Thoughts about the Bengals @ Saints game

Granted it's preseason, but here's my top ten take...

#1: Carson still doesn't look like his old self.

#2: Chad can still play when he so desires.

#3: Coles was a good signing.

#4: As much as I was against it, re-signing Henry is looking like a good move.

#5: The problem of the defense pressuring the opposing QB remains a problem.

#6: Penalties are still killing drives. This drives me absolutely crazy!

#7:Jerome Simpson showed some potential.

#8: Jordan Palmer showed much more mobility in the pocket than the other QB's who took snaps tonight.

#9: Despite the turnover, I think Benson will get his 1000 yards.

#10: Play calling continues to be too predictable.

Thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Offense looked Rusty but has some nice plays...Good start overall

-Defense 1st unit was Sick,God do I love Crocker

-Special Teams Larson Who? Huber <3 <3 <3 gogo 5th round punter

-Our 1st vs Saints 1st I think we were better,2nd vs 2nd I still felt we were better...

-Saints are Better when it's their 1st team going against our 2nd team,Their 2nd team going against our 3rd team

-Michael Johnson made some nice plays announcers better learn he's not a jackson..

-Scott Looked really good behind the inferior Oline,Can't wait to see him run behind the starters.

What I saw tonight was an NFL team in its first preseason game. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary.

Not even the lob sided amount of penalties? Cincinnati had 7 for 62 yards. The Saints had just 3 for 25.

#8: Jordan Palmer showed much more mobility in the pocket than the other QB's who took snaps tonight.

Thoughts?

I agree with all of it, though I think the play calling was better. They ran the ball more and from varied formations. I'd add a number 11 to your list and say that Bernard Scott looks like he could be a real contributor.

Thoughts?

I agree with all of it, though I think the play calling was better. They ran the ball more and from varied formations. I'd add a number 11 to your list and say that Bernard Scott looks like he could be a real contributor.

True. I should have added him on with Jerome Simpson.

First team defense looked great in limited action.

First team O-Line gave Palmer nice protection.

Chris Henry probably singlehandedly gave Jason David his walking papers from the Saints.

Bernard Scott was a LOT OF FUN to watch.

Mistakes were costly and too numerous.

Agree with all the above, although Henry had six inches on David, so I think it's more on the Saints coaches who decided not to double team Henry or switch coverage after the first time David got burned. Wasn't really is fault.

Thoughts?

I respectfully disagree with #1. The big thing you wanted to see in re Palmer tonight was how the elbow was going to hold up. I thought he had remarkable accuracy, zip and strength given the injury and the fact that he hasn't thrown in a game situation in about ten months. I also thought he didn't look as jittery behind the line, he seemed more comfortable waiting in the pocket and had more confidence in his protection. The interception was thrown just as he got hit. It'll happen. But I didn't leave the game thinking Palmer's sky was falling.

I agree with the other nine.

-Too many penalties

-Worried about our backups at QB in the event of an injury.

-Scott is going to be a steal.

-Would like to get Andre Smith in ASAP, I'm not confident in Anthony Collins.

-Can't judge too much defensively since we're really vanilla as coaches like to say in the pre-season, but I was impressed by tackling we really didn't miss many tackles. Crocker definitely is going to hit hard, as well as Williams.

-Kyle Cook is a huge upgrade over Girl-check

-Palmer still a little rusty since he hasn't played in 11 games, but I'm not worried one bit.

-Benson is definitely an upgrade over Perry and Johnson.

I'd like to give a shoutout for whitworth

1st was Cutting ahead of Vilma until Coles could make the play knocking him out (Very nice play by Coles)

2nd Running down Field to recover the Fumble ,Which was also a Nice save by Caldwell...

It was nice to see because alot of times Linemen tend to just Jog once the runner is past them but Whitworth kept thundering down the field...Props to Whit!

It's hard to have any thoughts until we know for sure about Carson's ankle. He's in a boot, and despite his assurances that he is okay, I am not assured.

If anything is seriously wrong with him and he has to miss a bunch of time, this season is over before it starts.

And this pre-season was more important than most for a vet QB like him, given his lost time last year and his trying out his elbow and getting his throwing rhythm back.

