Baltimore Week: What they are saying in Baltimore

membengal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning drive, 1/2 hour of Rob Long scolding his listerners for dwelling on the Patriots. Which, ironically, meant that there was more focus on the Patriots.

Afternoon drive, no upcoming game talk. This thing is in hand.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ravens-picks1008,0,6821665.story

There's the general gist of what the Baltimore media thinks of this game. Granted, I think the Ravens will win the game too, but you'd think they've forgotten they've given up at least 24 points to every team they've played this year except the Browns. And their offense, wins against the Chiefs and Browns at home and the mighty 24th ranked San Diego defense 31-26 at San Diego.

Just sayin'.

That entire panel picked the Steelers to beat the Bengals two weeks ago. For what it's worth.

I bet they did.

You know what's funny is that because the Bengals won a tight one at Cleveland, all of the sudden they're bad. Didn't KC hang in there at Baltimore until the last 4 minutes? The media is just as guilty as us fans. We, the fans and apparently the media, look at who played who played who and how they did compared to how we played them...blah blah blah.

The Ravens will probably win but these scores of 38-13 and such just make these writers look really bad...and dumb.

Nice article in the Baltimore Sun this morning on the Bengals' defensive improvement:

/>http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.ravens09oct09002031,0,6538740.story

Interesting factoid from that piece that I did not know?

This Bengals defense can take the ball away; last week in Cleveland, it forced two red-zone turnovers against the Browns in an overtime win. Since 2003, the Bengals have logged 198 takeaways, second only to the Ravens' 205.

I heard an odd fact a couple weeks ago on a Bengals game broadcast. They said the Bengals hadn't given up a touchdown on the opening drive in, oh, I can't remember the number, but it had been a bunch of games. It was the longest such active streak in the NFL, and I think they gave one up that very game to end the streak.

Whoever Rob Long has on his show this morning is actually throwing a note of caution on those expecting a walk to a Ravens win. His analysis of how to handle Carson is also interesting, he thinks they should try and confuse Palmer with coverage rather than brining the house at him.

Rob Long just now noticing how his callers all week have been dwelling on the week just past. Now talking about the lack of buzz over this game locally. He and his cohost have decided that this may be a trap game for the fanbase. That one, I tend to agree with. I am hoping the energy level in the stadium won't be what it might otherwise be as that game gets underway.

Mike Preston and Bruce Cunningham on the 2:00 spot on 105.7 the fan doing a little game talk, still dealing with callers complaining about the officials from last Sunday (yes, still), and reading stale Bengals/cops humor.

Oh, and for some reason the hosts think the Bengals have bad special teams play in terms of coverage. Which is simply not the case. At least in my opinion. God knows the Ravens have had Cribbs issues in the past themselves...

It is amazing to hear people's wrong perceptions repeated over and over again like it is the truth.

Good lord, Scott Garceau and Anita Marks on the 3-6 show on 105.7 The Fan doing some level analysis, with Marks in particular correcting callers who are spouting non-factual nonsense about the Bengals.

I, I, I don't have a frame of refernce for this.

» Palmer has also done well against the Ravens. Not only did he throw for 200 yards in that one fourth quarter, but he’s 6-3 against them and had completed nearly 62 percent of his passes for 12 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Palmer has thrown for less than 200 yards in two games this season.

soon to be 7-3 ^_^ after sunday

Here are the facts as I see them.The Bengals have all the tools needed to win this game. The Ravens are looking past the Bengals. This game means more to the Bengals than it does to the Ravens. If the Bengals win, respect from the pundits will follow. A win Sunday can turn this team around and make them a true player in the division. However, a loss will go a long way towards burying this team for another season.

To sum up the week's worth of Baltimore sports radio:

---The callers are taking this one for granted, and seem to equte the Bengals with the Browns in terms of ease of opponent

---The radio hosts are slightly less optimistic, but only slightly

---That is all to the extent anyone is actually looking forward to this weekend, as the fanbase is still mad at the officials and Patriots (particularly Tom Brady)

---No one here seems to have picked up on the Zimmer family tragedy, at least not that I heard Friday pm

---The misinformation about who this Bengals team is and how they have gotten to 3-1 is amusing. What's really funny is caller after caller saying that the Bengals running game is trash. Not really, random misinformed caller dudes.

Will update this thread Sunday before the game after listening to some of the local pre-game stuff.

Hope it has been diversionary reading.

Mem,

I don't know if you listen to 105.7 The Fan there in Baltimore but on the weekends my old Army roomate does the sports talk. His name is Mark Citarella but I think he goes by Mark Zinno now or something like that. I'll stream him online and see what he has to say. Should be interesting since he's a NYC guy and a Giants fan at heart. He's probably more objective. Maybe I'll call in or send an e-mail or something.

So, not sure any of you know or if I mentioned it on this board, but after 11 years of calling Memphis home (13 in Tennessee total with the first two years in Nashville), I moved to Baltimore on August 1. I come by my Bengals penance honestly, having grown up in Cincy, remember watching games first as a six year old somewhere around 1976. I am old enough to have fully enjoyed both Super Bowl runs.

At any rate, this is my first time in 38 years on this earth living in the city of a division foe.

So perhaps you all are interested in the local chatter. If so, read on throughout the week. Consider this my shout out to Duus, wherever he might be.

What I can tell you as of 8:30 pm on Tuesday night:

---Baltimore fans remain obsessed with the Steelers. It is unseemly. The Bengals don't merit much mention at all on local radio, even with the game coming up. The general consensus among talk show hosts and callers is this week's game is a gimme. They expect no resistance, and are looking ahead, in large measure to the Vikings in two weeks.

---Baltimore fans are on hour 52 heading to hour 53 of a community and region wide bitch session over the refs from Sunday's loss to New England. Not saying they don't have a right to be upset over some of the calls that protected Brady, but, damn, nut up, people. That wasn't why Baltimore lost that game, no matter how much you all try to spin it that way. Turn on a local radio show, and the calls are still 80% complaining about the refs, 15% talking about how awesome the Ravens are and looking ahead to their games with Pittsburgh later this year, and perhaps 4% worrying a bit about their defense and spitting venom at Mark Clayton for the 4th down drop to "lose the game". Around 1% mention the Bengals up to this point in the week, even with a game with a 3-1 division foe looming. So, yeah, the fanbase is not real worried about this one.

---Not much chatter from the team yet, what little there has been has involved the organization protesting the calls from Sunday to the league office. Notice a theme? I can't imagine Harbaugh won't have them focused come Sunday, but they are still living a bit in the very recent past as of Tuesday night.

---Heard scattered chatter tonight on a few of the shows that Gaither is indeed out this weekend. For what it's worth.

So, to recap, as of tonight, (1) angry with refs (2) taking win this weekend for granted (3) discussing what Steelers are up to.

More tomorrow night.

I also gave a shout out to Duus earlier this month on the smack forum. Duus the greatest Steeler hater of all time on the Bzone. What ever happened to that guy? .

I also gave a shout out to Duus earlier this month on the smack forum. Duus the greatest Steeler hater of all time on the Bzone. What ever happened to that guy? .

Wish I knew. In this economy he may have lost his job and is simply trying to survive.

And MY duus fear? That he succumbed to living in Pittsburgh and now wears yellow and black.

Jesus! Let's go the whole nine yards and say he moved in with his boyfriend too. :rolleyes:

I just had to pick myself up from the floor from laughing so hard. Well played, sir.