The Who Dey Perspective

HoosierCat

So did anyone see this on da site this morning? It was the first box to the left below the main picture. The picture for it was a Bengals logo superimposed over the stadium with the words "The Who Dey Perspective." The teaser copy underneath was:

Bengals.com presents the debut of “The Who Dey Perspective,” a spot where periodically, team spokespersons will bring the club’s viewpoint on key issues directly to readers. The first such offering is by public relations director Jack Brennan.

But when you clicked on it, it just took you to a blank page with a note that the article had expired or been deleted. I googled the teaser copy in case I could find a cached version but no luck. Now, even the picture and teaser copy have been scrubbed. Did anyone see this? Was there ever anything there?

(Personally, I think having Brennan say anything about any "key issue" is probably a bad idea given the current state of the fanbase...)

So did anyone see this on da site this morning? It was the first box to the left below the main picture. The picture for it was a Bengals logo superimposed over the stadium with the words "The Who Dey Perspective." The teaser copy underneath was:

Bengals.com presents the debut of “The Who Dey Perspective,” a spot where periodically, team spokespersons will bring the club’s viewpoint on key issues directly to readers. The first such offering is by public relations director Jack Brennan.

But when you clicked on it, it just took you to a blank page with a note that the article had expired or been deleted. I googled the teaser copy in case I could find a cached version but no luck. Now, even the picture and teaser copy have been scrubbed. Did anyone see this? Was there ever anything there?

(Personally, I think having Brennan say anything about any "key issue" is probably a bad idea given the current state of the fanbase...)

I've checked the dot com several times throughout the morning and never saw it . . . ?

This was on Facebook yesterday. It might be something in the works for the future. You could have stumbled onto a test page or something like that.

https://www.surveymo...an-video-survey

As the 2011 offseason begins, the NFL is beginning the process to upgrade and enhance the online video experience for its team websites (bengals.com). Through this brief survey, we are hoping to gather your feedback on the various ways in which you find, watch, interact with and share videos on bengals.com and other NFL team websites. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in filling out this survey.

The Who Dey Perspective has reappeared.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Introduction-to-The-Who-Dey-Perspective/b4c10a30-4de4-4bc0-8388-da0f4daf11e6

In this first installment, poor Jack is given the enjoyable task of explaining how, based on 15-year-old data, the Bengals' stadium deal isn't all that bad. It's just "middle of the pack," so the county ought to be happy it's only getting moderately screwed instead of really taking it up the tailpipe. Or something like that.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Introduction-to-The-Who-Dey-Perspective/b4c10a30-4de4-4bc0-8388-da0f4daf11e6

In this first installment, poor Jack is given the enjoyable task of explaining how, based on 15-year-old data, the Bengals' stadium deal isn't all that bad. It's just "middle of the pack," so the county ought to be happy it's only getting moderately screwed instead of really taking it up the tailpipe. Or something like that.

Oh dear lord

Perhaps next we could get Jack to explain to vietnam veterans how the Vietnam War really wasn't such a bad thing overall, or something similarly ridiculous

So it's the equivelent of saying "We're only sticking the tip of it in instead of the entire shaft." How sweet.

I think this whole thing is a really great idea . . . and that's about it. It's crazy to me that THIS was the first article they posted. How about something about the lockout? How about something about Carson or what's being done to ramp up for next season? How about some fact, a link, a chart, an article to support what was being said in there? And, by the way, just because a reporter says it's "middle of the pack" that doesn't mean the city/county is getting a good deal. If there are ten extortionists in a room and you are only getting black mailed fifth worst . . . you're still getting black mailed. The tone was off too. Maybe it's symptomatic of the whole team — great idea, poor execution.

I think this whole thing is a really great idea . . . and that's about it. It's crazy to me that THIS was the first article they posted. How about something about the lockout? How about something about Carson or what's being done to ramp up for next season? How about some fact, a link, a chart, an article to support what was being said in there? And, by the way, just because a reporter says it's "middle of the pack" that doesn't mean the city/county is getting a good deal. If there are ten extortionists in a room and you are only getting black mailed fifth worst . . . you're still getting black mailed. The tone was off too. Maybe it's symptomatic of the whole team — great idea, poor execution.

But, but, but...we're the 10th best team at drafting players who have the most games played!!! Don't change a thing!

The tone was off too. Maybe it's symptomatic of the whole team — great idea, poor execution.

The problem with the tone is that the Bengals are trying to paint themselves as the victims. "Oh, the media hasn't been fair to us." "We didn't do anything that other teams didn't do." "Oh woe is us, no one understands us." "You should be grateful for this nice sports palace in your downtown."

What Jack doesn't seem to get regarding execution is that his job right now isn't PR, it's a subset of PR called crisis management. It's as if BP responded to the Gulf oil spill by saying other companies spill oil, too, and drivers ought to be thanking them for the gas in their tanks. The focus of communications right now needs to be on solutions, not complaints about how hard it is to get their message out.

The tone was off too. Maybe it's symptomatic of the whole team — great idea, poor execution.

What Jack doesn't seem to get regarding execution is that his job right now isn't PR, it's a subset of PR called crisis management. It's as if BP responded to the Gulf oil spill by saying other companies spill oil, too, and drivers ought to be thanking them for the gas in their tanks. The focus of communications right now needs to be on solutions, not complaints about how hard it is to get their message out.

Well said. Reminds me of when Katie blew up at fans and said, "you don't understand how hard it is to run an NFL team!!!!"

I can't help but laugh anymore. This organization is a complete disaster.

A blog. A blog for excuses. Not a blog for solutions to obvious problems. A blog for excuses.

Is anyone else offended or are we just too used to this?

I'm on record as rooting for a long lockout. Spread the pain.

