THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if Marvin wasnt fired, somebody needs to take the fall, somebody has to go!!

I cant believe there will be no changes what so ever, something has to happen it just has to.

Ya Brown said Scouting Department is fine so I'm Looking for Brat & other coaches to be fired and then Ocho & T.O will not return...

It's not the best we could have done but it's improvement and BRAT WILL FINALLY BE GONE...I hope ><

Hard to get anything out of a presser with these two guys but the one thing I got out of it was they both agreed that they weren't playing the young players soon enough. Mikey mentioned getting the young players ready to play sooner. At least they've realized their mistakes with guys like Dunlap, Simpson and maybe even Coffman

They cut Coffman. Can you believe that?

When?

Well Espn just said that Marvin got the things he demanded for not everything, but enought to make him happy and stay. I think they said coaching desicions, player desicions, and who will be inactive and active for games. Also i guess the practice bubble!

So who knows whats going to happen, who will stay who will go, but we will find out soon i hope!

and then his voice slowly trailed off into a series of inaudible mumbles and bubbles.

Boy, you're not kidding there. Mike's voice sounded older and more mildly befuddled than ever. He sounded like he should be asking for more creamed corn at the Sizzler early bird special, not running an NFL team.

I expect Mike to begin having "spells" anytime soon, wherein he actually thinks he is at the cafeteria instead of playing cloak and dagger deep cover with the media.

Reporter: "Is the team you own and run called the Cincinnati Bengals?"

Mike: "We run an NFL team, and yes it has a name, like all NFL teams do. This is just a theme that the media creates, all this hue and cry wanting to know what our team is called. Eh..., is there any salisbury steak left back there? Any lima beans? Er..., uh, so yes, our team has a name, not really pertinant right now that I reveal what it is."

Reporter: "But it is a football team, right? A team with an offense and a defense? Special teams?"

Mike: "We've never revealed what we do, nor do we have to. I won't apologize for our operations, we may or may not have an offense. We're a lot like other teams, huh... I don't..., uh, there's cottage cheese in this soup, is this supposed to be like this?... Ehh, our personnel is reviewed weekly, we have a business we're running, that's all anyone needs to know."

Reporter: "You seem crazy. Are you?"

Mike: "There are safeguards in place, contingency plans, to deal with such circumstances. Whether they exist right now is just a little media-created storm that... I say, my good man, I happen to have a couple of these one gallon ziplock plastic backs in my pocket, would you fill them with some of those tater tots you have back there? What? MCL will hear from my lawyers, by God... uh, Marvin, anything to add?"

Marvin: "I can't confirm or deny that I'm even here."

Reporter: "Are we on planet earth?"

Mike: "I can't really go into that in any specificity. We are getting better, where we actually are is not so much the question today. I'll say we are in the Milky Way Solar System, that's all I'll say right now."

Reporter: "Marvin?"

Marvin: "Ah, what the hell. Yes, we are on planet earth."

Reporter: "Oh hell yes! There's my lead. Breaking news!"

Hard to get anything out of a presser with these two guys but the one thing I got out of it was they both agreed that they weren't playing the young players soon enough. Mikey mentioned getting the young players ready to play sooner. At least they've realized their mistakes with guys like Dunlap, Simpson and maybe even Coffman

I've been listening to some of the local radio and Artrell Hawkins said he expects the Brat and Alexander will probably be replaced. He mentioned that former Bengals players have told him they can't believe the Brat is still around. I didn't realize it but Alexander has been here since 1994 when Jim McNally left and wen to Carolina. Time for him to go too. Jim Anderson has been here forever but probably gets a pass since he has a good run of successful RBs through the years. Several of the coaches do not have contracts at this point but I am not sure who they are.

As for the scouting, I can't easily dismiss what Brown has been clinging too. They seem to have a history of getting good individual players. So if we can assume that we have an adequate scouting department, what is the flaw in transitioning from the draft day specimen to productive NFL player? And into a more cohesive team that fits our system? That is the one thing that I hope will be addressed.

Reading between the lines was the realization that they had missed the boat on the younger guys and how do they fix that going forward? Is that reports from the position coaches? The grading system? Loyalty to the vets? Cost/benefit of sitting a high priced vet? Concerned about backlash from the vets on the team?

It did seem rather hastily assembled so hopefully they can or Marvin can have another press conference when they have coaching changes to discuss and be better prepared to lay out the plan or any other systematic improvements.

