Draft Pick Watch

HoosierCat

With my continued interest with our pick at the top of the 2nd, I was thinking if AJ Green were in fact gone (or doesn't declare) and the Bengals still wanted a WR, Jonathan Baldwin from Pitt did declare and figures to go somewhere in there. In 2009 as a true sophomore, he had a hell of a season when Stuhl (I think that's the spelling) was throwing to him. In 2010, he had a declined season with a new QB and his stock fell.

6'5, 225 makes for another large target for Carson.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my continued interest with our pick at the top of the 2nd, I was thinking if AJ Green were in fact gone (or doesn't declare) and the Bengals still wanted a WR, Jonathan Baldwin from Pitt did declare and figures to go somewhere in there. In 2009 as a true sophomore, he had a hell of a season when Stuhl (I think that's the spelling) was throwing to him. In 2010, he had a declined season with a new QB and his stock fell.

He played against UC a couple of times. Good player that would probably be a good pick. He looks like a thicker version of Chris Henry.

Problem is he may not be there. One ranking had him at no. 20 overall.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2jhSG3bEs

He played against UC a couple of times. Good player that would probably be a good pick. He looks like a thicker version of Chris Henry.

Problem is he may not be there. One ranking had him at no. 20 overall.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2jhSG3bEs

Impressive would be a good trade down target.

There are a lot bigger holes on this team than WR. Haven't we learned that by now? Stacking up on WRs isn't what this is all about.

One persons opinion huh ?? "IF" Chad and T.O. are both gone, WR does become an issue. The question becomes, where to take one in the draft??

On the other hand, you or anyone else knowing there are bigger holes on this team (and I happen to agree) is beside the point when you consider the Bengals usually take a couple WR's in every freakin' draft. I'm merely suggesting (as others have) to find a way to get one that actually fits what we do, while still being able to address the other holes we know exist. I also don't think taking one late is worth the time.

As much as I think AJ Green is the physical presence that I could live with in the first round, I also wouldn't mind Peterson making a switch to safety for us, allowing us to explore WR later. With that being the case, I don't feel once we've hit the 3rd round, the WR's available will be any better than what we currently have.

I'm just not as comfortable with the thought of a Simpson, Caldwell, Shipley lineup to start with.

Even if I was, where's the depth ??

Baldwin is a stud, but he's got plenty of diva in him, IMHO.

In regards to AJ Green, I pimp him soley because he's AJ Green. I like everything I see and hear. But if he's unavailable I wouldn't force another WR pick simply because of need regardless of the round.

BTW, does anyone have any thoughts about the big WR from Oklahoma State? I've only watched him play once but it was a man amongst boys kinda thing. Can't properly pimp him because I'm blanking on the name.

As much as I think AJ Green is the physical presence that I could live with in the first round, I also wouldn't mind Peterson making a switch to safety for us, allowing us to explore WR later. With that being the case, I don't feel once we've hit the 3rd round, the WR's available will be any better than what we currently have.

While I would be happy with a defensive pick I doubt that MB would take him because he normally doesn't draft "non-skill" guys in that slot. He believes that Guards, Safeties and DT's are generally not the kind of players worthy of that kinda money. So I expect a LB, WR or OT to be taken there.

I'm more than happy to see Simpson come on the way he did at the end of the season, but now I'm expected to buy the guy d*mn near everyone wanted to see cut heading into 2010, is now our best bet ?? I suppose that is possible, but I guess it's a matter of comfort and while you may be comfortable with that, I'm not. Give me AJ Green in the first and I'll let my comfort go from there.

I'm not saying you are wrong or that Green is the "be or end all" for the Bengals.

I simply don't see any other player capable of bringing to the table what Green could.

Not a real fan of any other player being mentioned around #4 outside of Peterson.

NOT AT ALL...

Trade down ?? Sure. I'll believe it when I see it...

Well, AJ Green declared yesterday and will enter the draft, so there's that part that no longer has to be wondered about.

While watching the sports show after the news last night, Reedy and Hobson were on andboth gave two differing opinions.

Reedy seemed hell bent on getting AJ Green in the first and Hobson replied almost violently, pounding his fist and saying, "You absolutely don't take a WR in the first if you are the Bengals". They really didn't go into the draft pick that much for those that didn't catch it. I will talk more about it in other threads where it applies.

Reedy seemed hell bent on getting AJ Green in the first and Hobson replied almost violently, pounding his fist and saying, "You absolutely don't take a WR in the first if you are the Bengals".

What does that mean?

Frankly, if you're the Bengals you don't do alot of smart things. That's what defines you as being Bengal, right?

For example, I'm guessing any viewpoint that refuses to consider drafting AJ Green at #4 is firmly rooted in the idea that he's not needed precisely because this team still has Ochocinco.

points/laughs/poops

As much as i love AJ Green, i would rather them get a Vet free agent in here dosnt need to be a big name, but a guy who will catch the ball, and actully want to be here. Would rather say draft Fairly or trade that pick. Get as many picks as you can to fill these holes.

