Roster Cutdown Begins

HoosierCat

Any chance we can convince them to cut down to 35 and add 11 players from the last cuts of Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Green Bay? I firmly believe there are 5, maybe 10, guys on the Bengals final roster that would not get a job offer from any other NFL team.

Per Hobs, looks like Bo Scaife may be headed to IR.

And the other third-rounder, tight end Chase Coffman, may end up on the Opening Day roster after spending the first part of last season on the practice squad. The fear is that Bo Scaife suffered a season-ending shoulder injury Thursday, which would open the receiving spot for Coffman behind starter Jermaine Gresham if the Bengals decide to stay pat with a guy that knows the system.

(Free agent rookie tight end Colin Cochart just may make it now because of his blocking and the fact the Bengals doubt he’d get through waivers to make the practice squad.)

Also sounds like McDonald and Pressley will stick.

I firmly believe there are 5, maybe 10, guys on the Bengals final roster that would not get a job offer from any other NFL team.

That would be true for a lot of teams in the NFL, they are on the bubble for a reason. But sometimes one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Also sounds like McDonald and Pressley will stick.

I don't usually go so soft, but I'm really hoping that Pressley makes the final cut this season. He's a great "hard work" story and despite being undersized, he works that FB spot.

It reminds me of a hard knocks scene where Rey is watching from the sidelines and says "little man is thumpin' out there." Keep thumpin Chris!

With getting Mays i knew that meant nelson was gone, but he could never stay healthy.

Im just happy Fred Bennett was relesed he was horrible couldnt cover anyone

Fred Bennett was god awful. Glad that he's gone.

Baby Palmer too. Now I guess we don't have to worry about Carson coming in September?

http://www.msnbc.msn...-cincinnati_oh/

Carson Lite would have gotten cut for sure if big brother decided to come back but it's a moot point now anyway. Maybe he can move in and drive car pool with his big bro.

Others cut include:

Fred Bennett, DB

Tom Nelson, S

LeRoy Vann, DB

Stephen Franklin, LB

Jamere Holland, WR

This is going to be one of the youngest teams in recent history. Get ready for a roller-coaster year full of oooh's and ahhh's, followed by lots of cursing and broken remote controls.

I wonder who on the team is going to be the emergency 3rd string QB?

I would say it's LeFevour based on BG's understanding of the offense.

Also, if someone knows, please clarify the 3rd QB rule. I thought I heard that they changed the rule on having to declare the thrid QB as inactive on gameday unless the first two got hurt. I may be wrong but all three are active and either of the backups can go in at any time. But I may have mis-heard.

Per Hobson, the Bengals are only going to keep two QB's on the roster more than likely and that LeFevour will be put on the practice squad which would make him ineligible to play on game day.

Any other players on the current roster have some QB experience?

I believe Caldwell does, but don't hold me to it.

Per Hobson, the Bengals are only going to keep two QB's on the roster more than likely and that LeFevour will be put on the practice squad which would make him ineligible to play on game day.

Any other players on the current roster have some QB experience?

I believe Caldwell does, but don't hold me to it.

Oh Jesus. If we find ourselves with Caldwell taking snaps, we are in deep s**t.

With getting Mays i knew that meant nelson was gone, but he could never stay healthy.

Baby Palmer too. Now I guess we don't have to worry about Carson coming in September?

So I wasn't the only one who noticed that? These cuts were easy. These players either were God awful or we never even saw them play. I hadn't heard of a few of those guys

So I wasn't the only one who noticed that? These cuts were easy. These players either were God awful or we never even saw them play. I hadn't heard of a few of those guys

The ONLY reason Jordan was on the team was his big brother was the starting QB, and Carson called in a card for his signing. Sort of the same thing he did with Owens. Once Carson turned in his man card and quit, Jordan was doomed.

The little bit that he played in his career showed that he was not worthy of a roster spot to be quite honest.

I don't have a problem with the roster purge since the end of last year. I'd rather have some hungry guys than the the mess we had last year.

