Bengals @ Bears Game Thread

HoosierCat

Yeah surprised me too. Here is the piece.

/>https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/09/refo-cin-chi-week-1-2/

from that same piece

"While Rey Maualuga made the game-ending mistake, it was Taylor Mays who cheated inside and lost contain on the Bears’ fourth-down conversion that led to the game-winning score."

frikkin worhless-as5 piece of sh!t

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from that same piece

"While Rey Maualuga made the game-ending mistake, it was Taylor Mays who cheated inside and lost contain on the Bears’ fourth-down conversion that led to the game-winning score."

Which is why they need to find another LB, and cut or leave this guy on special teams only. Hopefully they will fill the LB spot, man I miss Lamur

from that same piece

"While Rey Maualuga made the game-ending mistake, it was Taylor Mays who cheated inside and lost contain on the Bears fourth-down conversion that led to the game-winning score."

Holy crap. The NFL is merciless. You leave one weak link in the chain, and you'll pay for it. I am unaware of the mind control method being used on Marvin that makes him keep crappy USC washouts way after their expiration date, but I am sick of it. Get Thomas Howard in here. Anyone. Say goodbye to Taylor Mays. We have a big need at linebacker? Hey, Taylor's so unreliable, he can't play his own position, let's move him to our spot of need! What, it blew up in our face? Shocking. Throw Taylor Mays in the river.

All of the game analysis after saying that you didn't watch the game? C'mon, man.

Actually, as I said, I was looking at (analyzing?) the stats

The dline is conspicuous by their absence in the stats

The turnovers were conspicious by their presence in the stats

Yes, but ESPN stats are going to be different than what you see watching the game. Especially in regards to D-Line.

Not ESPN. The stats were from NFL.com. Gameday section.

But again, yes, I said I had not watched the game, and these were my thoughts based on the __stats__ (solely and exclusively), so I don't know what your point is. Is it that I am I am not permitted to discuss stats?

The dline did not produce a sack

The offense committed turnovers

These are Facts.

Get over yourself

Why are you getting angry? I merely questioned you calling players out to play up to their play grade after admittedly not watching the game. NFL.com stats don't tell the whole story all of the time and that's a fact.

Why are you getting angry? I merely questioned you calling players out to play up to their play grade after admittedly not watching the game. NFL.com stats don't tell the whole story all of the time and that's a fact.

[/qu

The highest paid DLine in the league did not get a sack against one of the worst O-lines in the league

Fact

We had a costly turnovers

Fact

I agree that I could have said MORE had I watched the game, but I only had the stats, so I said what I said based on those, and I stand by what I said.

Ridiculous

Throw Taylor Mays in the river.

I enjoyed the sarcasm :-)

But honestly, I look at it a bit differently that you - that they gave him yet another chance at another spot, and he cant handle that either

According to Marvin, Mays did NOT play linebaker on Sunday. And, Marvin graded him as having an okay game.

We could throw him under the bus for blowing a play, but by that logic we'd have to throw a lot of other players under the bus right along with him. I don't like the guy, either, but we at least need to look at his performance this season objectively.

But honestly, I look at it a bit differently that you - that they gave him yet another chance at another spot, and he cant handle that either

According to Marvin, Mays did NOT play linebaker on Sunday. And, Marvin graded him as having an okay game.

We could throw him under the bus for blowing a play, but by that logic we'd have to throw a lot of other players under the bus right along with him. I don't like the guy, either, but we at least need to look at his performance this season objectively.

I dont really care whether he played linebacker, safety, second base, or goalie - he did his usual "agreen of the Bengals" thing and was less than useless. He has to go. Now.

You're saying other folks screwed up, including but not limited to AJ, and I agree - but with Mays, it isn't just this one game - it is the body of his "work" here and this was yet another last straw on the ol' camel's back

I dont really care whether he played linebacker, safety, second base, or goalie - he did his usual "agreen of the Bengals" thing and was less than useless. He has to go. Now.

He was less than useless? What are you basing this on? All of your tape analysis?

All I know of is one play (Bears' 4th down conversion) where Mays lost contain, and I only know about this due to PFF pointing it out.

I get that you don't like the guy. Neither do I. But, he's out there playing and should be judged based on what he's actually doing...not what you assume he's actually doing.

Sanu lost a ball when the defender got lucky and put his helmet directly on the ball. There is nothing he could have done better or different to keep it from happening. Sometimes crap happens. It would have been OK if M. Jones and AJ hadn't already given the ball away three times. Those fumbles could have been avoided easier than a direct helmet strike to the ball, like Sanu,s fumble was.

