Baltimore Week: What they are saying in Baltimore

membengal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 105.7 The Fan, and they are stunned at how the Bengals o-line handled the Ravens.

And two of the three hosts have that "did that just happen" tone to their voice. It. is. so. good. to. hear.

Let's review the Baltimore Sun's columnists predictions for the game shall we?

Kevin Cowherd: Ravens 27, Bengals 14

New and improved Bengals no match for Ravens D, unless crazy Chad Ochocinco KO's entire secondary.

Jamison Hensley: Ravens 28, Bengals 17

The running game enthusiastically returns to M&T Bank Stadium. All is right again with Ravens Nation.

Edward Lee: Ravens 38, Bengals 13

Ochocinco & Co. get an angry Ravens squad that will be eager to re-assert its dominance in the AFC North.

Ken Murray: Ravens 31, Bengals 21

It's back to the running game this week.

Mike Preston: Ravens 28, Bengals 13

Bengals will tire heading into third-straight AFC North game, second straight on the road.

Peter Schmuck: Ravens 31, Bengals 17

The Ravens will rough up Carson Palmer and, this time, the officials will be looking the other way.

WJZ's Mark Viviano: Ravens 24, Bengals 17

Unlike last week, this time the Ravens beat the guys in stripes.

Eat a d**k guys!

I have fond memories of their Monday Night game against the Patriots in '07, when their defense melted down at the end of the game. The issue then? Officiating. I recall one of their linebackers picking up a penalty flag and whipping it through and out of the endzone, as they incurred a series of unsportsmanlike conduct calls.

I enjoyed their intensity. It was fun to watch someone else's team lose all it's composure, along with whatever chance they had left to win the game.

Watching the Ravens stay true to form and commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty at the end of the game was a thing of beauty.

Not a thing of beauty? Ray Lewis' cheap attempt to injure Chad. The league will fine the crap out of him, but I believe he should definitely be suspended. At least one game.

Not a thing of beauty? Ray Lewis' cheap attempt to injure Chad. The league will fine the crap out of him, but I believe he should definitely be suspended. At least one game.

I can't see how they cannot and remain consistent in their calls.

As much as he's a Cane, the dude is a real douchebag some times. Also, does anyone get the impression he thinks he's a reel deep dude? All that prancing around like a peacock and screeching in a manly fashion he does to 'pump himself up' is also cringe-worthy. I don't know how his teammates put up with the embarrassment. He's rivalled only by Dawkins for pure self love.

Also, Drew, it's nice you visited the marines and stuff but that call out/cadence is a little OTT dontcha think. At least it does appear that way to me when it's performed by multi-millionaire pro athletes and not, ya know, actual Marines/soldiers.

Couple of thoughts...#1 I don't know if I can take this the whole season! I mean a win is a win, but can we blow out the Texans next week so my heart can have a breather! #2 Please please please put Coles as our #4 or 5 receiver. Henry and Andre both played well, and btw, they don't drop passes! #3 and maybe most important, fire St. Louis like yesterday!!!!! If the free agent market is hurtin for long snappers then hold open try outs and get someone else in there! A drunk monkey would have better consistent snaps than St. Louis!!!!!!!! Great win. Great to be undefeated in the division! WhoDey

Couple of thoughts...#1 I don't know if I can take this the whole season! I mean a win is a win, but can we blow out the Texans next week so my heart can have a breather! #2 Please please please put Coles as our #4 or 5 receiver. Henry and Andre both played well, and btw, they don't drop passes! #3 and maybe most important, fire St. Louis like yesterday!!!!! If the free agent market is hurtin for long snappers then hold open try outs and get someone else in there! A drunk monkey would have better consistent snaps than St. Louis!!!!!!!! Great win. Great to be undefeated in the division! WhoDey

Don't expect any breathers this season Hollywood. I't just not the Bengals style. They're not calling them the Cardiac Cats for nothing!

BTW...welcome to Bengalszone.