Also, if someone knows, please clarify the 3rd QB rule. I thought I heard that they changed the rule on having to declare the thrid QB as inactive on gameday unless the first two got hurt. I may be wrong but all three are active and either of the backups can go in at any time. But I may have mis-heard.

To answer my own question, here's this quote from Coach Lewis from the other day.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated after practice that the new rule that gives teams 46 active players on game day and does away with the 45 plus the third quarterback in case of emergency should make more teams keep just two quarterbacks.

"The advantage is you're keeping another position player that gives you more value throughout the season. You may have an injured spot and you're enabled to keep a guy who can fill that void," Lewis said. " The third QB research shows there's not much benefit. Since the rule has changed with the straight 46 you know you're going to benefit with the extra position.

"Now that the third QB doesn't become your 46th guy automatically," he said, "you'll see less teams keep a third QB. It could be an extra linebacker, extra defensive back, extra offensive skill guy who can help one of your guys who is more of a special teamer than a guy who is not."

In the past, Lewis said the 46th player was wide receiver Jerome Simpson. But he had to be inactive most of the time because of injury concerns.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Saturday-update-2-QBs-look-as--Jordan-Palmer-cut-Dunlap-Sims-grinding/d6bde312-dcb7-4c7b-81c8-2c85273fedf5

To answer my own question, here's this quote from Coach Lewis from the other day.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated after practice that the new rule that gives teams 46 active players on game day and does away with the 45 plus the third quarterback in case of emergency should make more teams keep just two quarterbacks.

"The advantage is you're keeping another position player that gives you more value throughout the season. You may have an injured spot and you're enabled to keep a guy who can fill that void," Lewis said. " The third QB research shows there's not much benefit. Since the rule has changed with the straight 46 you know you're going to benefit with the extra position.

"Now that the third QB doesn't become your 46th guy automatically," he said, "you'll see less teams keep a third QB. It could be an extra linebacker, extra defensive back, extra offensive skill guy who can help one of your guys who is more of a special teamer than a guy who is not."

In the past, Lewis said the 46th player was wide receiver Jerome Simpson. But he had to be inactive most of the time because of injury concerns.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Saturday-update-2-QBs-look-as--Jordan-Palmer-cut-Dunlap-Sims-grinding/d6bde312-dcb7-4c7b-81c8-2c85273fedf5

Ok so if Dalton and Gradkowski get hurt, who on the roster can step in and play QB? I would assume it is going to be a skill position guy like maybe Quan Cosby?

No deeper than if it were Jordan or LeFevour.

Caldwell did play QB in high school. From wiki:

He attended Tampa's Jefferson High School, where he played quarterback and also lined up at receiver and returned punts for the Jefferson Dragons high school football team. His senior year, he moved from wide receiver to starting quarterback, and passed and rushed for over 2,220 yards and thirty-eight touchdowns while leading the Dragons to a Florida Class 4A state championship.

No deeper than if it were Jordan or LeFevour.

Caldwell did play QB in high school. From wiki:

He attended Tampa's Jefferson High School, where he played quarterback and also lined up at receiver and returned punts for the Jefferson Dragons high school football team. His senior year, he moved from wide receiver to starting quarterback, and passed and rushed for over 2,220 yards and thirty-eight touchdowns while leading the Dragons to a Florida Class 4A state championship.

Looks like they better practice running the option or the wildcat for emergency purposes! :lmao:

By the way the team looks right now with injuries, the extra position player will either be a LB or DB. I guess Marvin really feels being able to carry that one extra guy on game day out weighs the chance the first and second string might get hurt.

As with most NFL teams, if they need to play the third QB in a game, there is not much hope of winning anyway.

Many teams have used only 2 QB's recently, but I can see the Bengals being the first team to lose both QB's in the first quarter and have to limp through almost a whole game with no passing game. They are leaders in areas like that.

Even so I have wanted them to keep only 2 QB's for a few years now, seems every preseason they have 1 position that has numerous injuries and could benefit from an extra player.

LeFevour will make a nice PS player and does have some skills to build on.