6th Round: Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford

ArmyBengal

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a fan, practice squad player at best. By far the worst pick of the draft. Just dont like this pick at all.

Ditto - very happy with all picks until this one, but if I have to bitch, I'm glad it's in the 6th round!

Well, like I said in the draft pick thread prior to the draft, we were going to take 2 WR's.

This is the first pick however that I disagree with.

There are about 7-8 other WR's that not only presented better value, but more upside and potential.

Heck there were some lesser rated WR's that presented more upside and potential.

Don't like this one.

Oh well.

Actually, if you subtract TO and 85 and add Green the Bengals had just 6 WRs. Whalen's a good possession guy and injuries happen. If he ends up on the PS, well, just about every 6th rounder does.

I get that point and why I thought they would draft 2 WR's, but my argument is WHO they chose to take.

Sanzenbacher, Tolliver, Lockette, Binns

All of those guys would have made me like the pick more.

Again, oh well.

Wasted Pick, he won't make the Team.

I REALLY LIKE what the Bengals did in Rounds 4 and 5, and think they should have grabbed the guy who went right after Whalen to Minnesota, OT Demarcus Love (Arkansas) would he be a good Tackle? maybe, maybe not, but I think he woukld make a good Guard. 6'4" 315lbs

This is the obligatory late round WR throwaway pick.

Freddie Brown and Dez Briscoe are laughing at us.

Indeed. I was gonna go with Bennie Brazell, Mario Urrutia, and Reggie McNeal

I freakin

H A T E

this godd@mn pick

Hate is actually far too mild a word.

Its like we picked a name out of a hat with nothing but mediocre wide receivers in it

God help us, Mike Brown has woken up and started making picks, folks.........

Should have taken a second safety, power RB, or Kai Forbath here

Chad Reuter's writeup on Whalen...

Overview

Few walk-ons ever manage to become their team's leading receiver in consecutive seasons, but that's exactly what Whalen did as a sophomore and junior, totaling 1,434 yards and five touchdowns over that span. Whalen was wooed by former head coach Jim Harbaugh, choosing to attend Stanford without the promise of a scholarship, though that changed quickly.

As a freshman, he managed only one catch for 11 yards, but he played in all 12 games, carving out a niche as a tough, blue-collar receiver with no fear over the middle. He started seven games the following season, cementing his status as the team's top option before becoming a mainstay on the first team.

Whalen's senior year didn't go quite as planned, however, as he gave up the top spot on the stat sheet after missing the better part of four games with an elbow injury (41-439-2).

Still, Whalen has shown the type of work ethic and attention to detail that allow a former walk-on to become a team captain and a two-time Honorable Mention All-Pac 10 selection. His straight-line speed isn't ideal, but he's the type of player who won't back down from a challenge and possesses the drive to earn a roster spot, even if only as a sub-package guy with experience in a pro-style system.

Analysis

Strengths: Owns solid frame with more upper- and lower-body bulk than many receivers in the class. Tracks deep passes well and will fight for jump balls all over the field. Former walk-on who is a very coachable player. Works hard and gives full effort in the running and passing game. Flashes enough strength to control defenders as a blocker and uses long arms and solid base to lock on when stalk blocking. Reliable receiver who will work the middle of the field and sell out to make tough catches. Has the hands and wrist strength to secure the ball and hold on after contact even if exposed. Locates holes in zone coverage and settles in without drifting back to defenders. Sets up routes with head fake and shows good discipline when selling a corner on the wrong pattern. Will work back to the football and shield defenders with his body.

Weaknesses: Lacks the necessary second gear to consistently separate on vertical routes. Is not elusive after the catch and is not physical enough to break tackles and run over defenders. Struggles to eat up cushion out of his stance with a slow first step and lack of explosion. Not a gifted athlete and gets ahead of himself when stemming routes, causing him to lose balance when cutting. Falters and takes false steps when trying to slip press coverage and can be stymied early by aggressive corners. Allows defenders to redirect him at the line and lacks the burst to get back into position in a timely manner. Will lose focus at times and drop catchable passes. Looks to run before securing the ball and takes his eyes off the throw. Can allow ball into his body and lose possession on contact.

--Chad Reuter

/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1244509

This is the obligatory late round WR throwaway pick.

Freddie Brown and Dez Briscoe are laughing at us.

Indeed. I was gonna go with Bennie Brazell, Mario Urrutia, and Reggie McNeal

I freakin

H A T E

this godd@mn pick

Hate is actually far too mild a word.

Its like we picked a name out of a hat with nothing but mediocre wide receivers in it

God help us, Mike Brown has woken up and started making picks, folks.........][/b

Should have taken a second safety, power RB, or Kai Forbath here

Maybe that's what's going on. They've given Mikey his one let me get my late WR nod in exchange for having control over the rest of the draft.

A possession receiver who often drops catchable passes

G R E A T

We need this guy on the field like we need Mike Brown as the GM of this football team

The only thing keeping my spirits up at this point is the fact that Hair used my copyrighted "gimme a lineman" catchphrase in the pre-pick thread, and now owes me 50 bucks for the use of said phrase. I'm quite certain the checks in the mail, right Hair?

At some point, it does become silly. I have not read any comments in the thread yet, but, jeebus, isn't "possession receiver" kinda full up on this team?

There had to be an OL candidate worthy of that pick.

McDaniel was still on the board.

Zienba was still on the board.

Clay and Royster were still on the board.

Not to mention the 7-8 better WR's.

Yeah, i've moved from dislike to full blown HATE of this pick.

HATE HATE HATE

I would have liked the guy selected next by Minny OT Demarcus Love out of Arkansas. He could make a good Guard in the NFL.

The only thing keeping my spirits up at this point is the fact that Hair used my copyrighted "gimme a lineman" catchphrase in the pre-pick thread, and now owes me 50 bucks for the use of said phrase. I'm quite certain the checks in the mail, right Hair?

I'll happily pay you as soon as EVERYONE pays me for infringing upon my own protected catchphrase...."Churn&Burn"