If they are keeping Palmer then they need to build around him. They need to build this o-line again, they need to get a RB, because i doubt Benson will be back. I like Scott, but they will need a brusier, and can Scott carry the ball over 20 times. Sure get a WR but wait till the 2nd round, or even 3rd round.

Defense still needs help Saftey, how about another DT,DE to help this pass rush improve. They should Tag JJoe, but still could use some CB help.

This team needs alot, so they should try to trade the diva, and if there is nobody there that they like then trade back and get more draft picks

Fairley is a beast. He would be perfect. He's nasty too, and this defense needs that bad. I hope he slides to us. If you are watching him tonight, ud know that he will be a top 5 pick.

Dude's a beast. He's single handedly dominating the Oregon O-line tonight.

a Oline that only gave up 7 sacks this season,he was really impressive tonight and really all season hence why I think he'll be gone...

Wow, that was one of the most dominating performance i've seen from a DT in a long time. I saw Suh doing that at Nebraska and i'm not saying he's Suh, but good God almighty. I'm again feeling much better about who we get at #4. Not saying it will be Fairley, but prior to last nights game, I wasn't convinced he would go top 5. Now ?? No way he doesn't.

He obviously knew with Luck going back he was putting on an audition for the #1 overall.

I think he made a VERY compelling case.

After the Big Daddy epic fail I doubt that MB would pay that kind of money to a DT. If the guy plays like that and can maintain his focus and not get fat (ala Andre) I am all for that pick.

I'm not sure what the needs are of the teams above the Bengals. BTW, with Luck off the board is there any speculation on who the No. 1 pick might be?

After the Big Daddy epic fail I doubt that MB would pay that kind of money to a DT. If the guy plays like that and can maintain his focus and not get fat (ala Andre) I am all for that pick.

I'm not sure what the needs are of the teams above the Bengals. BTW, with Luck off the board is there any speculation on who the No. 1 pick might be?

Yes because every top 10 DT is going be bigdaddy 2#

Don't sleep on Robert Quinn.

He was declared ineligible this season but if he passes a character background the guy is an absolute monster

2009 - Sophomore Season

First-Team All-ACC and second-highest vote getter on the defensive side of the ball • Finished second in the ACC Defensive Player of the Year vote • Second-team All-America by CBSsports.com • Was a candidate for the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's top defensive end • Ranked first in the ACC and 15th in the country in tackles for losses with 19.0 and was second in the league and 16th in the nation in sacks with 11.0 • Ranked second in the ACC and fourth in the country with six forced fumbles • Also had 15 quarterback pressures • Has been the starter at defensive end since the second game of 2008 • Is one of the quickest players off the edge in the ACC • Finished the season with 52 tackles and three pass breakups • Posted three tackles vs. Pittsburgh in the Meineke Car Care Bowl • Forced a fumble and had four tackles, including 1.5 for loss, at NC State • Forced a fumble, recorded one sack, broke up a pass and added three tackles in a 31-13 win over Boston College • Had a 2-yard tackle for loss vs. Miami • Part of a defensive unit that held BC to just 198 total yards • Named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week for his performance in Carolina's 19-6 win over Duke • Had a team-high seven tackles, including three sacks for 26 yards, another 1.5 tackles for losses of eight yards, forced a fumble, broke up a pass on fourth down and registered six quarterback pressures • His three-sacks matched his career high set earlier in the season vs. Virginia • Dropped back into pass coverage to break up a pass on fourth down vs. the Devils • Led a Carolina defense that held Duke to 125 total yards and limited the Blue Devils potent passing attack to just 113 yards, more than 212 yards below their average • Broke up a pass and added a tackle in the win at Virginia Tech • Was double-teamed most of the night and had just one tackle against Florida State • Credited with five tackles, one sack, and 1.5 tackles for losses against Georgia Southern • Also forced a fumble and had two quarterback hurries against the Eagles • Had a phenomenal game vs. Virginia with a career-high three sacks and four tackles for losses of 28 yards • Posted a total of seven tackles and added a quarterback pressure vs. the Cavaliers • Registered a career-high 10 tackles, including 2.5 for losses, and forced a fumble at Georgia Tech • Had four tackles, including two sacks for 17 yards, in Carolina's 31-17 win over ECU • Played well with three tackles in Carolina's 12-10 win at Connecticut • Was one of the coach's players of the week for his play vs. The Citadel with three tackles, an 8-yard sack, two quarterback hurries and a forced fumble.

Also keep an eye on Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. If Marvin et al is convinced that Maualuga can move inside to fill the place of Dhani Jones then Miller who is by far the best linebacker in the draft makes perfect since, he has been recorded with a 4.46 40 at 243 lbs. and is the Butkus award winner he fits with this team is an excellent pass rusher and is smooth enough to drop into coverage.

I am not sold on A.J. Green, he simply does not have the production, unless he completely blows up the combine I don't see rolling the dice at pick #4. Julio Jones has the same size and has better production against very similar competition.