Mike Brown a genius for not having a bubble...

mgi

1. Bad weather during practice means move inside, instead of having to cancel practice.

First, how many practices have the Bengals cancelled due to extreme weather? One? Six? Twenty? None at all? Can you even offer an educated guess? I doubt it.

Second, don't the Bengals have the option of moving practice into the more sheltered environment of PBS? And doesn't that facility boast state of the art Field Turf, full medical facilities, acres of exercise equipment, basketball courts, and all of the teams permanent offices? So how many of these things would you have them duplicate simply so they can have a roof over their heads when they practice, but not when they play?

Third, the Cowboys moved the practice into a bubble due to high winds, right? Yet poor construction or not, that team moved it's practices indoors despite posted warnings about the facility being unsafe to occupy in winds of 70 mph. Should the building have survived winds of that speed? Yes, but that actually misses the bigger point. That being, no one should ever move practice into an inflatable building to escape such a storm.

2. Better to prepare for dome games by practicing inside

So the 2nd most important factor in determining whether the Bengals need an indoor practice facility is based upon the ability to better prepare for those occasions when there won't be any weather at all? That's priceless.

3. Carson and Company could use an indoor facility to practice during the offseason when it is 20 degrees and snowing outside.

There's plenty of existing room available inside of PBS for the types of practice described above. In fact, Marvin Lewis has admitted the only types of practices that can't be accomodated are full squad workouts, and that's an easy adjustment to make by staggering practice times. Furthermore, on the infamous occasion where the team bused it's players to a nearby privately owned facility several NFL teams were unable to practice at all due to the extreme conditions making their expensive indoor practice facilities unusable due to frozen pipes, no electricity, or uncleared roads. (Washington, Indianapolis, and Denver)

4. Every other cold weather team has one.

Yup, and what's more I hear Dallas needs a new one. So who wants to bet they replace their crumpled trashbag with a much more expensive brick and mortar replacement? (The type of facility the Bengals have no use for.)

So basically, your reasoning as to why we don't need an indoor practice facility is:

1. The Bengals can work around the inconveniences of not having one.

2. The roof just crashed in Dallas.

Did I miss any other reasons?

Oh, by the way, I can count 2 times last season they canceled practice due to lightning. I'm sure there are more...do your own research. That's 2 practices at least where the opposition got more time in then we did. Is that a huge deal? Probably not. But in the NFL, teams are ALWAYS looking for that edge, no matter how small. All those little things add up.

Anyway...your two reasons still don't discount my statement that having an indoor facility makes the Cincinnati Bengals a better team for the 4 reasons I just listed among other reasons. Can they work around it? Sure. Do they "have to have it?" Clearly they do not, or they would have one. But would it make them a better team? I believe that it would, and you still have not brought anything tangible to the table to say otherwise.

So basically, your reasoning as to why we don't need an indoor practice facility is:

1. The Bengals can work around the inconveniences of not having one.

2. The roof just crashed in Dallas.

Where's the inconvenience of not having one? The Bengals can practice outside the stadium, on the regular stadium field, or perform walk-thrus inside the stadium. That's as convenient as things get. Or would you prefer the players be shipped off-site whenever the clouds grow dark? Besides, the Bengals rarely cancel practices now and your theory that an indoor practice facility needs to be built just so the Bengals can practice for dome games is as stupid as any I've ever heard.

"Get ready, Carson. We're about to turn up the air conditioning."

Oh, by the way, I can count 2 times last season they canceled practice due to lightning. I'm sure there are more...do your own research. That's 2 practices at least where the opposition got more time in then we did. Is that a huge deal? Probably not. But in the NFL, teams are ALWAYS looking for that edge, no matter how small. All those little things add up.

Actually, they add up to nothing....precisely because you're not supposed to occupy an indoor practice bubble in extreme weather. Didn't the collapse in Dallas teach you anything?

Can they work around it? Sure. Do they "have to have it?" Clearly they do not, or they would have one.

And there it is. If they needed it they would have it. Yet not only don't the Bengals have one...they've shown very little interest in building one, even if it comes on the cheap.

But would it make them a better team? I believe that it would, and you still have not brought anything tangible to the table to say otherwise.

Did they need a practice bubble to reach the playoffs in 2005? No, they didn't. In fact, the only thing required for this team to make the playoffs every year is better football related decisions, and plenty of them.