I am so f**kin' tired of this team being snake-bit, I can't begin to put it into words.

well I think carson was deffinatly rusty the Oline was solid enough for a first preseason game carson got hurt on an overload blitz so that was the backs fault. Benson looked strong, Chad was impressive so was coles, Slim was outstanding and bernard scott is gonna be something special what a steal. The one thing that was a problem was once again the lack of a pass rush granted its the first game so I hope it improves but it was a problem on the 2 TD passes by the saints.

Overall I'm seeing promising signs

Palmer showed some rust. That's for sure. But he didn't play most of last season, so that's what the preseason is for. And even with that rust he managed to lead a drive of nearly 90 yards. The INT was bad. He had a good deal of time on that play, but he let one defender cause him to panic.

All that said, I don't think he looked as bad as some of you... and I certainly didn't get the feeling he was 'scared' while he was out there. I just think we all got spoiled by how ridiculously good he was a couple years ago. Now, after a string of injuries it will take him a while to get back to that form - if he ever gets there again. But after seeing a couple other preseason games, I think it's easy to forget that Palmer in his current form is still better than 90% of the QB's in the league.

the things that bothered me the most are the same dumb mistakes marvin's teams have made in the past.

turnovers, penalties, missed field goals, no sacks, giving up big plays. unless marvin can get those problems corrected. i don't think this team is going to be much more than 8-8 if they get lucky. the have talent as does every team, what makes winners and losers, is the teams that wins does not make those same mistakes over and over again. every positive drive the first team had was killed by a dumb mistake. those mistakes cost the bengals the win last night. the bengals looked like they had way more talent than the saint's but they took advantage of our mistakes and beat us. yea i know it's pre season but who likes to lose. especially when we shot our self's in the foot.

one more thing, the bengals bringing in zimmer and fitzgerald are two of marv and mikey's better decisions. marv talked about wanting to change the offense. then why did marv not learn from his defense and bring in a new O.C and o-line coach? don't try to defend them they are garbage. brat's predictable poor play calling, and alexander great track record of 1 that's right 1 probowler and 1 quality o-line here in his 18 years here. and the way the first team D looked last night. night and day from the offense in being prepared for the game. it's a shame most fans see it but marvin does not.

I agree with most everything said here. Palmer did look rusty, and I seriously hope it's just a mild sprain. That said, the backs and tight ends need to work on their blitz pick ups. The offensive line did their jobs last night, but Palmer got hit almost every time the Saints blitzed. The oline can't block more than five people. The backs and TE's have to help, too. They need to get that taken care of. One play that stands out is that one of our backs (not sure which, may have been Benson) completely whiffed on a blitzing linebacker and Palmer got drilled. That CAN'T keep happening.

The OL gave Carson some time against a good front seven, I thought Carson looked steady

Huber is 10 times better than Larson

RBs looked good, really liked Scott

no pass rush

Our first unit D is good, Brees won player of the year and we kinda kept him in check

I think they need to get ASmith signed, he may make this OL very very good.

What I saw tonight was an NFL team in its first preseason game. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary.

Not even the lob sided amount of penalties? Cincinnati had 7 for 62 yards. The Saints had just 3 for 25.

It needs to be fixed but it didn't bug me that much.

Look, let's review: we have 4 of 5 guys on the oline playing new roles or starting for the first time. Our QB only played 4 games last year. Our starting FB didn't play at all. Our QB and starting RB have never played a live game together. Our No. 1 and 2 TEs went down in camp.

And in the first thing resembling live action they have to go up against a stacked Saints dline.

In short, last night ought to have been a debacle for the first team o. Instead, they largely moved the ball at will and the only ting that stopped them was themselves -- turnovers.

That's what really needs to stop. The penalties I can take, because this team is built to pick up chunks. I have way more confidence in the o with 20 yards to go. It's when they need to pick up 1 that I worry.

It needs to be fixed but it didn't bug me that much.

Look, let's review: we have 4 of 5 guys on the oline playing new roles or starting for the first time. Our QB only played 4 games last year. Our starting FB didn't play at all. Our QB and starting RB have never played a live game together. Our No. 1 and 2 TEs went down in camp.

