Bengals @ Rams Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Any word on Dunlaps hammy?

Earlier reports were that Flesh-Z was expected to practice today, but beyond that, nada yet. Watch reedy and hob's twitters for the practice report.

Here's how things are expected to shape up for the Rams today.

Like Bradford, defensive end Chris Long (ankle) was sore. Spagnuolo expected Long to be limited in practice, as he has been before the last two games. Spagnuolo also said he was unsure whether offensive lineman Mark LeVoir (groin) would practice. LeVoir just returned after missing two games with a pectoral injury.

Tight end Stephen Spach will be treated for a concussion.

Fullback Brit Miller (knee) hasn't improved since hurting himself in warm-ups last week. "We may have to make a decision," Spagnuolo said, meaning he could go on injured reserve.

Spagnuolo listed the following players as day to day: safety Craig Dahl (ankle), defensive end James Hall (pectoral), quarterback A.J. Feely (thumb) and cornerback Josh Gordy (oblique strain).

Spagnuolo expected defensive tackle Fred Robbins (back) and running back Quinn Porter (oblique) to return to practice today.

Sam Bradford is expected to be limited in practice this week due to an ankle injury.

Earlier reports were that Flesh-Z was expected to practice today, but beyond that, nada yet. Watch reedy and hob's twitters for the practice report.

Did anyone predict this'd be a 5 week+ injury at the time?

Yes. Especially with him rushing back.

No but in Marvin-speak a tweaked hamstring was probably actually detached from the bone.

Glad he's practicing. We're gonna need him.

I just wonder why they wont let Collins play Guard! I know he is a tackle, but i still think he is one of the best OL they have, and they either sit him on the bench or keep im inactive. I just dont get it, he comes in and plays, and he played great these last two games, i think its about time to let him play somewhere on the line!!

Just to follow up, after practice reports are that Smith and Dunlap practiced, but were limited.

For the Rams, Bradford sat out wearing a boot and said if the game were today he would be out.

The local media here are reporting that Dunlap is a "go" for the game this weekend

Just to follow up, after practice reports are that Smith and Dunlap practiced, but were limited.

For the Rams, Bradford sat out wearing a boot and said if the game were today he would be out.

The local media here are reporting that Dunlap is a "go" for the game this weekend

How convenient. The Bengals best pass-rusher is finally back, after missing the most important 5 game stretch of the season.

Per Goheen, via Reedy:

Benson, Clements, Crocker, Lawson, Wilson and Dunlap in uniform and practicing. Leonard, Pressley, Smith, Moch not.

Sounds like Collins is headed toward another start at RT. The latest Smith injury looks like it's setting up an interesting subplot for the offseason. Over on the .com, Whit and the other guys on the o-line are all talking AC up as a starting RT-quality player. And of course AC is a free agent come next March.

Meanwhile, Smith is only signed through 2012 since the Bengals declined to pick up his option earlier this year. So what to do?

Pay RT money to Collins to be a backup?

Pay RT money to Collins to start and let Flesh-Z walk in 2013? (Or try to covert Smith to a RG?)

Let Collins walk and hope Smith stops being injury-prone?

Forget both of 'em and burn more high draft picks on the o-line over the next two years?

Pay RT money to Collins to start and let Flesh-Z walk in 2013? (Or try to covert Smith to a RG?)

This would be my favorite option... plus drafting DeCastro to play LG. I feel like that would be a damn decent O-Line.

Of course... I really, REALLY doubt that converting Andre Smith is being considered as a viable option.

This would be my favorite option... plus drafting DeCastro to play LG. I feel like that would be a damn decent O-Line.

Of course... I really, REALLY doubt that converting Andre Smith is being considered as a viable option.

Too bad...I think he would be a pretty amazing guard.

Per Goheen, via Reedy:

Benson, Clements, Crocker, Lawson, Wilson and Dunlap in uniform and practicing. Leonard, Pressley, Smith, Moch not.

Sounds like Collins is headed toward another start at RT. The latest Smith injury looks like it's setting up an interesting subplot for the offseason. Over on the .com, Whit and the other guys on the o-line are all talking AC up as a starting RT-quality player. And of course AC is a free agent come next March.

Meanwhile, Smith is only signed through 2012 since the Bengals declined to pick up his option earlier this year. So what to do?

Pay RT money to Collins to be a backup?

Let Collins walk and hope Smith stops being injury-prone?

Forget both of 'em and burn more high draft picks on the o-line over the next two years?

I hope they move Smith to RG and let Collins play RT.

Too bad...I think he would be a pretty amazing guard.

Perhaps. I would imagine that the vast majority of the OTs that have been converted to OGs have been because they are capable run-blockers, but are a liability against edge rushers in pass protection.

Andre may not be pitching shutouts against the leagues best edge rushers, but he's been good much more often than not. Where he has been a liability has been as a run-blocker. Strange... because coming out of college it was believed that he could be immediately plugged into any NFL O-Line as a dominant run-blocker.

All of that to say, I'm not sure what to think about Andre. But I'd be willing to buy stock in Anthony Collins. I don't know how he grades out according to PFF... but from what I've seen over the past 3 seasons, he passes the eye test. So... If I'm running the show, it means either bump the big fella inside, or pay him nearly $2 million to ride the bench. Given the situation at RG in 2012 and beyond... I'd say it's certainly worth a shot.

All of that to say, I'm not sure what to think about Andre. But I'd be willing to buy stock in Anthony Collins.

If judged soley on performance I'd keep Andre, but I know that's not the way it works. His performance has to be coupled with his contract and then weighed against the contract that would be paid to an early round rookie selected under the terms of the new CBA.

Frankly, I've always felt the Bengals were wise to demand an out clause in Smith's contract, and as unpopular and embarrassing as his holdout turned out to be I think it was a price worth paying. In fact, I wish they had bought themselves the same protection when dealing with the following years 1st round pick.