Where's the inconvenience of not having one?

Really? Again? :huh: I'm not going to repeat myself.

The Bengals can practice outside the stadium, on the regular stadium field, or perform walk-thrus inside the stadium. That's as convenient as things get.

Actually, no it is NOT "as convenient as things get." "As convenient as things get" would be when they are able to get a full practice in, regardless of the weather outside.

Or would you prefer the players be shipped off-site whenever the clouds grow dark?

What?

Besides, the Bengals rarely cancel practices now

But they do get canceled don't they... And when they get canceled, does that give the Bengals an advantage or the other team an advantage? Take your time on this one... its a tricky one.

and your theory that an indoor practice facility needs to be built just so the Bengals can practice for dome games is as stupid as any I've ever heard.

Then why bother with any aspect of game simulation during practice? (game noise, weather, etc) I guess you're right and the rest of the NFL is wrong? Seriously...you are dead wrong here, as usual.

Actually, they add up to nothing....precisely because you're not supposed to occupy an indoor practice bubble in extreme weather. Didn't the collapse in Dallas teach you anything?

Again with the Dallas horses**t... Nobody retreats to the bubble if it is "too windy." You practice in the bubble:

1. When it is applicable to do so from a gametime simulation standpoint

2. Lightning, etc

You can keep repeating your baloney over and over again, less and less people are buying it each time you type it.

And there it is. If they needed it they would have it. Yet not only don't the Bengals have one...they've shown very little interest in building one, even if it comes on the cheap.

You've lost everyone now. How is the view in there? (up soP's ass)

Did they need a practice bubble to reach the playoffs in 2005? No, they didn't. In fact, the only thing required for this team to make the playoffs every year is better football related decisions, and plenty of them.

You mean that 1 season in 18 where the Bengals actually had a winning record and made the playoffs? THAT season? Well, you've got me there, HOF. The Bengals did not need an indoor practice facility in 2005 to make the playoffs. But perhaps they could have used one in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008 when they missed the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Seriously, your stance is pretty much running on fumes at this point. And I have a pretty good idea where those fumes are coming from. :D

It's just one big anomaly....a coincidence I tell you. One of the biggest failures in the history of professional sports and somehow, it is never the Owner's fault.

It's as simple as this:

Successful teams have adequate Scouting Departments. The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

Successful teams have adequate Player Personnel Departments (not counting brothers, cousins, uncles...). The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

Successful teams have adequate practice facilities. The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

The Bengals are not perennially terrible because they do not have an adequate bad weather facility......it's just another thing.

Really? Again? :huh: I'm not going to repeat myself.

Why not? Is it because you're starting to feel stupid writing about the need for teams to prepare for playing in a dome stadiums sterile conditions?

Actually, no it is NOT "as convenient as things get." "As convenient as things get" would be when they are able to get a full practice in, regardless of the weather outside.

You keep talking about shipping the players to an off-site location like it was a grade school field trip. In reality the only time the Bengals have felt the need to bus players to an off-site practice facility was during conditions so extreme police had advised everyone in Cincy to stay off of the roads if possible. Best, those conditions were so extreme they actually shut down the indoor practice facilities of several other NFL teams, including Washington, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Denver.

But they [practices] do get canceled don't they... And when they get canceled, does that give the Bengals an advantage or the other team an advantage? Take your time on this one... its a tricky one.

There's nothing tricky about it. You simply weigh the costs of an occasional missed practice againt the cost of building an indoor practice facility that won't be needed more than a day or two a year. And again, in many extreme weather conditions an inflatable bubble is the last place a person should go in search of safety. For example, in high winds. Or when lightning storms are expected. Or when there's been a heavy accumulation of snow that could collapse roofs or even entire building constructed out of hefty bags and air.

Then why bother with any aspect of game simulation during practice? (game noise, weather, etc) I guess you're right and the rest of the NFL is wrong?

The Bengals have on occasion dealt with the problem of crowd noise in exactly the same manner as other NFL teams by moving practice to the stadium itself....using the stadiums PA system to simulate the noise generated by 60k drunken fools. You on the other hand would send them off to a remotely located bubble which typically don't have comparable PA capabilities. In fact, most inflatable practice bubbles don't have any PA capabilities at all. Of course those types of things can often be added at an additional cost, right? And to that list of upgrades you could conceivably add other items like a full weight room, trainers room, full medical capabilities, team offices, etc. In other words, everything the team already has at PBS.

