The Bengals will draft Beanie Wells!

icehole3

Beanie couldn't stay healthy in the Big 10, what gives anyone the idea he can stay healthy in the meatgrinder/NFL?

This sounds like something Mike would do, look at your team that has just been afflicted with a drastic wave of injuries, then draft a guy who frequently gets injured. And he drafts this injury prone guy to replace two running backs, also day one picks, who couldn't get or stay healthy (Perry and Irons).

Depression sets in.

Beanie couldn't stay healthy in the Big 10, what gives anyone the idea he can stay healthy in the meatgrinder/NFL?

This sounds like something Mike would do, look at your team that has just been afflicted with a drastic wave of injuries, then draft a guy who frequently gets injured. And he drafts this injury prone guy to replace two running backs, also day one picks, who couldn't get or stay healthy (Perry and Irons).

Depression sets in.

I agree it could be Wells. Crabtree is another good one. Shock sets in if a LT or RT is picked. Whatever, since when as a first round pick worked out as pro bowl caliber? Carson in 2003. Everyone of the others, except Rivers, is either a bust on the field or out of the game.

Right now, the Bengals have the No. 2 pick, and the way they are playing, their hold on the slot is solid. At that point in the draft, OT is a virtual lock. And the Bengals have never shown any reluctance to spend a top pick on a tackle when necessary, which with Andrews walking and Levi's leg falling off, it is, even if Collins is for real.

If they somehow manage to win a game or two in the final weeks and dip to, oh, 5th then I could easily see them being stupid and taking Wells or Crabtree. But not at 2.

Right now, the Bengals have the No. 2 pick, and the way they are playing, their hold on the slot is solid. At that point in the draft, OT is a virtual lock. And the Bengals have never shown any reluctance to spend a top pick on a tackle when necessary, which with Andrews walking and Levi's leg falling off, it is, even if Collins is for real.

If they somehow manage to win a game or two in the final weeks and dip to, oh, 5th then I could easily see them being stupid and taking Wells or Crabtree. But not at 2.

Sorry, Hoosier - I believe just the opposite. If we have the #2 pick idiot-Mikey will get a 'skills' player, no doubt about it. The $$$$ between a #2 and #7 pick is HUGE - especially this year, and idiot-Mikey will not pay that kind of dinero for a rookie OL.

If he won't trade down (and he's too stupid to pull that off), it'll be the best skill guy on the board. He might consider a "hot", flavor-of-the-week DE that zooms up the board after working out in shorts (Johnson?), but probably not.

Here is what I see, Mikey Boy will not renew his offensive coaches, that means half of the scouting staff gone, he panics when the Bengals are on the clock at the no.2 spot and grabs Beanie.

Bengals have drafted defense at number 1 for 4 straight years, have little to show for it, but they'll now go offense for their first pick. Common sense says rebuild that line. At their spot, 2 for now, LT is compelling from any perspective, but like I said before they'll probably go Beanie or Crabtree.

The Bengals have been rational in the positions they've addressed for nbr 1 picks, less so in the people they've picked. So maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic that they'll ignore LT for a foolish position like RB or WR. Carson Palmer knows that the line is key to his success and I'm sure he'll be vocal about that. Marvin isn't stupid either, not a good coach obviously, but he knows the importance of a good line. Mike Brown is slipping into a delusional state so no accounting for his thoughts.

If they don't pick a tackle I will kick the TV. All of their problems started with that crappy o-line.

Although the need for an improved o=line is paramount, I'm not sure the Bengals need to pick an OT in the first round.

Last year, 8 linemen went in the 1st 26 picks - Jake Long (1), Clady (12), Williams (14), Albert (G-15), Cheriys (17), Otah (19), Baker (21), and Brown (26). This year, there could be more than 8 with a 1st round grade - Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, Ciron Black, Jason Smith, Eben Britton, Russell Okung, Alex Mack ©, Duke Robinson (G), and even fatty Phil Loadholt. The 2nd round OL look to be pretty damn good - Caldwell, Sam Young, Jonathan Luigs, Jonathan Luigs, Jamon Meredith, Andy Levitre - lots of NFL caliber linemen there.

Unless your name is Matt Millen, Mike Brown, or Andy Reid, teams normally don't draft the same player #1 (or #2) in consecutive years. There should be some great linemen available at the top of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

So, like always, I want us to trade down. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe Brian Orakpo (DE - Texas) will be idiot Mikey's pick. Through 11 games, Orakpo has 15.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks, as he's established himself as the premier defensive end in this draft class. He's 6'4, 260lbs, and if he runs a 4.5 or 4.6 at the combine, he'll wear stripes next year.

I have doubts that Brown would pay even an OT top 5 money - he's never done it before, usually picking a year where they're 10th-13th to do so. So I think that would be a first.

The history has been QB, RB, WR, DE - coincidentally the only positions Brown will pay top $ for, as he thinks he can get by with scrap heap talent everywhere else.

Depression sets in.

