Nice to see leadership

walzav29

I really like Peko and Whitworth. I hope management realizes what will be gained by getting rid of Chad. He doesn't play by the rules that Whit and Peko are trying to establish. This will be a much better team once he's officially gone.

Im happy that guys actully want to get toghter and practice, it shows something. I too hope Chad is gone, the team will be much better without him, at least in the locker room! This is what its like to be a team, getting toghter when times are tough and finding away to practice to get ready for the season.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110608/SPT02/106090334/Impressive-turnout-lifts-Bengals-spirit?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

http://news.cincinna...06080805&Ref=PH

Article and photo gallery from yesterday's proceedings at Nippert Stadium.

BTW, has anyone asked Jordan WTF is up with his brother? I'd be curious to hear his answer.

BTW, has anyone asked Jordan WTF is up with his brother? I'd be curious to hear his answer.

Yeah, the local press asked him just this week. Jordan called Carson an ex-teammate and repeatedly refused further comment.

FWIW, I read on another board about Carson's agent claiming his client was working out on his own, was probably in the best shape of his life, and had already lost 20 pounds. If true, and I can't confirm it is, now that he's threatened to retire Carson Palmer has finally lost his doughy 2nd chin.

It's almost enough to make me wonder aloud why Palmer couldn't be bothered to get in that kind of shape while playing here.

Yeah, the local press asked him just this week. Jordan called Carson an ex-teammate and repeatedly refused further comment.

FWIW, I read on another board about Carson's agent claiming his client was working out on his own, was probably in the best shape of his life, and had already lost 20 pounds. If true, and I can't confirm it is, now that he's threatened to retire Carson Palmer has finally lost his doughy 2nd chin.

It's almost enough to make me wonder aloud why Palmer couldn't be bothered to get in that kind of shape while playing here.

Being a stay-at-home soccer mom in SoCal requires a certain level of preparation, dedication and effort when competing with the other ladies on looks. That isn't the case so much around here with the Irish-German or Appalachian stock of so many of the female gender around here. Carson will have a lot of competition from the other ladies in the carpool.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15212899/palmer-aside-workout-turnouts-indicate-bengals-are-a-tight-pack

A taste (go linky for more)

This was far from a Wednesday practice at Paul Brown Stadium. But it probably means more when viewing through the long-term lens of this franchise in transition.

Not only did players show enough commitment to come to Cincinnati voluntarily, they joined the group of about 10 working out together nearly every day at Ignition. Rey Maualuga, Jerome Simpson, Bobbie Williams, Robert Geathers, Peko and Jones are among the core group. It's one growing larger seemingly by the day.

"Me and Rey and Jerome were the first ones to come up here seven or eight weeks ago, we started spreading the word and more people came," Peko said. "Now it's getting bigger and bigger. It's really important to get guys and keep it together. It's a team, it is not a one-man sport. You got to keep that camaraderie and build that chemistry."

A common misunderstanding about the demise of the 2010 Bengals was that the locker room fell apart and caused the drop from first to worst in the AFC North. Coaches and players alike swore by the central leadership and that showed in the late-season surge this team is basing its 2011 hopes on.

The impressive turnout for this week proved the point once more. Evan Brandon Johnson showed up, despite possibly being an unrestricted free agent depending on what CBA rules the league operates under. The dedication didn't elude Marshall, who stood in the middle of Tuesday's workout running drills and facilitating the program -- just as he has done since March with the smaller group of players.

"These NFL players, they don't have to be here," Marshall said. "This is not a mandatory situation. The feeling I get is they want to be here. They want to be as one unit and training together and running together and lifting together. At the end of the day the NFL is such a business, right now, you are seeing this is for the love of the game, the love of teammates."

Temporarily, they are changing the conversation -- from an off-the-field past, from Carson Palmer, from the lockout. They are returning the focus to the structure of football amid a landscape lacking any of it.

"You got a lot of teams who are at home or on the beach, not really worrying about football," Jones said. "As you see, we are missing one or two guys and everybody else is here. I think it's a great time to get the guys back in the city of Cincinnati, to let them know we are here and this is what we love to do."

/>http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/story/15212899/palmer-aside-workout-turnouts-indicate-bengals-are-a-tight-pack

A taste (go linky for more)

This was far from a Wednesday practice at Paul Brown Stadium. But it probably means more when viewing through the long-term lens of this franchise in transition.

Not only did players show enough commitment to come to Cincinnati voluntarily, they joined the group of about 10 working out together nearly every day at Ignition. Rey Maualuga, Jerome Simpson, Bobbie Williams, Robert Geathers, Peko and Jones are among the core group. It's one growing larger seemingly by the day.