Again with the Dallas horses**t... Nobody retreats to the bubble if it is "too windy."

Well that simply isn't true, is it? There are still people hospitalized because somebody thought it best to get in out of the wind, right? Regardless, one of the reasons most often given for building a practice bubble is to reduce the impact of wind and rain during practices. But there's the rub because teams better prepare for the game conditions they'll play in by practicing in those same types of conditions...not by perfecting their technique under conditions that won't be repeated during the game itself. So if the forcast calls for wind and rain then you better prepare for those conditions by holding practice in the wind and rain.

Well, you've got me there, HOF. The Bengals did not need an indoor practice facility in 2005 to make the playoffs. But perhaps they could have used one in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008 when they missed the playoffs.

Actually, I do have you there...but you're too stupid to realize it. Because the Bengals playoff berth in 2005 disproves any idea that this team is at a competitive disadvantage due to not having a practice bubble. All that was required that year was better players, better health, and perhaps a less negative fanbase that wasn't constantly harping about crap that doesn't matter.

Actually, I do have you there...but you're too stupid to realize it. Because the Bengals playoff berth in 2005 disproves any idea that this team is at a competitive disadvantage due to not having a practice bubble. All that was required that year was better players, better health, and perhaps a less negative fanbase that wasn't constantly harping about crap that doesn't matter.

For those of you playing at home folks, his rationale here is because we went one and out in the 2005 playoffs, that "disproves any idea that this team is at a competitive disadvantage due to not having a practice bubble." Nevermind the other 17 years.

:D

This guy is a clown. Not even Mike Brown would be this much of a company man.

It's as simple as this:

Successful teams have adequate Scouting Departments. The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

The Bengals, who didn't add a single scout, just had a draft that even their harshest critics are gushing about.

Successful teams have adequate Player Personnel Departments (not counting brothers, cousins, uncles...). The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

Most fans seem pretty happy about this years FA crop.

Successful teams have adequate practice facilities. The Bengals do not, and they always suck.

The Bengals have great practice facilities. What they lack is a giant bubble crowned with an enormous snarling tiger logo that will either stand empty and unused foor all but a few days a year OR would be used more often simply in an attempt to justify the cost.

The Bengals are not perennially terrible because they do not have an adequate bad weather facility......

Exactly.

......it's just another thing.

I'd rather have a fleet of private planes, big and small, all painted in tiger stripes. Maybe a Lear for flying player families in for visits. And a huge corporate jet with most of the seating rows removed to make way for fully reclining oversized seats. That would be great for those pesky away games, right? And a helicopter for those FA flyovers of the stadium that are all the rage right now. Oh, and how about a restored P-40 Warhawk painted in authentic Flying Tiger colors!

Yeah, that's what I want. Airplanes and helicopters. And a pony.

For those of you playing at home folks, his rationale here is because we went one and out in the 2005 playoffs, that "disproves any idea that this team is at a competitive disadvantage due to not having a practice bubble." Nevermind the other 17 years.

Q - Put David Klingler in a practice bubble and what have you got?

A - One very full trash bag.

For those of you scoring at home the idiot known as Bearcat has repeatedly attempted to make the point that the Bengals miserable won/loss record is directly the result of not having a bubble. I countered by saying this idea was stupid, or if you prefer...Bearcatish.

I then stated flatly my belief the Bengals poor record was the result of poor decision making on actual football related issues, and I used 2005 as an example showing what happens when a team gets it right more often than they get it wrong.

And predictably, this response prompted Bearcatish to mock the very same idea he had used a half dozen times already, that a seasons won/loss record, good or bad, is relevant.

In short, when the Bengals win it's not relevant to Bearcatish. But if they lose it's all that matters.

Frankly, all of this bubble crap seems like nothing more a bunch of whining little dinks looking for the next thing to complain about.

In short, when the Bengals win it's not relevant to Bearcatish. But if they lose it's all that matters.

Stripehype tipped me to a recent post on WhoDeyRevolution by the founder of the site. He said that if the Bengals have a winning season in 2009 it would prove nothing. Winning proves nothing. Losing proves everything. WTF?

For those of you scoring at home the idiot known as Bearcat has repeatedly attempted to make the point that the Bengals miserable won/loss record is directly the result of not having a bubble. I countered by saying this idea was stupid, or if you prefer...Bearcatish.

Nope. Try again. I never said it was THE reason they suck. I said it was A REASON they suck. In a league of unprecedented parity, Mike Brown continually finds new ways to handicap his own franchise for personal profit. Just as HairOnFire continually finds new ways to tongue Mike Brown's anus for personal anus tonguing profit. :lol:

I then stated flatly my belief the Bengals poor record was the result of poor decision making on actual football related issues,

Which I agree with, I just dont think it is the ONLY reason they suck.

and I used 2005 as an example showing what happens when a team gets it right more often than they get it wrong.

Ah yes, the blind squirrel year you keep falling back on. Yep. 1 winning season in 18. No problems here... :rolleyes:

And predictably, this response prompted Bearcatish to mock the very same idea he had used a half dozen times already, that a seasons won/loss record, good or bad, is relevant.

Now he is back to the jibberish again... :huh:

Frankly, all of this bubble crap seems like nothing more a bunch of whining little dinks looking for the next thing to complain about.

No, its just one of many self-handicaps from Mike Brown to his franchise. If it sounds like whining to you, its because you are one of those people that has a problem whenever anyone points out glaring issues withing the Bengal organization. Which is fine... I mean, the world needs cheerleaders too. But when the men are talking football, you'll have to excuse us if we laugh you out of the room and tell you to get back under Mike Brown's desk where you belong.

Stripehype tipped me to a recent post on WhoDeyRevolution by the founder of the site. He said that if the Bengals have a winning season in 2009 it would prove nothing. Winning proves nothing. Losing proves everything. WTF?

WDR folks are a bunch of misguided fans who clearly have not heard of revenue sharing. If they had heard of revenue sharing, they would know that all their little protests and toilet bowl hockey pucks don't mean a thing because no matter what, Mike Brown gets 1/32 of the NFL cut.

Somehow though, in HOF's little fantasy world, he has associated me with them. Not surprising, given his lack of basic reading comprehension and cause/effect reasoning skills.

Back to your topic though, I would say that winning proves everything. But one winning record in 18 years proves that somebody needs a new plan. We all know that will never happen though, so you'll never see me down there protesting. But I'm not going to act like all these glaring self-handicaps for soP profit aren't there... to me that isn't being a fan. That is just being delusional.

WDR folks are a bunch of misguided fans who clearly have not heard of revenue sharing. If they had heard of revenue sharing, they would know that all their little protests and toilet bowl hockey pucks don't mean a thing because no matter what, Mike Brown gets 1/32 of the NFL cut.

Somehow though, in HOF's little fantasy world, he has associated me with them. Not surprising, given his lack of basic reading comprehension and cause/effect reasoning skills.

If you could comprehend what you've read you'd realize I didn't associate you with WDR. No kidding, all I did is describe you as a whining little dink looking for something to complain about. That prompted COB to remark about something said by the whining little dinks at WDR. So if you're upset about being associated with those types then take it up with COB.

All things considered Bearcat, maybe you should have spent more time tounging the ass pipe of your elementary school teachers rather than media hacks like Paul Daugherty.

I never said it was THE reason they suck. I said it was A REASON they suck.

Wow, you back down just like a little girl.

No, its just one of many self-handicaps from Mike Brown to his franchise.

Then pick one that actually matters instead of whining and bitching about how the team needs a freaking bubble so it can prepare for dome games played under perfect conditions. Do you have any idea how stupid you sound when spouting that line of crap?

If it sounds like whining to you, its because you are one of those people that has a problem whenever anyone points out glaring issues withing the Bengal organization.

But it's not a glaring issue. You've admitted as much. It's just a big juicy looking target for the lunatic fringe to yammer on and on about. Worse, you're the type of dink who won't drop a negative rant you cherished as long as this one even after a bubble pops and comes crashing down.

I'd rather have a fleet of private planes, big and small, all painted in tiger stripes. Maybe a Lear for flying player families in for visits. And a huge corporate jet with most of the seating rows removed to make way for fully reclining oversized seats. That would be great for those pesky away games, right? And a helicopter for those FA flyovers of the stadium that are all the rage right now. Oh, and how about a restored P-40 Warhawk painted in authentic Flying Tiger colors!

Yeah, that's what I want. Airplanes and helicopters. And a pony.