There is a wake underway on 1300 AM this morning. Usually espn radio, they have a Ravens Monday morning round-table during football season that includes Sun columnist Mike Preston and a few former Ravens and Colts. And the change in tone this morning is marked. Lamenting the Bengals being the more physical team, the more poised team, and team with better playmakers. And they are genuinely envious of the Bengals D. The corners, the backers, even the line.

This is bizarre.

A few choice pieces from the Baltimore Sun this morning:

First Kevin Cowherd:

/>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.cowherd12oct12,0,645227.column

Let's not hear any whining about the referees this week, OK?

The Cincinnati Bengals won this one fair and square. The Bengals are for real. There's no question about it, not after their gritty 17-14 win over the mistake-prone Ravens on Sunday that leaves Cincinnati atop the AFC North at 4-1 and leaves this town in shock.

Yep, shock is the right word, given the incredible expectations heaped upon this team since the start of training camp.

The Ravens were going to the Super Bowl - that's all you heard on the sports talk shows. All you read on the blogs and message boards, too.

Heck, this team was so good, it might even run the table. Oh, I heard and read that a lot, too.

So when the Bengals scored the game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds left, a 20-yard bullet from Carson Palmer to Andre Caldwell that culminated an 80-yard drive aided by three costly Ravens penalties, the crowd at M&T Bank Stadium did not take this gracefully.

"The referees stink! The referees stink!" went the thunderous chant, although this being the age of beer-fueled coarseness in NFL stadiums and everywhere else, they did not exactly use the word stink, if you catch my drift.

But don't kid yourself.

The referees didn't steal this one from the Ravens.

The Bengals played too well. The Ravens made too many mistakes and played listlessly at times. And, to their credit, most of the Ravens manned up afterward and didn't blame the zebras, maybe on the advice of their coach, John Harbaugh.

Look, if I'm Harbaugh after the penalty-marred loss to the New England Patriots last week, I close the locker room door right after this loss to the Bengals.

Then I do a Vito Corleone on my players before the media come in.

"Men, we lost this one ourselves," I tell my team. "Anyone says anything about the refs, I'll fine him so much he'll be playing for free the rest of the season."

Whether he threatened his players or not, Harbaugh himself set the tone for the Ravens in his post-game remarks.

Asked right away whether the game was decided on the field - this is a euphemism for "Did you guys get hosed again by the calls?" - he refused to take the bait.

"The game is always decided on the field," Harbaugh said. "We didn't play well enough to win. We didn't play well enough in any of the three phases to win, and we didn't."

and Mike Preston:

/>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston12oct12,0,6206616.column

With two minutes left in the game, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was having a chat with Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, whose Bengals had the ball at their 33-yard line.

"He was chuckling with me, and I told him, 'Look, man, we got you exactly where we want you,' " Marvin Lewis said.

He was right. Ten plays later, Andre Caldwell caught a 20-yard pass over the middle for the game-winning touchdown as the Bengals upset the Ravens, 17-14, at M&T Bank Stadium.

It was the fourth time Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer had rallied the Bengals (4-1) this season with game-winning drives, and it showed a glaring problem that continues to haunt the Ravens (3-2).

Forget all this talk about a change in defensive scheme from a year ago. Cincinnati left a lot of points on the field because the Ravens don't have any cornerbacks who can cover man-to-man.

Nickel back Chris Carr? Too soft. Starting cornerback Domonique Foxworth? He has no physical presence and has lost his confidence. He can't find himself or the ball. Fabian Washington? He might be the best on the roster after rookie Lardarius Webb, and that's not saying a lot.

During the offseason, the Ravens signed Foxworth to a four-year contract worth $16.5 million in guaranteed money, and Carr to a two-year deal estimated at $5 million.

It might be time to ask for a refund or a rebate.

In training camp, Ravens coach John Harbaugh bragged about the speed of his cornerbacks, and that speed is apparently used to catch up with the other team's receivers after they catch long passes.

Hee.

A few choice pieces from the Baltimore Sun this morning:

First Kevin Cowherd:

/>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.cowherd12oct12,0,645227.column

Let's not hear any whining about the referees this week, OK?