"Me and Rey and Jerome were the first ones to come up here seven or eight weeks ago, we started spreading the word and more people came," Peko said. "Now it's getting bigger and bigger. It's really important to get guys and keep it together. It's a team, it is not a one-man sport. You got to keep that camaraderie and build that chemistry."

A common misunderstanding about the demise of the 2010 Bengals was that the locker room fell apart and caused the drop from first to worst in the AFC North. Coaches and players alike swore by the central leadership and that showed in the late-season surge this team is basing its 2011 hopes on.

The impressive turnout for this week proved the point once more. Evan Brandon Johnson showed up, despite possibly being an unrestricted free agent depending on what CBA rules the league operates under. The dedication didn't elude Marshall, who stood in the middle of Tuesday's workout running drills and facilitating the program -- just as he has done since March with the smaller group of players.

"These NFL players, they don't have to be here," Marshall said. "This is not a mandatory situation. The feeling I get is they want to be here. They want to be as one unit and training together and running together and lifting together. At the end of the day the NFL is such a business, right now, you are seeing this is for the love of the game, the love of teammates."

Temporarily, they are changing the conversation -- from an off-the-field past, from Carson Palmer, from the lockout. They are returning the focus to the structure of football amid a landscape lacking any of it.

"You got a lot of teams who are at home or on the beach, not really worrying about football," Jones said. "As you see, we are missing one or two guys and everybody else is here. I think it's a great time to get the guys back in the city of Cincinnati, to let them know we are here and this is what we love to do."

Paul Daugherty isn't going to like this.

While his teammates were sweating it up at UC, Chad was attending the KC soccer game.

/>http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/10/kick-sporting-kc-open-stadium-rave-reviews-pk-controversy

f**k Chad

Where is Caldwell? _He_ needs to be here

Yea i wish Caldwell was there also, but sounds like maybe the rookie 6th rounder might be pretty good in this system guess will see.

Screw Chad im sick of everything he stands for now a days, get rid of him im sick of seeing him around. Dont let him come in a screw up the locker room, and the leadership that seems to be going on.

While his teammates were sweating it up at UC, Chad was attending the KC soccer game.

http://www.mlssoccer...-pk-controversy

f**k Chad

Where is Caldwell? _He_ needs to be here

Yea i wish Caldwell was there also, but sounds like maybe the rookie 6th rounder might be pretty good in this system guess will see.

Screw Chad im sick of everything he stands for now a days, get rid of him im sick of seeing him around. Dont let him come in a screw up the locker room, and the leadership that seems to be going on.

If he is still somehow part of this team after the lockout, I hope a couple of the veterans (Peko, Whit) blow his ass up and put him in his place. Carson's gone and Chad is done. He has nothing to say and they should threaten him if he f**k's up the chemistry, becomes his usual distraction self or does not want to be part of what's going on now.

I figured I would just put this in here as opposed to a new thread, but did anyone happen to catch NFL Networks 32 in 32 report of the Bengals last night ??

They had Dhani on there and was probably the worst job i've seen done on a team to this point. They talked about Carson not being back and Jordan calling him a former teammate. Dhani went on to say the Bengals have to being in a vet QB because, "Jordan isn't the answer". He didn't say Dalton was or wasn't, but felt vet leadership was needed. McNabb was brought up as an option.

He made the comment that the team had players going in their own direction last season and they didn't play as a team as they did in 2009 and once the losses kept coming, it just got worse. I thought it was funny because Sapp asked Dhani, "So you mean YOU and the other leadership of the team couldn't reel all of that in?" and Dhani just looked dumbfounded. He gave some halfhearted excuse and then went on to say how Chad should be back with the team. Unf*ckingbelievable...

It's exactly that line of thinking that baffles me about this team and then they wonder why they can't pull it together when things turn rough.

There's two words for that: WEAK and SOFT.

• 4 weeks later...

Re the concern about the wide receivers, we had Joe Reedy on our podcast at cincyjungle tonight, and I asked him about his impressions of the the team in workouts, since he had actually been able to go and see them. One thing he mentioned that jumped out at me was about how the WRs were coming out of the huddle differently. In this year's workouts, they came out confidently, versus the Brat-led offense in which they often came out looking at Carson and indecisive on where they should be. So it seems there's a comfort level with the new O, at least in these very early going stages, which I think can only be good news, and which makes Caldwell's absence less worrisome.