Yeah, I think the initial reaction was "fcking Sanu!" but on review it was just a great play by the Bears' D. They made 3-4 big defensive plays, the Bengals D made one, and that was pretty much the difference in the game.

What's frustrating is that we know this D can play better. And in fact they are being paid a metric sht ton of cash to play better than they did Sunday. Remember the days when the Bengals spent all their money on offense and scraped the D together out of spare parts? Not this time. The only two guys making any significant coin on offense are Whit and Smith, and their deals combined don't equal the money the team just gave to Dunlap alone. Geno got paid, MJ is getting franchise coin, Hall is in the middle of his big-money deal and even Reggie Nelson is something like the 8th-highest paid safety in the NFL.

And what did this well-over-$100 million defense do Sunday? Gave up 24 points, got no sacks, no forced fumbles and one measly gift-wrapped pick.

If I was Mike Brown Monday morning, my first question would have been, "hey Marvin, what the fck am I paying for???"

Yeah, I think the initial reaction was "fcking Sanu!" but on review it was just a great play by the Bears' D. They made 3-4 big defensive plays, the Bengals D made one, and that was pretty much the difference in the game.

What's frustrating is that we know this D can play better. And in fact they are being paid a metric sht ton of cash to play better than they did Sunday. Remember the days when the Bengals spent all their money on offense and scraped the D together out of spare parts? Not this time. The only two guys making any significant coin on offense are Whit and Smith, and their deals combined don't equal the money the team just gave to Dunlap alone. Geno got paid, MJ is getting franchise coin, Hall is in the middle of his big-money deal and even Reggie Nelson is something like the 8th-highest paid safety in the NFL.

And what did this well-over-$100 million defense do Sunday? Gave up 24 points, got no sacks, no forced fumbles and one measly gift-wrapped pick.

If I was Mike Brown Monday morning, my first question would have been, "hey Marvin, what the fck am I paying for???"

They'll get it cleaned up.

The question, as always, will be whether or not the offense and defense can both click at the same time.

My line of thought still includes them being able to fix the issues they had from Sunday.

There was much discussion about Cutler only dropping back three steps and firing.

That has to make things difficult on getting to the QB. However, there was still pressure being applied even with his three step drop.

The rest of the defense also has to make plays and I agree that the gift wrapped INT isn't enough.

There were plenty of times where the LB, CB, or safety didn't even turn around to get a visual on the ball. That's not going to cut it.

Still one of my biggest concerns revolves around the use of timeouts and the clock management.

For one reason or another, it's always been a problem and have no reason to think it will improve.

Using them in the first half is one thing. Burning them up early in the second is quite another.

It bit them in the ass Sunday.

I thought the d actually did a hell of a job but were constantly put under the gun because the offense made so many turnovers. Again I to expect a defense to perform at a top-notch level however I cannot help but to complain about sanus eventhough it was a direct helmet hit considering it puts the defense in a very bad position. Someone on this board once said Marvin Lewis and his staff are terrible at halftime adjustments. I was carefully watching in the second half and noticed once again an opposing team came out after halftime some how gained more yardage scored more points and won the game even at a great disadvantage. I am a huge fan of this coaching staff but this is a case in point where my dimmer failed to make the correct adjustments in the third quarter.

They'll get it cleaned up.

The question, as always, will be whether or not the offense and defense can both click at the same time.

I agree that's been an issue in the past but I don't think it was the problem last Sunday. The defense didn't play poorly, they just didn't do much of anything special. By all reports (and paychecks) we have a defense stocked with all-pros. Sunday they played like a bunch of "just a guys."

In short, I don't think they need to clean it up as much as they need to step it up.

I am a huge fan of this coaching staff but this is a case in point where my dimmer failed to make the correct adjustments in the third quarter.

Are you sure about that? This would take some serious tape study to prove.

Was it a matter of Zimmer getting out-schemed in the 2nd half or did the defense simply not execute as well? I don't think either of us really knows the answer to that.

In short, I don't think they need to clean it up as much as they need to step it up.

You just love arguing semantics. :P/>

We're saying the same thing. Fewer turnovers, and fewer penalties. Clean it up. Step it up. Whatever.

Your inability to know what I'm thinking is not my fault. :P

You just love arguing semantics. tongue.gif/>

We're saying the same thing. Fewer turnovers, and fewer penalties. Clean it up. Step it up. Whatever.

Your inability to know what I'm thinking is not my fault. tongue.gif

Actually, it is. We wouldn't have this problem if you'd stop wearing your stupid hat.

800px-TinFoilHat002.jpg