I agree it could be Wells. Crabtree is another good one. Shock sets in if a LT or RT is picked. Whatever, since when as a first round pick worked out as pro bowl caliber? Carson in 2003. Everyone of the others, except Rivers, is either a bust on the field or out of the game.

Wouldn't call Hall a bust,He's gotten burnt but we've had some of the worst pass rush and now its gotten even worse.

The Bengals have been rational in the positions they've addressed for nbr 1 picks, less so in the people they've picked.

Very, very true. A better summation of the Bengals' draft history would be hard to find. Like the team, they often have the right idea, but their execution sucks. It's depressing to realize that in the Mike Brown era, the Bengals have actually spent more first round picks on defense than offense -- and the one consistent thing about the team has been its crappy D.

So maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic that they'll ignore LT for a foolish position like RB or WR.

It's actually rare for the Bengals to address either of those slots in the first. They've only taken a wideout in the first once in the Mikey era, Peter Warrick, and only two backs, Ki-Jana and Perry. All three were flops to a greater or lesser extent. Yet another reason I'm not seeing Wells or Crabtree at 2: OT in the first is the only position Mikey hasn't wiffed on.

So, like always, I want us to trade down. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe Brian Orakpo (DE - Texas) will be idiot Mikey's pick. Through 11 games, Orakpo has 15.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks, as he's established himself as the premier defensive end in this draft class. He's 6'4, 260lbs, and if he runs a 4.5 or 4.6 at the combine, he'll wear stripes next year.

DE works for me, though I think 2 is a bit high for Orakpo (who, if drafted by the Bengals, will inevitably fail and be renamed "Okrapo") but with ~$70 million already poured into Not-So-Jumpy, Oww-dom and Fear the Fanene, plus a third invested in the Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert, it's tough to see Mikey ponying up No. 2 coin for another defensive end. Or do you think they might try to pull a Pollack with him?

i am a huge OSU fan have been all my life. chris wells is the best back hands down in all of college football. i will be one pissed off person if they draft wells. the o-line is the #1 reason this team sucks. our 100 million dollar qb is walking around with a busted face and busted elbow because of the sorry o-line. without a o-line you get what you are seeing the bengals do this season, nothing!!!!!!!!! the worst offensive unit in franchise history.

beside if i had my choice of buckeyes in the draft, give me malcom jenkins. this guy is a stud and makes plays where ever the buckeyes put him. the guy blocks punts, bats away and picks off passes and doesn't miss tackles. malcom is the closest thing to a shut down cb, i have seen in a long time.

If it means finally being done with Princess Chad, I would take Crabtree in a heartbeat. However, he is waaaaay ahead of me and has already announced that he is staying at TT. Taking an OT makes sense for any other team. However, with Alexander, it will be a wasted pick per usual. Although, if they use every draft pick for the next 7 years on O-linemen, the line may actually be decent for a year. Of course, they will suck ash the following year, because Alexander is a complete incompetent boob!

Since the offense is stuck in bad coach he!!, they may as well build a defense before Zimmer bolts for a real team. I say DT or DE.

Staying put at #2 equals Smith being drafted. There's not another position that can of money could be spent on and make sense for this team. Trade down and pick up additional picks and that opens up all kinds of options, but the O-line still needs to be addressed HEAVILY. In a perfect world, we trade down, trade Chad and draft both O-line and D-line. Then after that, go after some O-line and D-line. Maybe then a RB, LB, and CB for depth...

Re the draft, from Walt C's mouth to Mike Brown's ears:

1. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

2. George Selvie, DE, South Florida

3. Antoine Caldwell, C, Alabama

Some others of note:

FF Jungle

1. Johnson, Michael, DE Georgia Tech

2. McCoy, LeSean, RB Pittsburgh

Authors note: Yech !

Matt McGuire

1. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

2. LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh

Authors note: Double-Yech! Now THATS an idiot Mikey draft

Michael Abromowitz

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

2. Alex Mack, C, California

Authors note: Works for me !

Draft Tek

1. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

2. Clint Sintim OLB Virginia

3. Fili Moala DT USC

4. Greg Middleton DE Indiana

Authors note: That's just WRONG !

FFToolBox

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

2. George Selvie, DE/OLB, South Florida

3. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

Authors note: Selvie is a 3-4 LB, & Greene's too early!

Other first picks:

Most are split evenly between Smith & Oher, but Draft32 (with the 4th pick) give us - Rey Maualuga MLB (USC)

Ooops - I forgot my perfect draft scenario

1. Trade down twice, including Philly if possible (let's get ANDY to do it!!!)

#17 - James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State - Could become another Urlacher

#28 - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - Can play RT in 2009 and switch to LT in 2010

#34 - Everette Brown, DE, Florida State - What do we have this year...8 sacks?

#38 - Alex Mack, C, California - Centers rarely go in the top 50 - should still be there

#66 - Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty - This years Matt Forte - 6'01" 240lbs runs a 4.45

If we trade Ocho and dump Henry, we select a WR in whichever slot we get for him. I'll take Maclin in the first or Iglesias in the 2nd.

Ta-DA! LOOK! A competitive team !!!