Roster Cutdown Begins

HoosierCat

Far out, if at any point in time this season we need a 3rd string QB we are screwed, screwed silly. No way do I think we should waste the roster spot on a 3rd qb if we have a vet behind Dalton. Besides, it's not like at any point we have done anything with any project 3rd string qb. Not that many teams ever have. Worse case scenario Dalton and The Other Guy get hurt in the same game. Hand offs all day, and we'd do that with a 3rd string scrub. Sign a washed up never was qb first thing Monday. But why the hell bother with a roster spot.

Screwed how? We are close to screwed as it is. If we need a second string QB we are officially screwed. If we need a 3rd string QB...well...it's time to just sit back and laugh.

Far out, if at any point in time this season we need a 3rd string QB we are screwed, screwed silly. No way do I think we should waste the roster spot on a 3rd qb if we have a vet behind Dalton. Besides, it's not like at any point we have done anything with any project 3rd string qb. Not that many teams ever have. Worse case scenario Dalton and The Other Guy get hurt in the same game. Hand offs all day, and we'd do that with a 3rd string scrub. Sign a washed up never was qb first thing Monday. But why the hell bother with a roster spot.

Screwed how? We are close to screwed as it is. If we need a second string QB we are officially screwed. If we need a 3rd string QB...well...it's time to just sit back and laugh.

Gradkowski isn't as bad as everyone believes. Hasn't he burned the Bengals both times they played? He is a serviceable QB who has been on some pretty bad teams in Tampa and Oakland. I think with the young talent the Bengals have, along with a good O-line, he could win some games and surprise some people.

Besides, it's not like at any point we have done anything with any project 3rd string qb. Not that many teams ever have.

Well, what's the success rate of other practice squad players who play other positions? Or for that matter how about the overall success rate of all bottom of the roster players?

Why is it suddenly acceptable to embrace project players who play other positions, but not QB? And since when is a teams weakness at a position a valid excuse for doing less, not more?

Frankly, I've never claimed my interest in a 3rd QB had anything to do with getting through a game or two should Dalton and Gradkowski be lost. Rather I'm talking about finding a suitable long-term QB project who might be able to step into the #1 or #2 role in a year or two.

If you don't think that's needed, fine. Or maybe you think Zac Robinson fits the profile already. But c'mon now....

We're still talking about the 53rd spot on the roster, right?

FWIW the guys at GoBengals are having this very same debate. Of interest, one of the posters there claims there are currently 13 teams with only 2 QB's on their 53 man roster. If accurate that's not only proof of a growing NFL trend, but also....proof that a majority of NFL teams are still doing business in the same way they always have.

So maybe, if we all agree, we might be able to get past this crap rant that claims a 3rd QB on the roster is no longer an option that can considered.

Ehh?

FWIW the guys at GoBengals are having this very same debate. Of interest, one of the posters there claims there are currently 13 teams with only 2 QB's on their 53 man roster. If accurate that's not only proof of a growing NFL trend, but also....proof that a majority of NFL teams are still doing business in the same way they always have.

So maybe, if we all agree, we might be able to get past this crap rant that claims a 3rd QB on the roster is no longer an option that can considered.

Ehh?

Honestly I think the whole lack of a 3rd QB on the active roster is due to QB's being protected so much, and how unlikely it is that both your first and second string QBs get injured in the same game. I pointed this out earlier when I mentioned the fact that Brett Favre and Manning own the longest streaks of games played in the history of the NFL. It is no coincidence that they are both QBs. Even if your first string gets an injury and is out for the season, bringing in a new guy to be second string isn't going to be much of a difference than if the guy is already on the roster. How many snaps does a third string QB get in practice anyway? None. So there isn't really an advantage to a guy that has already been here to make it worthwhile of taking a roster/practice squad spot.

Honestly I think the whole lack of a 3rd QB on the active roster is due to QB's being protected so much, and how unlikely it is that both your first and second string QBs get injured in the same game.

You're arguing with yourself.

I've said repeatedly that my interest in a 3rd QB has little or nothing to do with getting through a football game when the starter and backup are injured. Rather, it's about finding and developing a QB who might develope into a potential starter or primary backup in a year or two. A guy who can push Gradkowski. A guy who could compete with Dalton in a year or two IF the latter were still struggling. Or if you prefer, a way to hedge the bet just placed.

I've said repeatedly that my interest in a 3rd QB has little or nothing to do with getting through a football game when the starter and backup are injured. Rather, it's about finding and developing a QB who might develope into a potential starter or primary backup in a year or two. A guy who can push Gradkowski. A guy who could compete with Dalton in a year or two IF the latter were still struggling. Or if you prefer, a way to hedge the bet just placed.

I must say, I'm converted. Your thinking is far out of Mike Brown's "box" thus I don't see this happening here but I see it as very innovative given the recent trend and the Bengals' situation.

OK, so I've come to your side on this one, I like the idea and the thinking behind it, but don't expect this to happen very often... :D

Honestly I think the whole lack of a 3rd QB on the active roster is due to QB's being protected so much, and how unlikely it is that both your first and second string QBs get injured in the same game.

You're arguing with yourself.

When I look back on recent history where teams have done what you said, one thing usually happens, either the backup that has been primed to play leaves for an unaffordable backups salary, or the starter gets traded or leaves in free agency. It never seems like you can groom a quality backup in the NFL. Off the top of my head I can name Brett Favre that went from Atlanta to Green Bay, Matt Hasselback went from Green Bay to Seattle, Matt Cassel (who always played backup) left New England to KC...and the list goes on. The guys that stick around and play backup year after year are the Charlie Batches, Chris Redmans, and John Kitnas.

The NFL really doesn't have a minor league system where you can develop your teams talent without fear of them leaving. That's what makes the draft so important in the NFL as compared to some of the other leagues, with high draft picks you need to hit a homerun almost every time or risk setting back the future of the franchise a couple of years. Unfortunately due to injures, off the field problems, and poor decisions, the Bengals seem stuck in a rut that will take the help of some late round pick gems to get them out of. The future is looking brighter, so bright I might need sunglasses. :sure: