How classic would this be?

kingwilly

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I haven't a clue why Mays has struggled with the 49ers but anyone who watched him play against the Falcons last year caught a glimpse of Mays repeatedly doing what so many of his critics claim he can't do. So the question that needs answering is why can't he do it consistently.

I certainly don't have insider information... but I have a guess. He's David Boston.

Football always came second to his first love: his body. Taylor Mays seems like he's in love with the weight room more than improving his game.

I could be wrong.

I certainly don't have insider information... but I have a guess. He's David Boston.

Boston's career cratered because he was on steroids. He was never the same after because 1) he probably stopped juicing after getting caught, and 2) his body never fixed correctly after the ruptured tendon. Don't know if it's fair to put Mays in that boat.

At a minimum, at least he can step up and make gains with his legs, rather than be Raggety Andy'd like Dalton was by Suh. If Pryor can add that extra threat, then the O gains the advantage of a further mismatch, since a D would need to spy him with someone, meaning a greater ratio of man coverage, the likes of which Green, Gresham and Shipley can routinely humiliate. Add to that, giving Benson the luxury of having a safety need to maintain leverage (rather than cheat down) for fear of Pryor keeping it or simply play action draws on audible.

I am actually talking myself into this pretty easily.

Do some of us have no memory at all? If we needed such a player, we'd still have Reggie McNeal

Rosters are tight as it is. It's not going to worth cutting that last player to make room for TP

Boston's career cratered because he was on steroids. He was never the same after because 1) he probably stopped juicing after getting caught, and 2) his body never fixed correctly after the ruptured tendon. Don't know if it's fair to put Mays in that boat.

Sure, but his coaches told him several times that he was bulking up too much which kept him from being able to run crisp routes. He was too big and bulky to be a good WR, despite having a good skill set and incredible athletic skills.

Boston didn't listen to his coaches though. He kept bulking up more and more. He was more interested in looking sexy with his shirt off.

Is it fair to throw Mays in that category? Perhaps not... but he does seem to be a least slightly preoccupied with looking like a body-builder instead of a football player.

Pryor is no Cam Newton. Is he athletically gifted ?? Sure, but he's immature, makes poor decisions on and off the field

Wait, I thought you were making a case that he *isn't* Cam Newton.

Exactly.

In fact, now that I add it up, I am actually warming to the idea of making a move for Pryor. Maybe an r4 supp draft pick.

Guy can do several things, whats the issue. All they really want him to do is get into the organization, learn how to be a pro, and learn a west coast system loaded on O with Green, Ship, Benson, Gresham, Simpson, Scaife and Caldwell. What a bummer.

At a minimum, at least he can step up and make gains with his legs, rather than be Raggety Andy'd like Dalton was by Suh. If Pryor can add that extra threat, then the O gains the advantage of a further mismatch, since a D would need to spy him with someone, meaning a greater ratio of man coverage, the likes of which Green, Gresham and Shipley can routinely humiliate. Add to that, giving Benson the luxury of having a safety need to maintain leverage (rather than cheat down) for fear of Pryor keeping it or simply play action draws on audible.

I'm not sure I quite follow your "exactly". I said he made poor decisions on and off the field and Newton, while inexperienced, hasn't made poor decisions off the field. Now if you want to continue the rant about how some athletically gifted "football player" that no one knows where he would play at the next level is worth a late round flyer, then sure. If you are claiming we should take him as a QB to challenge Dalton, I think that's a mistake beyond mistakes.

Like Dalton was by Suh ?? Really ?? So the o-line wasn't a turnstile on that play that had him in Dalton's face before his second dropback step ?? Blame that on Dalton all you want, but you citing that example is EXACTLY the reason we don't need Pryor from the standpoint that every little thing Dalton does wrong will result in an instant call for his head. You know, as opposed to letting him develop. Oh that's right, Pryor is an instant starting QB at the next level that needs no development.

Listen to ANY pro, scout, development guy, coach or whatever and all you hear is how Pryor is going to need a lot of time and how none of them know how he is going to be used. I am a huge Buckeyes fan and can honestly say that there wasn't to many players I disliked more than Pryor. He has a sense of entitlement, makes those poor decisions, and is one of the most immature players i've seen at that level. This Bengals team doesn't need that.

Pryor is no Cam Newton. Is he athletically gifted ?? Sure, but he's immature, makes poor decisions on and off the field

Wait, I thought you were making a case that he *isn't* Cam Newton.

Exactly.

In fact, now that I add it up, I am actually warming to the idea of making a move for Pryor. Maybe an r4 supp draft pick.

Guy can do several things, whats the issue. All they really want him to do is get into the organization, learn how to be a pro, and learn a west coast system loaded on O with Green, Ship, Benson, Gresham, Simpson, Scaife and Caldwell. What a bummer.

I'm not sure I quite follow your "exactly". I said he made poor decisions on and off the field and Newton, while inexperienced, hasn't made poor decisions off the field. Now if you want to continue the rant about how some athletically gifted "football player" that no one knows where he would play at the next level is worth a late round flyer, then sure. If you are claiming we should take him as a QB to challenge Dalton, I think that's a mistake beyond mistakes.

Like Dalton was by Suh ?? Really ?? So the o-line wasn't a turnstile on that play that had him in Dalton's face before his second dropback step ?? Blame that on Dalton all you want, but you citing that example is EXACTLY the reason we don't need Pryor from the standpoint that every little thing Dalton does wrong will result in an instant call for his head. You know, as opposed to letting him develop. Oh that's right, Pryor is an instant starting QB at the next level that needs no development.

Listen to ANY pro, scout, development guy, coach or whatever and all you hear is how Pryor is going to need a lot of time and how none of them know how he is going to be used. I am a huge Buckeyes fan and can honestly say that there wasn't to many players I disliked more than Pryor. He has a sense of entitlement, makes those poor decisions, and is one of the most immature players i've seen at that level. This Bengals team doesn't need that.

Army, don't mistake what I'm saying. Dalton had no chance on the play when Suh got to him because of the line. I get that. If it had been Pryor, he'd have been sacked, too. It is in how he was sacked. My point is that Dalton is 6'2 - 210. Pryor is 6'6 and about 250. 4 inches and 40 pounds is a bi9 deal when you are trying to body slam someone. Pryor is about the size of Big Ben, and you don't see Ben getting planted like Dalton was.

I do not believe that anyone would argue that Dalton is as mobile Pryor. You know I'm not implying that Pryor could come in and start (he could not), nor am I saying that Dalton should not be given the chance to develop (he should). Those are your words, not mine.

From a player development standpoint, the question should be would the Bengals be better served by drafting and trying to develop Pryor, alongside Dalton (since he is a project too), rather than spending any more time on Jordan Palmer or Dan Lefevour. To me, Jordan Palmer is a very sucky back-up and that is all he will be. If there is a roster spot to be had for Pryor, it comes when they dump Jordan. At the worst, they burn a mid-round pick, and have someone who has a higher ceiling than Jordan or Lefevour, would could possibly step in and inject some excitement, should Dalton get hurt or struggle so mightily that the season is blown.

As for Pryor being an azz, I will take your word for it. The Bengals have the antidote now in AJ Green and the guys who really work hard, like Benson, Gresham, and players like Leon Hall. I am not sure there would be much headroom for an entitled diva to come in and suck the energy out of the locker room.

As it is, my opinion will be further tempered by how much progress I see from Dalton against the Jets tomorrow.

terrelle_pryor_wallpaper2_1024x768.jpg

Do some of us have no memory at all? If we needed such a player, we'd still have Reggie McNeal

Rosters are tight as it is. It's not going to worth cutting that last player to make room for TP

Reggie McNeal was 6'1 and 200lbs. They are no where even near the same kind of player. If anything, Pryor is closest to Cam Newton or Vince Young. But Faster. Just read he ran a 4.36 40 at the Pro Day.

The guy you cut to make room for Pryor is Jordan Palmer. Run-pee-cut.

First let me say, I think its unanimous that Palmer should cut. And im in the group that sees no harm in giving Taylor Mays a shot on what I think is going to be a long season.

Now on to the point of what his thread is actually about. I wouldnt give up a 7th for Pryor. From what I have seen of him I have no use for him. I would rather keep Dan LeFevour as our 3rd qb. Im not an Ohio State fan or hater, I could care less about them. And as much as I have seen Pryor play, all I keep thinking is no way will he ever be an nfl qb. Is it possible that Im wrong? Maybe, it has happened before, although that was when I thought I was wrong. Look at whats happening in Denver, everyone is shouting for Tebow and Orton is being booed. Anyone looking on that outside of the team will tell you Orton is clearly the superior player. If you add Pryor to this team, in an area where OSU fans run rampant, you are fooling yourself if you dont believe from Daltons first mistake there will be a cry to get him into the game. This team does not need that risk, that distraction, and those issues from a late round back up qb who is already suspended.

ok, i watched pryor grow from a athlete to a qb in his 3 season at osu under tressel. the main thing is pryor got better every year at qb. he went from not being able to read a defense to going through his progression's at qb and finding the open w/r. athletically he is second to no one the kid is a beast and very fast in the open field. arm strength is not a problem either he can flick the ball 60 yards easily of his back foot.

now pryor's problems are he in not very accurate in the short passing games, i know it seems weird but he was better at throwing the ball down field. also he is a immature kid who needs to grow up. the bs he pulled at osu was unreal. i mean he got in trouble and was still driving cars he could not afford after the fact of the ncaa investigation. as for pryor acts likes he is entitled lol. what young guy who is told on a daily basis on how great his is is not going to act that way? cam seems to me, to be in that same boat.