A blog. A blog for excuses. Not a blog for solutions to obvious problems. A blog for excuses.

As irrational as this thought is, I'm on board too. What do I lose from not watching this train wreck every Sunday? Nothing.

As far as the NFL goes, even in it's highest level of success and popularity, it's reaching it's point of diminishing returns.

2 extra games that nobody wants or thinks the league needs. Growing sentiment that the league is not taking care of the players health concerns. Rising ticket prices leading to some teams not being able to sell out in a tough economy. Everything has it's limit, no matter how good it seems.

In general, the whole process of a season is beginning to seem rushed and cheapened. A team wins the Superbowl and by Tuesday we've forgotten about the game and we're talking about the draft. Social media is distracting attention more to off the field matters than the actual game played on the field. It's getting old...and stale.

As irrational as this thought is, I'm on board too. What do I lose from not watching this train wreck every Sunday? Nothing.

As far as the NFL goes, even in it's highest level of success and popularity, it's reaching it's point of diminishing returns.

2 extra games that nobody wants or thinks the league needs. Growing sentiment that the league is not taking care of the players health concerns. Rising ticket prices leading to some teams not being able to sell out in a tough economy. Everything has it's limit, no matter how good it seems.

In general, the whole process of a season is beginning to seem rushed and cheapened. A team wins the Superbowl and by Tuesday we've forgotten about the game and we're talking about the draft. Social media is distracting attention more to off the field matters than the actual game played on the field. It's getting old...and stale.

Great observations. :cheers: Unfortunately social media allows everyone a voice and a place to bitch which just seems to focus on the negative.

I hope Rog and the boys can get this settled soon. I think a 50-50 split is more than fair to the players, After all for every Aaron Rodgers there are at least three or four Alex Smiths. There is plenty of risk to go around on both sides,

I'd like to see them implement a fair wage scale for draft picks, make bonus money apply to the year of the contract not over the length of the contract and to ditch the 18 game schedule proposal.

I also find it humorous that MB and Ralph Wilson were the only two owners that voted against the last CBA. They were somewhat prophetic.

• 2 weeks later...

The Enquirer apologizes for misleading headline.
/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Who-Dey-Perspective-Stadium-upgrades/680b626d-6ad2-4304-98d4-e1764b3cfd0f

In dialogue conducted since Jan. 30, The Enquirer has acknowledged to the Bengals that its headline presentation was flawed. We appreciate that. But of course no such message has been conveyed to the public, and so we ask our readers today to consider the widespread mistaken assumptions this headline surely caused.

What Jack doesn't seem to get regarding...

By any reasonable measure, Jack Brennan is a complete and utter failure.

He's been PR director for the Bengals for 17 years, and the Bengals public image is that of a dysfunctional NFL pariah. No doubt he has worked under challenging circumstances, but in no way has he risen to the challenge.

Nationally, statewide, and locally, the Bengals organization is reviled as cheap, stupid, and greedy. It's way beyond the won-loss record. Jack Brennan should be fired and replaced.

Is it any mystery to anyone how he keeps his job? Alexander. Lippincot. The so-called doctor they just finally fired. Bratkowski. If Mike likes you that's all that really matters. He'll never hand GM power over because then he can't use jobs with the Bengals as little rewards to hand out to his friends.

Bengals organization = Epic Fail. It's a f**king yard sale.

I'm neither offended, upset, or numb, and the blog neither seems to be propoganda or a way to make excuses.

It just seems like a bad idea.

In fact, it's fair to say that any attempt by the Bengals to communicate with their fanbase is a bad idea due to the toxic atmosphere that blankets Bengal Nation. We're in no mood for this kind of thing.

If this blog continues I forsee a future where most headlines will be distorted, most facts spun until they're almost unrecognizable, and most opinions offered on the blog will be greedily copied, bent, and slanted by anyone who bothers to respond.

"Sure, the Bengals may have shocked the world by curing cancer, but this reporter has to wonder if this football teams has it's priorities in order. Who's the QB? Where are the wins?"

Frankly, the Bengals suck at most things...including the way they interact with the public and media. But the answer to their struggles isn't doing more. It's doing less.

My advice? Understand your audience and give it what it wants.

Go full dark.

The Enquirer apologizes for misleading headline.
/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Who-Dey-Perspective-Stadium-upgrades/680b626d-6ad2-4304-98d4-e1764b3cfd0f

In dialogue conducted since Jan. 30, The Enquirer has acknowledged to the Bengals that its headline presentation was flawed. We appreciate that. But of course no such message has been conveyed to the public, and so we ask our readers today to consider the widespread mistaken assumptions this headline surely caused.

There's an old adage of which Jack has apparently never heard:

Don't get into a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel.

There's an old adage of which Jack has apparently never heard: Don't get into a war of words with someone who buys ink by the barrel.

Which is kinda funny, given his by-line:

Jack Brennan has been Bengals public relations director since 1994. He has been a Cincinnati resident since 1983, when he began a 10-year Queen City stint as a sports writer, first with the Cincinnati Post and later with the Enquirer.

Perhaps he thinks he's suitably armed to take them on, being an alum?

Frankly, the Bengals suck at most things...including the way they interact with the public and media. But the answer to their struggles isn't doing more. It's doing less.

My advice? Understand your audience and give it what it wants.

Go full dark.

Aren't we existential today?

Today and everyday.

After all, who am I to deny my own damn self?

That said, I think my full dark rant is rooted in nihilism.....as most Bengal related things are. For example, the following quote is the considered the core belief of all forms of nihilism. Read it and tell me it doesn't sound like the motto of Bengal Nation.

"Nothing that then existed found favor in their eyes"

Ehhhh?