Bengals @ Rams Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Looks like it may be Kellen Clemens time in St. Looie Sunday.

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7353871/sam-bradford-st-louis-rams-not-optimistic-playing-vs-cincinnati-bengals

If we lose to this 2 win team with a newly signed QB then not only are we not playoff worthy. We suck and it's time to pack in the season

/>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7353871/sam-bradford-st-louis-rams-not-optimistic-playing-vs-cincinnati-bengals

If we lose to this 2 win team with a newly signed QB then not only are we not playoff worthy. We suck and it's time to pack in the season

Thats what we said last week also LOL LOL, but now its more so!

FWIW we had Hobs on the CJ podcast tonight and I asked him who would be the Bengals' starting RT in 2013, Smith, Collins or someone not on the roster yet. His response was Smith. He thinks Collins is gone after this year and will be hard to replace and, obviously, that the Bengals extend Smith sometime before the end of next year.

Re Flesh-Z to RG, he thinks that ship has sailed. Smith hasn't had the time to learn the spot, even if they were willing to take it away from Bobbie before this year, so the RG Smith - RT Collins option is a nonstarter.

So what did derek say?

Oh yeah. David DeCastro, welcome to Cincinnati...

Well, yeah...we'd be 7-7 with two games left and no shot at the playoffs. Of course it would be time to pack in the season.

But more importantly, we'd have to figure out what all this means. Great first half of the season...BoSox-esqu late season collapse. Obviously the powers that be will have to look at the depth of this club. We can never compete with the Ravens or Packers of this league with this paper-thin team.

http://espn.go.com/n...cinnati-bengals

Well, yeah...we'd be 7-7 with two games left and no shot at the playoffs. Of course it would be time to pack in the season.

But more importantly, we'd have to figure out what all this means. Great first half of the season...BoSox-esqu late season collapse. Obviously the powers that be will have to look at the depth of this club. We can never compete with the Ravens or Packers of this league with this paper-thin team.

Yep, and speaking of depth, what are we going to do at the LB position? We've got two starters here on 1 year contracts.

Guess that's a topic for another thread, though.

I'd be willing to buy stock in Anthony Collins. I don't know how he grades out according to PFF... but from what I've seen over the past 3 seasons, he passes the eye test.

At least in this case, it appears my eyes don't lie. According to Kirk, PFF ranks Collins as the team's best O-Lineman.

This season Collins replaced the injured Andre Smith at right tackle, who left early against the Pittsburgh Steelers in week 13. Not only has he adequately replaced Smith at right tackle, Pro Football Focus grades Collins as the team’s best offensive linemen in cumulative grades combining Cincinnati’s most recent games.

Every time he's been asked to play for the last 4 years, he's been impressive. I know that guys who get limited snaps can appear better than they actually are (See Brandon Johnson), but I'm ready to give Collins a shot in 2012... even if it means giving him the Stacy Andrews treatment.

We've got two starters here on 1 year contracts.

Howard and Maualuga are both signed through 2012. Lawson is on a 1-year contract, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him return.

Hopefully Moch's migraines will stop holding him back and Muckelroy will fully recover. If those things happen, I'm pretty happy with the starters/depth of the LB corps.

Howard and Maualuga are both signed through 2012. Lawson is on a 1-year contract, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him return.

Hopefully Moch's migraines will stop holding him back and Muckelroy will fully recover. If those things happen, I'm pretty happy with the starters/depth of the LB corps.

Didn't realize that about Howard. One less thing to worry about this offseason is always nice.

What about Brandon Johnson? I know he hasn't gotten much playing time this year but I always felt like he made plays when he gets in the game. Also, next year will be Season 5 of the Keith Rivers Project. We'll see if he is still in the mix.

What about Brandon Johnson? I know he hasn't gotten much playing time this year but I always felt like he made plays when he gets in the game. Also, next year will be Season 6 of the Keith Rivers Project. We'll see if he is still in the mix.

I don't remember the timeline exactly, but I feel like they didn't bring Johnson back until Muckelroy got hurt.

Keith Rivers' contract is very reasonable, even as a back-up... so I'm guessing that Brandon Johnson will not be brought back. It's way too early to talk about next year's depth chart, but the LB roster seems relatively easy to predict - Howard/Rivers, Rey/Muckelroy, and Lawson/Moch is my guess, with Lawson being the only question mark.

I found this on Lance's site. Steven Jackson is closing in on his 7th 1000 yard season. I think we tried to get cute with that draft pick and missed an opportunity to get a work horse. I'd love to know the thought process or justification for drafting Perry instead of Jackson in 2004.

A great What If? in Bengals history

Steven Jackson was drafted 24th overall in the 2004 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams.

The Rams had traded picks with the Broncos and Bengals to get Jackson.

Denver traded Deltha O'Neal to Cincinnati for their 1st round pick.

St. Louis traded up with the Bengals's pick to select Jackson.

The Bengals chose Chris Perry to replace Corey Dillon, who was traded to the New England Patriots.

Jackson played at Oregon State and suffered a knee injury in is final season.

Perry played at Michigan. Perry was 5th all-time at Michigan with 3,696 career rushing yards and 39 TD's. He carried 51 times in a 2003 game vs Michigan State.

NFL career

Jackson:

112 games, 8,843 yards, 4.3 per carry, 52 TD

357 catches, 2,892 yards, 8 TD

Perry:

35 games, 606 yards, 3.4 per carry, 2 TD

83 catches, 474 yards, 2 TD

Perry appeared in just two games his rookie season in 2004.

He had 51 catches and averaged 4.6 yards on 61 rushes for the Bengals in 2005.

He fractured his leg in the 11th game of the 2006 season, ending his season.

He missed the 2007 season.

He attempted a comeback in 2008, playing in 13 games. He rushed for 249 yards and caught 20 passes. He was released after the season on April 27, 2009.

Read more: http://www.700wlw.co...l#ixzz1gibrpjk2

Hobson:

Doubtful: Leonard

Questionable: Smith (did not practice today, foot in boot), Pressley

Probable: Dunlap, Benson, Clements (all were limited today in practice)

On the Rams' side, Bradford and LT LeVoir both doubtful for Sunday. Chris Long (limited in practice today) and CB King (DNP) both questionable.

What is there to say about this game ??

Well, they should win this one without much thought, but that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme.

I know people are saying that Dalton and Green should be licking their chops when looking at the Rams secondary, but I could see a very large dose of the running game should we build a decent lead. I would love nothing more than to see Dalton with a 400 yard passing game and about 3 TD's, having Green being on the receiving end of most of that, but would happily settle for a dominating run game that controls things throughout.

Then again, I would happily settle for an ugly win and a happy meal...

I would happily settle for an ugly win and a happy meal...

Ok, but they take the toy out of the happy meal and you get the caned orange slices instead of fries

Well for what it's worth, even my 5 year old thinks those toys suck and McD's fries seem to have taken a hit lately.

Anyway, i'll still take that deal. I just want to see them play some disciplined football that leads to a win.

I don't care how the Rams have played so far. If the Bengals sleepwalk they will lose.

The defense needs to be madmen. Get effing pissed. What they do tomorrow will tell us quite a bit about how they are handling this rut their in.

I predict a win...but not by much: 24-23. Gonna take a Dalton drive and a Nugent FG to win at the end.

Then again, I would happily settle for an ugly win and a happy meal...

That's pretty much what you got but the weekend wasn't ugly after the game. It turned beautiful after the other games finished. We weren't the only team that made a suck team look better than it is. See Indy, Wash and KC