6th Round: Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford

ArmyBengal

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well i have been happy with this draft so far, so im not even going to look at this pick. Ill just skip this guy and go back to the guys they choose before which have been awsome. This pick will not bring me down on this draft

Agreed! I didn't like the pick, but u must figure there is something there that Gruden likes, but even if he does nothing....Agreed! All other picks before him have been very nice, it's a crapshoot now anyway. With that said, I really would like to see a RB with one of our last picks...Graig Cooper please.

McDaniel was still on the board.

Zienba was still on the board.

Clay and Royster were still on the board.

Not to mention the 7-8 better WR's.

Yeah, i've moved from dislike to full blown HATE of this pick.

Cheer up. You could be a Seahawks fan. They've picked guys like this for three days now. I oughta know. I'm sitting next to one

Not to mention the 7-8 better WR's.

Cheer up. You could be a Seahawks fan. They've picked guys like this for three days now. I oughta know. I'm sitting next to one

Exactly or the Bengals could have drafted like this earlier, theres a reason they took this guy what it is i dont know, but i dont draft players. I think they coached him at the senior bowl so something must have caught there eyes

Not to mention the 7-8 better WR's

Exactly or the Bengals could have drafted like this earlier, theres a reason they took this guy what it is i dont know, but i dont draft players. I think they coached him at the senior bowl so something must have caught there eyes

Botched pick. Gotta let SoP feel involved

PFW's Nawrocki, who usually hates anything Cincy does, seems to like the pick.

A very smart, sudden, savvy slot receiver who can be trusted to run the right route, Whalen is an ideal fit in Jay Gruden's West Coast offense. Drafting Whalen is another sign that the Bengals are trying to pacify Carson Palmer and provide the discipline on offense that was sorely lacking in recent years and have made it next to impossible for the quarterback position to function well.

Mel Kiper said this guy will contribute right away to the team, so there must be something good about him.

Yeah, the guys that actually play get thirsty and sweat. God knows they need someone to bring Gatorade and towels.

Not to bust this kid up, but I really see them looking to bring in a vet WR on a short 1-2 year deal.

We have a very young WR corps once Chad and TO are gone and little experience.

Mel Kiper said this guy will contribute right away to the team, so there must be something good about him.

Yeah, the guys that actually play get thirsty and sweat. God knows they need someone to bring Gatorade and towels.

Not to bust this kid up, but I really see them looking to bring in a vet WR on a short 1-2 year deal.

We have a very young WR corps once Chad and TO are gone and little experience.

I don't think they are bringing in another vet WR. I think they are perfectly fine with the inexperienced WR corps that they have after the disasters Coles, Bryant, and T.O. If they blow $$ on a FA it would be dumb IMO.

I'm NOT talking about dropping 10 mil on someone here. Just vet experience.

like who?.. I just don't see it. Whoever they bring in won't play unless someone gets injured. Simpson and Green will start, w/ Shipley as the slot. Caldwell will be the 4th guy, and if Cosby stays he will probably be the fifth guy and return punts. I think they are committed to seeing what they have in these young receivers.

Does seem like a turn and burn type pick...But I guess we did need a backup possession wide Receiver encase shipley got injured...

(shrug)

Caldwell has several seasons of experience playing the slot. Simpson has practiced there. Quan Cosby can't play anywhere else....or at all for that matter. And AJ Green can not only play all three WR positions, but is uniquely productive and explosive from the slot.

how can you HATE a 6th round WR pick? the dude isn't great, but he will play ST and hopefully replace andre caldwell's dead ass eventually.

how can you HATE a 6th round WR pick? the dude isn't great, but he will play ST and hopefully replace andre caldwell's dead ass eventually.

Lets start with the fact that there were more pressing needs at other spots

Then lets add the fact that while he is labeled a possession receiver, he frequently drops catchable balls

I have another term for possession receivers who frequently drop catchable balls

"Useless"

ok, also "Unemployed"

This was a wasted pick. Teams that draft well know that every pick, no matter how late, can contribute to a team's overall success.

You dont seem to understand that fact

You don't think the Bengals hope Whalen can "contribute to their overall success"?

Do you think they drafted him BECAUSE he has dropped some passes?

I think they wasted the pick on a useless "player" at a point in the draft where they could have addressed more pressing needs, or failing that, drafted one of the more highly rated receivers who were still available at that point. I'd have much preferred the former over the latter.

That said, as with any pick, I will be glad to be proved wrong.......the better these picks perform, the better the Bengals chances for immediate and sustained success

I have another term for possession receivers who frequently drop catchable balls

That bit in the cbs writeup appears to be an outlier. Every other profile I've read of him paints him as a guy with hands of glue.

I will be quite happy to be wrong, as I said above.

I will add another concern - one I dont think anyone has brought up so far - is his success more about his quarterback - the much coverted Andrew Luck - or more about the receiver?

To put it in perspective - would Pierre Garcon be as successful as he is without Peyton Manning throwing to him? Maybe so, but I'd bet otherwise

Lets start with the fact that there were more pressing needs at other spots

Then lets add the fact that while he is labeled a possession receiver, he frequently drops catchable balls

"Useless"

ok, also "Unemployed"

This was a wasted pick. Teams that draft well know that every pick, no matter how late, can contribute to a team's overall success.

You dont seem to understand that fact

eh.

i post here twice a year. how do you know what i understand and don't understand? special teams is a part of a team's overall success. whalen will play special teams. i don't know when you seen whalen play, but his hands are not a problem. not sure how you formed that opinion.

it was a 6th round pick, not a 2nd. relax.

I will add another concern - one I dont think anyone has brought up so far - is his success more about his quarterback - the much coverted Andrew Luck - or more about the receiver?

FWIW he apparently did in high school the same thing he did in high school.

Whalen didn't play organized football until his freshman year at Monte Vista where football coach Craig Bergman remembered him as a "skinny kid who was a phenomenal athlete."

"It wasn't until after his sophomore year where we said, 'Wow, this kid is going to be really good,'" Bergman said. "He just kept working himself into a heckuva athlete."

Whalen is the first Monte Vista player under Bergman to be drafted and the first Monte Vista player to be drafted since the Chargers selected Bob Gregor in 1980.

"It's pretty awesome. I'm so proud of Ryan of what he’s done and what he’ll continue to do," Bergman said. "You can't find a better kid, it's just fantastic."

Whalen graduated from Monte Vista in 2007, accepted a preferred walk-on spot at Stanford after a standout prep career and earned a scholarship a week after getting to campus. He went on to become one of the best receivers in the Pac-10 and led the Cardinal in receptions in both his sophomore and junior years. A heady player known for having good hands and being an excellent blocker, he'll join a Bengals team which drafted receiver A.J. Green with the fourth pick of the first round.