The Cincinnati Bengals won this one fair and square. The Bengals are for real. There's no question about it, not after their gritty 17-14 win over the mistake-prone Ravens on Sunday that leaves Cincinnati atop the AFC North at 4-1 and leaves this town in shock.

Yep, shock is the right word, given the incredible expectations heaped upon this team since the start of training camp.

The Ravens were going to the Super Bowl - that's all you heard on the sports talk shows. All you read on the blogs and message boards, too.

Heck, this team was so good, it might even run the table. Oh, I heard and read that a lot, too.

So when the Bengals scored the game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds left, a 20-yard bullet from Carson Palmer to Andre Caldwell that culminated an 80-yard drive aided by three costly Ravens penalties, the crowd at M&T Bank Stadium did not take this gracefully.

"The referees stink! The referees stink!" went the thunderous chant, although this being the age of beer-fueled coarseness in NFL stadiums and everywhere else, they did not exactly use the word stink, if you catch my drift.

But don't kid yourself.

The referees didn't steal this one from the Ravens.

The Bengals played too well. The Ravens made too many mistakes and played listlessly at times. And, to their credit, most of the Ravens manned up afterward and didn't blame the zebras, maybe on the advice of their coach, John Harbaugh.

Look, if I'm Harbaugh after the penalty-marred loss to the New England Patriots last week, I close the locker room door right after this loss to the Bengals.

Then I do a Vito Corleone on my players before the media come in.

"Men, we lost this one ourselves," I tell my team. "Anyone says anything about the refs, I'll fine him so much he'll be playing for free the rest of the season."

Whether he threatened his players or not, Harbaugh himself set the tone for the Ravens in his post-game remarks.

Asked right away whether the game was decided on the field - this is a euphemism for "Did you guys get hosed again by the calls?" - he refused to take the bait.

"The game is always decided on the field," Harbaugh said. "We didn't play well enough to win. We didn't play well enough in any of the three phases to win, and we didn't."

and Mike Preston:

/>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.preston12oct12,0,6206616.column

With two minutes left in the game, Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was having a chat with Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, whose Bengals had the ball at their 33-yard line.

"He was chuckling with me, and I told him, 'Look, man, we got you exactly where we want you,' " Marvin Lewis said.

He was right. Ten plays later, Andre Caldwell caught a 20-yard pass over the middle for the game-winning touchdown as the Bengals upset the Ravens, 17-14, at M&T Bank Stadium.

It was the fourth time Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer had rallied the Bengals (4-1) this season with game-winning drives, and it showed a glaring problem that continues to haunt the Ravens (3-2).

Forget all this talk about a change in defensive scheme from a year ago. Cincinnati left a lot of points on the field because the Ravens don't have any cornerbacks who can cover man-to-man.

Nickel back Chris Carr? Too soft. Starting cornerback Domonique Foxworth? He has no physical presence and has lost his confidence. He can't find himself or the ball. Fabian Washington? He might be the best on the roster after rookie Lardarius Webb, and that's not saying a lot.

During the offseason, the Ravens signed Foxworth to a four-year contract worth $16.5 million in guaranteed money, and Carr to a two-year deal estimated at $5 million.

It might be time to ask for a refund or a rebate.

In training camp, Ravens coach John Harbaugh bragged about the speed of his cornerbacks, and that speed is apparently used to catch up with the other team's receivers after they catch long passes.

Hee.

It'll be a long week of giggling for you, won't it? ;)

Why, yes.

The callers in the first hour on 1300 are hammering the corners and secondary in general. And the new d-coordinator. And the lack of a pass rush.

It's like they all of a sudden realize that they got gashed in NE and SD and they should have taken that more seriously than resting on their laurels in shutting down Brodie Croyle and Brady Quinn...

Posting from work on blackberry now.

Rob long being a little bitch. Says he doesn't know what to make of the loss b/c he does not know what the bengals are. Apparently the wins over steelers and packers didn't happen.

His callers are alternately pissed at the O and D.