Well, I guess you got me there. The good teams have adequate facilities, because it's cool. Playoff teams have Player Personnel Departments consisting of more than 2 last names, because it's neato! The Bengals are lean and mean baby! Results man, that's what they are all about! Who needs all the fluff?????? They are all about the record.....just look at the record.........er........never mind.

Have you ever wondered why the same crowd of always negative posters are the source of most of the misinformation spread on this board? Seriously, it's always the same two or three guys....and I'm betting you all knew who I'm talking about without me bothering to name them.

Anyways, here's the official UC response to the ridiculous piece of crap Kid Steakhouse found on WDR and then spewed here.

As with all things Steakhouse, garbage in...garbage out.

UC's Arkeilpane: No truth to internet report about Bengals

Posted by BKoch at 5/6/2009 8:11 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

For all of you who are riled up about an internet report that says UC contacted the Bengals about moving some of their games to PBS this fall only to have the Bengals attempt to gouge them with an outlandish price, here's the response from Bob Arkeilpane, deputy director of athletics at UC and the administrator in charge of football: "That's not accurate." UC has not attempted to move any of its 2009 games to PBS, Arkeilpane said. The Bengals did approach UC to ask if they would like to play there, but the discussions never reached the point where Arkeilpane would even know what the charge would be. "Whoever is putting that information out there obviously didn't have the facts," Arkeilpane said. UC is scheduled to play Oklahoma at PBS, but that was already in the contract between the two schools. Arkeilpane said that UC's focus for the future is to keep its games on campus at Nippert Stadium. As I reported a week or so ago, they have hired a firm to study Nippert and are still waiting for the results of that study before deciding how to proceed. UC did meet with the Bengals about an indoor practice facility when the idea was first broached, but the Bengals did not indicate one way or the other if they were interested, Arkeilpane said, because at the time UC did not have enough information to provide them that would enable them to make a decision. So there you have it.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

Have you ever wondered why the same crowd of always negative posters are the source of most of the misinformation spread on this board? Seriously, it's always the same two or three guys....and I'm betting you all knew who I'm talking about without me bothering to name them.

Anyways, here's the official UC response to the ridiculous piece of crap Kid Steakhouse found on WDR and then spewed here.

As with all things Steakhouse, garbage in...garbage out.

UC's Arkeilpane: No truth to internet report about Bengals

Posted by BKoch at 5/6/2009 8:11 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

For all of you who are riled up about an internet report that says UC contacted the Bengals about moving some of their games to PBS this fall only to have the Bengals attempt to gouge them with an outlandish price, here's the response from Bob Arkeilpane, deputy director of athletics at UC and the administrator in charge of football: "That's not accurate." UC has not attempted to move any of its 2009 games to PBS, Arkeilpane said. The Bengals did approach UC to ask if they would like to play there, but the discussions never reached the point where Arkeilpane would even know what the charge would be. "Whoever is putting that information out there obviously didn't have the facts," Arkeilpane said. UC is scheduled to play Oklahoma at PBS, but that was already in the contract between the two schools. Arkeilpane said that UC's focus for the future is to keep its games on campus at Nippert Stadium. As I reported a week or so ago, they have hired a firm to study Nippert and are still waiting for the results of that study before deciding how to proceed. UC did meet with the Bengals about an indoor practice facility when the idea was first broached, but the Bengals did not indicate one way or the other if they were interested, Arkeilpane said, because at the time UC did not have enough information to provide them that would enable them to make a decision. So there you have it.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com

Dr. Vague Subject Changer, they call him.

Poor Debate technique #14: Attack a posters reputation when your debate stance is weak and without merit. Anything to change the subject and direct attention away from how stupid your stance is here.

Pwned, dude. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself at this point.

I'm afraid to say that you're running behind, Hair. WDR has already issued multiple rebuttals to the Enquirer report. These can be summed up as follows:

"Look, over there, a unicorn!"

In my defense I'm behind because I never visit the WDR site and thus have to rely on the small army of idiots and pinheads who not only read that crap, but somehow find it credible enough to repost here. In this sad example Kid Steakhouse did the honors and then closed by adding his own lame flourish about how UC should tell the Bengals to stuff it. So in the end his primary contribution to this thread, and nearly all others as well, was adding deliberately inflamatory misinformation topped by his own misinformed opinion.

I'm not kidding about this. Some of you clowns are worse than worthless.