I just saw on another website from Lance McCalister that Hue Jackson was in town having dinner with Marvin.....so who know what that means im sure nothing but you never know.....maybe next OC

Also read that MB said that coaching changes will be made, and will be in the next couple weeks, didnt say who or anything though. It was on a Cinci raido station here.

So once again who know what all this means but hope that changes are coming!!

I just saw on another website from Lance McCalister that Hue Jackson was in town having dinner with Marvin.....so who know what that means im sure nothing but you never know.....maybe next OC

Also read that MB said that coaching changes will be made, and will be in the next couple weeks, didnt say who or anything though. It was on a Cinci raido station here.

That would be a good thing.

Hobson has also changed his tune on coaching changes. He earlier said that there would be NO changes since the Bengals are coaching at the Senior Bowl. He has now changed this to say that they will coach the senior bowl despite the upcoming coaching changes.

So, possible good news there.

Hue probably isn't free to do anything until things are decided in Oakland. With Al Davis who knows?

Yea that is true, but just thought it was weird that they brought it up, guess just friends out for dinner dry.gif

Wouldn't mind Hue as O-Coordinator (improvement over Brat, but still not great) downside may be if Hue comes back, he might have them pick up the option on Ocho.

From Lance's blog

Hmmmm...

Hue Jackson was in town having dinner w/Marvin at Carlo and Johnny the week before the Cleveland game

"I think they'd be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't explore Carson's value on the trade market"

---per Dave Lapham on ESPN 1530

Hue probably isn't free to do anything until things are decided in Oakland. With Al Davis who knows?

Trade them Ochocinco for Hue.

"I think they'd be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't explore Carson's value on the trade market"

If Marvin has one year left to right the ship why would he trade carson? Carson has to stay with marvin returning

Can I assume you missed the press conference? I ask because in an event where almost nothing was said the one thing both parties hammered home is how much control Lewis has, how rarely the two parties disagree, and how it's even rarer that Mike has to force his opinion upon Lewis.

Yeah, I saw the coathanger smile on Lewis' face too. A little too much protesting on that point.

Well say how things play out, but after listening to the presser the only thing Marvin seems to have got was more time. It's even possible he caved on every demand, as others have claimed.

That I agree on - this seems to just kick the can down the road a couple years. So great, Marvin gets to have another lame duck year in 2012. Worked great this time.

I've already gotten the indictment, hereby noted as document #2010-4-12. And again, it isn't a question of who loves what the most. Rather, it's who is best in a position to control the direction of a team, a coordinator or a head coach. Or if you prefer, a head coach or GM who doesn't gameplan or call plays.

Or if you prefer, an employee or the guy who signs his checks. You couldn't even get the OJ jury to return a guilty for that. Glove doesn't fit. You're disbarred.

Well say how things play out, but after listening to the presser the only thing Marvin seems to have got was more time. It's even possible he caved on every demand, as others have claimed.

That I agree on - this seems to just kick the can down the road a couple years. So great, Marvin gets to have another lame duck year in 2012. Worked great this time.

There was a brief moment or comment where Brown said if things go well an extension could be given rather quickly. Not sure what the criteria for that would be but it sounds like it's out there for what it's worth.

Interesting postscript: apparently the Texans were interested in Marvin for DC.

/>http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/22441045333643264

I don't think he would have had any problem finding a DC job,Find it interesting they were though because I thought they really wanted wade.

Interesting postscript: apparently the Texans were interested in Marvin for DC.

/>http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/22441045333643264

That's where I would have projected him to land if he had been allowed to walk. Because IMHO he wouldn't have gotten a sniff for a head coaching job in the NFL (49'ers) and I can't see him in the role of college recruiter.(Pitt) So none of those rumors made any sense to me. But all of the talk about Wade Phillips going to Houston made me wonder about Lewis being not only the better choice, but it would have put Marvin in perfect position to take over for Kubiak whenever that guy finally gets fired. And he will.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/section/videoNetwork#/Home/The+Bengals+Re-sign+Marvin+Lewis./52409465001/52271229001/738291093001

Enquirer video clip from today's events

Kinda funny how you can trim a 27 minute press conference down to less than 3 minutes and not really miss anything.

For whatever it's worth I didn't see any evidence of Marvin's coathanger smile. However, I did note that he was dressed as if it were laundry day, a far cry from the day when he was introduced as the Bengals new head coach while wearing a suit so shiny Pete Rose might have made fun of it. Then again, Pete's suits actually came out of a can.

But I digress.