And in the first thing resembling live action they have to go up against a stacked Saints dline.

In short, last night ought to have been a debacle for the first team o. Instead, they largely moved the ball at will and the only ting that stopped them was themselves -- turnovers.

That's what really needs to stop. The penalties I can take, because this team is built to pick up chunks. I have way more confidence in the o with 20 yards to go. It's when they need to pick up 1 that I worry.

They did look woefully inadequate in short yardage situations last night....again.

1. If that is what a good oline looks like, I'd hate to see what a bad one looks like.

2. Huber's hang time looks fine to me. He will be instrumental this season in the field position battle.

3. Scott looks like the ideal guy to spell Benson.

4. Coles was a good pickup.

5. Henry against the scrubs is always fun to watch.

6. Crocker is the real deal. Finally a safety with some stick.

7. I thought Jordan Palmer looked much better than last season.

8. Benson looks quicker.

Overall? The defense is much improved and actually seems to have some depth at all positions except CB. As long as Hall and Joseph can stay healthy, this could be one of the better Bengal defenses. The offense, on the other hand, has a lot of work to do. We saw flashes of the brilliance that is Carson Palmer. But 2 holding penalties, 2 pretty hard shots to the QB, and a sprained ankle, all in one quarter, is not what you want to see. And heaven help them if one of the oline starters goes down.

Last night I felt like carson was skittish and nervous and the offense as a whole seemed rushed and a little confused. After watching highlights today and some parts from the game I think it was mostly my nervousness for the season coming through. In retrospect carson hung in there, delivered crisp passes right on the money (minus the interception . . .) and the pressure they received was due to more rushers than blockers. I didn't see any huge blocking miscues (like the saints had when Dhani blitzed and nearly killed brees). That is greatly encouraging to me. The holding penalties are to be expected at this point and I was more encouraged by no false start penalties. It was great seeing chad and carson hookup again, chris henry is looking dangerous, bernard scott was great as well. Lots to be excited about in my opinion.

On a final note, after watching that interception again, I was shocked to see both that whit kept up with Vilma down the sideline and that Caldwell looked like a man sprinting next to guys jogging -- he comes in there like a rocket. I didn't know he had those kinds of wheels!

1. If that is what a good oline looks like, I'd hate to see what a bad one looks like.

First, I don't think anyone in this thread used the words good and oline in the same sentence except for you. Yes they have work to do, but it was NOT the catastrophe you "predicted" it would be. Aside from that, every time I saw Palmer get hit, it was because a back or TE failed to pick up someone blitzing. That's hardly the oline's fault.

All in all, I'd say in pass protection they did fairly decent. They need to improve on their run blocking, however. Benson did have a couple of nice gains, but for the most part they weren't making too many holes for him to run through.

First, I don't think anyone in this thread used the words good and oline in the same sentence except for you. Yes they have work to do, but it was NOT the catastrophe you "predicted" it would be. Aside from that, every time I saw Palmer get hit, it was because a back or TE failed to pick up someone blitzing. That's hardly the oline's fault.

All in all, I'd say in pass protection they did fairly decent. They need to improve on their run blocking, however. Benson did have a couple of nice gains, but for the most part they weren't making too many holes for him to run through.

I was satisfied with the first string pass protection from the oline for the first preseason game. I figure it will continue to improve, especially (I hope) when/if Smith joins the team.

Here's what scares me. I don't know how much Smith can improve the running game being that he's on the right side. The majority of runs are through the middle or to the left. Seems that side needs immediate attention, but it's pretty much set in stone, so where do you go?

I was satisfied with the first string pass protection from the oline for the first preseason game. I figure it will continue to improve, especially (I hope) when/if Smith joins the team.

Here's what scares me. I don't know how much Smith can improve the running game being that he's on the right side. The majority of runs are through the middle or to the left. Seems that side needs immediate attention, but it's pretty much set in stone, so where do you go?

I think the addition of Smith will be good for the run game. They can start running behind him when he gets in there just like the used to run behind Willie when he was in his prime. If most of the runs went to the left last night it was because Whitworth is a better run blocker than Collins. Also, as far as runs up the middle, I think the more time Cook gets playing, the better he'll become.