Best D in the AFC North?

ct_bengal

We are one game breaking safety away from having a Pittburgh/Baltimore defense IMHO. Give us Eric Berry and we will truly be at their level.

I wouldnt go that far, this is a good defense but they are still not dominate. This team needs pass rushers, i love MJ and feel one day he is going to be a beast for this team, and i hope it comes this year yet. Love the Linebackers, Dahni wont play forever, so i wonder if Brandon Johnson will be that other LB or who will play when Rey moves to the middle, but i do like them. Corners are good with a good pass rush, and i agree i would love to have that big time safty yet. I love this defense and what it has done besides the Houston game they have played good. Against Denver, Baltimore, and Chicago, i think that was they best i have seen them, and if they continue to keep playing angry the sky is the limit for this defense.

I guess I should elaborate. I believe the difference between the Pittsburgh and Baltimore's defense and Cincinnati's is Polamalu and Reed. If you take Cincinnati's defense 10 other positions I take Cincinnati's young LBer corp, I take the Defensive Line, and I take the Corners but the safety position is so huge for these defenses that it tilts the balance completely.

I guess I should elaborate. I believe the difference between the Pittsburgh and Baltimore's defense and Cincinnati's is Polamalu and Reed. If you take Cincinnati's defense 10 other positions I take Cincinnati's young LBer corp, I take the Defensive Line, and I take the Corners but the safety position is so huge for these defenses that it tilts the balance completely.

I think we have pretty darn good safeties. They're definitely not on the level of Reed or Polamalu, but they're good. Crocker, Ndukwe, and Williams (when he plays) are as good as any teams safeties in the league.

Keep in mind those points allowed stats are for the entire team, not just the defense. When you take away all the points allowed by our offense (i.e. off of interceptions returned for touchdowns) our defense looks even better.

A blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then is cute. awww, look at the blind squirrel get his nut. enjoy that nut little squirrel!

blind_squirrel.jpg

We're 28th against the pass. :unsure:

5th against the run though, and looking like we'll probably improve overall before the season is finished. I still say our defense is the division's third best (even considering Baltimore's dropoff), but at least the division has three good ones.

We're 28th against the pass. :unsure:

5th against the run though, and looking like we'll probably improve overall before the season is finished. I still say our defense is the division's third best (even considering Baltimore's dropoff), but at least the division has three good ones.

As far as stats wise, that Houston game just killed this team there, but if they continue like they did against Denver, Baltimore, Chicago, then i do think they will move themselves up.

Jesus. You people are morons. Better D than Pittsburgh and Baltimore? Because we trounced the Bears? Do you knuckleheads not remember what happened against Houston? Seriously. This Jekyll/Hyde team could lose 45-10 to either the Ravens or Steelers, if they aren't careful. I'm hearing the same s**t I heard after we beat the Ravens two weeks ago. I'm wondering: are you the same dumbass "fans" who wouldn't buy tickets to the Texans game?

Keep in mind those points allowed stats are for the entire team, not just the defense. When you take away all the points allowed by our offense (i.e. off of interceptions returned for touchdowns) our defense looks even better.

A blind squirrel finding a nut every now and then is cute. awww, look at the blind squirrel get his nut. enjoy that nut little squirrel!

blind_squirrel.jpg

JoePong, don't ever leave this board, because some of this abuse being heaped upon you is the funniest stuff I've read here in a long time. So stick around little squirrel!

Jesus. You people are morons. Better D than Pittsburgh and Baltimore? Because we trounced the Bears?

Actually....

(and this is not me ageeeing or disagreeing with the original posters assessment, but rather pointing out the obvious....errr.....obvious to the rest of us "morons", but apparently not to the likes of you)

....the original poster included the reason why he concludes the Bengals defense is the best in the AFC North.

So no need to speculate on the 'why' as it pertains to this thread.

blind_squirrel.jpg

JoePong, don't ever leave this board, because some of this abuse being heaped upon you is the funniest stuff I've read here in a long time. So stick around little squirrel!

I do not understand the comment. What do nuts have to do with anything?

I was listening to a game broadcast recently when the commentators were talking about how many points per game the bengals defense was allowing, and they actually used the total points allowed by the team to rank the defense. My point is that the total point allowed is different than the points given up by the defense, and there should be some stat that shows just how many points the defense has allowed, disregarding points allowed by the offense or by the special teams. The defense should not be punished for their mistakes.

As far as finding a nut, I suppose you were trying to compliment me by saying I make a good point, but it's not an idea that's all genius or anything...just common sense.

blind_squirrel.jpg

I do not understand the comment. What do nuts have to do with anything?

I was listening to a game broadcast recently when the commentators were talking about how many points per game the bengals defense was allowing, and they actually used the total points allowed by the team to rank the defense. My point is that the total point allowed is different than the points given up by the defense, and there should be some stat that shows just how many points the defense has allowed, disregarding points allowed by the offense or by the special teams. The defense should not be punished for their mistakes.

As far as finding a nut, I suppose you were trying to compliment me by saying I make a good point, but it's not an idea that's all genius or anything...just common sense.

It was a compliment. Your point was valid and insightful and considered something the rest of us had glossed past. tip'o the hat.

Well Poli and Reed will both be in the "Hall" some day no doubt about that. But we are having a good year. The draft and FAs we got are making this "D" a good overall Def.

P.S. Joe Pong sed something good about the "Bengals?"" Holy Snikies!!!!