green Bay and Pittsburgh and do we claim to be a Superbowl calibre side or just that we're a decent team that's a bit up and down - which is exactly what we are currently..

Well, for starters both Andy and Jay can quit trying to force the ball to A.J. It isn't working. Dalton's rating is 65 when he's trying to hit Green. Everyone else? 92.

Overall, Dalton has been far more successful so far this year hitting TEs and RBs versus his wideouts. So let's try doing that crazy thing called "sticking with what works."

Better balance in playcalling would also be a boon, IMO. Through the first four games it's been 148 passes to 99 rushes (including 13 runs by Andy, most of which were unplanned scrambles). The passing offense is, believe it or not, actually about average (16th in yards) but the rushing game is 23rd. The Bengals have a whopping 335 rushing yards through four games.

I agree they need to stop forcing the ball to AJ, but when he has a step or two past the defender, Dalton needs to hit those passes. He missed two passes yesterday that should have went for big gains, and one for a TD.

Dalton's throws have been off for the past two weeks. We got very lucky last week! I was wanting him benched yesterday and last week. Maybe if he's sitting on the bench watching Johnson, that might spark a fire in him! I agree that he needs more time, but it's not always the lines fault. Gannon pointed out a play yesterday that Dalton had nobody to throw too, everybody was covered, or rather smothered.

If we go for it on 4th and 1 we should always have Peko in seeing that we let go of Connor. I say drop Tate, put Sanzenbacher in for kick returns and sign Connor! I'd suggest using Adam Jones but we're already short at DB's and can't afford him getting hurt.

Bernard should be our starter and the Law firm as a back up! Or put the Law Firm at FB!!

I didn't see Eifert in the game that much yesterday! He needs to be in for most of the game! Eifert, Gresham and Green are three huge targets for Dalton and very hard to cover!! You add Bernard out of the back field and Sanu!! How can other teams stop that?

The coaching staff needs to go back to the drawing board and use the KISS method; Keep It Simple Stupid!

Agree about using Peko, cut Tate, use Dane for all returns...

There is a bit of mis-use/mis-management of the roster to this point. Head scratching stuff.

Truth is unless the run game is working, it's on Dalton to command to success of the O. That might be too much for him to shoulder, as we've seen.

Truth is unless the run game is working, it's on Dalton to command to success of the O. That might be too much for him to shoulder, as we've seen.

It's a big ask for any QB. But you hit on something that's flying a bit under the radar: this year's running game has been remarkably unproductive. So far they have 99 rushes for 335 yards. Last year, through the first 4 games, the numbers were 115/440. in 2011, it was 105/460.

They are on pace for 1,340 rushing yards, which I think would be a franchise record low since they went to a 16 game season.

I don't doubt that some of that is teams stacking the box and daring Dalton to beat them, but it seems to me like there's little commitment to the run among the coaching staff (witness Hue's "we're not that kind of team" remarks on HK during the Charles/Connor debate).

It's a big ask for any QB. But you hit on something that's flying a bit under the radar: this year's running game has been remarkably unproductive. So far they have 99 rushes for 335 yards. Last year, through the first 4 games, the numbers were 115/440. in 2011, it was 105/460.

They are on pace for 1,340 rushing yards, which I think would be a franchise record low since they went to a 16 game season.

I don't doubt that some of that is teams stacking the box and daring Dalton to beat them, but it seems to me like there's little commitment to the run among the coaching staff (witness Hue's "we're not that kind of team" remarks on HK during the Charles/Connor debate).

So, I see the run game issue as layered. Oline is not grinding with Cook at C. He just does not get the push he needs. Next is over emphasis on BJGE. He is neither fast, shifty or powerful... He's simply safe and average, barely. That's not good enough. Gio needs more touches, specifically running touches. I'd even say Rex needs 5-7 carries a game. The last issue is with FB, expecting Charles to make an impact. Nice idea but not on this team, this year. Letting Conner go was an error. Them bringing Peko in admits that.

I'd rechannel the run game through Gio and Rex. BJGE can spell them. Cook needs to sit. Without a true FB, they need to be diverse with Peko and the play calls. I think this could get the running game in motion.

So, I see the run game issue as layered. Oline is not grinding with Cook at C. He just does not get the push he needs. Next is over emphasis on BJGE. He is neither fast, shifty or powerful... He's simply safe and average, barely. That's not good enough. Gio needs more touches, specifically running touches. I'd even say Rex needs 5-7 carries a game. The last issue is with FB, expecting Charles to make an impact. Nice idea but not on this team, this year. Letting Conner go was an error. Them bringing Peko in admits that.

I'd rechannel the run game through Gio and Rex. BJGE can spell them. Cook needs to sit. Without a true FB, they need to be diverse with Peko and the play calls. I think this could get the running game in motion.

I endorse all the above. The only problem is that they don't appear to have a viable alternative at center. Someone asked Reedy on twitter why they didn't bring Robinson in to play G when Zeitler got hurt instead of shuffling the whole line. Apparently Robinson got hurt in the spring and hasn't been right since. So I guess that's another ??? personnel decision.

I endorse all the above. The only problem is that they don't appear to have a viable alternative at center. Someone asked Reedy on twitter why they didn't bring Robinson in to play G when Zeitler got hurt instead of shuffling the whole line. Apparently Robinson got hurt in the spring and hasn't been right since. So I guess that's another ??? personnel decision.

That's a bummer right there.

Interesting take:

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000253492/article/matt-schaub-andy-dalton-continually-stifle-wouldbe-contenders

I agree a lot of the fix on offense has to come with a running game. If they want to help Andy out, then get physical and pound the ball. It's almost like they are afraid to run it 2 times in a row. It's almost run, pass, pass all the time. Time to mix it up Jay.

I also have to agree the defense had not been as dominant as they were down the stretch last year. They have been good, but with this team they need better. I also will say it dosnt help when they are on the field 81 and 71 plays for two weeks. Finally saw Atkins do something yesterday which was good, but still 3rd downs where was the defense. So as good as they are I'm hoping to see better results, and how about some more turnovers.

That's a bummer right there.

Interesting take:

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000253492/article/matt-schaub-andy-dalton-continually-stifle-wouldbe-contenders

Seems legit. Unfortunately.

Still far too early to panic, especially when the AFC North looks like such a collective mess. Dalton was terrible yesterday and I struggle to find any confidence in him right now, but that doesn't mean he will singlehandedly ruin the entire football team. Joe Flacco just won a Super Bowl MVP award, and he looks as crappy as ever right now.

Was the game even surprising at all? Cleveland has had our number at the Dawg Pound in recent seasons and they're fielding their most talented roster in years. Sure, it's discouraging to see the offense struggle so much against a capable defense, but it's also the fourth straight capable defense they've had to face (with another coming next week) to start the season. We're not in a 2010 nosedive yet.