then some say well cam is better how? the difference between cam and pryor was the offense they played in. cam was a one read and run. pryor was actually trying to be a qb and not just running when nothing was there. also pryor had more talent at the skill positions than cam so he did not have to do it all on his own. tressel also made sure pryor would not have to do it all. go back and watch last season how tressel changed his offense because at the beginning pryor was a 1 man show.

now would i want pryor on this team no. the one thing you can bet on in the nfl if you are not a pocket passer you will not win period. of course there is always a exception to the rule see vick. to me pryor and newton are nothing more than another vince young. their athletic ability may buy them a couple seasons after that i don't see either one being on a nfl roster in 5 years. both extremely gifted athletes but piss poor when it come to being a nfl quality passer.

i am also willing to bet that andy dalton turn out to be a better nfl qb that both cam and pryor. mark it down andy will have a better season statically than cam. when pryor does get to play andy will be a better nfl qb than him also.

Army, don't mistake what I'm saying. Dalton had no chance on the play when Suh got to him because of the line. I get that. If it had been Pryor, he'd have been sacked, too. It is in how he was sacked. My point is that Dalton is 6'2 - 210. Pryor is 6'6 and about 250. 4 inches and 40 pounds is a bi9 deal when you are trying to body slam someone. Pryor is about the size of Big Ben, and you don't see Ben getting planted like Dalton was.

I do not believe that anyone would argue that Dalton is as mobile Pryor. You know I'm not implying that Pryor could come in and start (he could not), nor am I saying that Dalton should not be given the chance to develop (he should). Those are your words, not mine.

From a player development standpoint, the question should be would the Bengals be better served by drafting and trying to develop Pryor, alongside Dalton (since he is a project too), rather than spending any more time on Jordan Palmer or Dan Lefevour. To me, Jordan Palmer is a very sucky back-up and that is all he will be. If there is a roster spot to be had for Pryor, it comes when they dump Jordan. At the worst, they burn a mid-round pick, and have someone who has a higher ceiling than Jordan or Lefevour, would could possibly step in and inject some excitement, should Dalton get hurt or struggle so mightily that the season is blown.

As for Pryor being an azz, I will take your word for it. The Bengals have the antidote now in AJ Green and the guys who really work hard, like Benson, Gresham, and players like Leon Hall. I am not sure there would be much headroom for an entitled diva to come in and suck the energy out of the locker room.

As it is, my opinion will be further tempered by how much progress I see from Dalton against the Jets tomorrow.

Hey KW, my post kind of came off dickish and it wasn't meant that way, so my bad.

That being said, I certainly get what you mean when you look at Pryor's size. That has always been one of the things I like about him and what I would absolutely love to see in our own QB. Almost ANY other time, I would say why not, but with us drafting Dalton I just think it would be bad timing. I know people would say he would just be taking the 3rd QB spot, but it's my belief when Dalton doesn't progress as fast as people would like (see people calling for a 10 win season and playoffs this year) they would instantly become the biggest Pryor fans around and wanting to see what he could do.

Don't get me wrong, there is a morbid curiousity to see if he could be the next best thing, but the last time I had a morbid curiousity, it led to T.O. in stripes. I tend to lean away from those thoughts now. They just never pan out. If we were to be the team to grab up Pryor, I wouldn't bitch and moan for it and would hope that the Bengals could bring both guys along and work the situation to thier advantage. I will hope for the best every day. I don't have faith the Bengals could pull that off either.

Oh well, I guess we will see on Monday huh ??

I'm still thinking the Raiders.

The guy you cut to make room for Pryor is Jordan Palmer. Run-pee-cut.

Run Pee is gone regardless. You still need to cut another QB if TP is brought in and looking at this team, the last thing they need is another project. They've got enough of those as it is

I'm no fan of TP as a QB. I'll be mighty pissed if my pro team drafts him

As soon as one offical had Pryor at a sub 4.4 forty, it was game on for Al Davis.

That being said, Pryor's time was very impressive.

Hope old Hue Jackson can get something out of him out there on the coast.

I fugured he would go there, but can't say it was the best place for him to go.

Army, you called it. Pryor is a Raider.

Since they have bupkis at WR and TE, I bet he is a Brad Smith-type player once he serves his suspension. Line him up in a split and have him run out routes. 10-12 yards real fast, make a cut and catch the ball. easy enough, and will be tough to defend given his size and speed.

For what it's worth, the Raiders say they are keeping him at QB. I suppose they will use him in other packages, but it doesn't surprise me to hear they are thinking QB all the way. Why ?? I can give you four reasons. #1. Jason Campbell, #2. Kyle Boller, #3. Trent Edwards, #4. No WR which will allow him to pull it down and run.

Sending this to the NFL forum.