ProFootballCentral.com: Marvin may be out by "end of week"

ShulaSteakhouse

Source: Bengals Could Fire Marvin Lewis By End Of Week

September 29th, 2008 · No Comments

Sources have informed Pro Football Central that the Cincinnati Bengals are nearing toward a decision that could result in head coach Marvin Lewis being fired by the end of the week. The source also states that owner Mike Brown is also deciding upon whether to name assistant head coach Paul Alexander or defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer as the interim head coach. The Bengals are 0-4 for the first time since 2002, when they went a franchise-worst 2-12 that got coach Dick LeBeau fired.

I'm not really buying this. And if they promote Alexander instead of firing his sorry ass, that's it for me I think...not that I haven't already given up on this franchise ever being a "winner" in it's current state.

I also think if Marvin gets the heave-ho this season, it will be a result of him wanting out and doing a Coslet...but I don't know anything, just know Brown's loyal to an extreme fault, and his biggest flaw is not separating business from his personal relationships/feelings when it's needed.

I hope they name paul alexander sack the rest of this season and fire him too at the end of it.... I really do wish marvin may go back DC for season or two but I think he'll get another chance prove himself as a headcoach for a origination who cares about winning rather then turning a good profit for a small market below avg team.

---I also think if Marvin gets the heave-ho this season, it will be a result of him wanting out and doing a Coslet----

Aye i'm sure mikey would keep marvin if it wasn't for marvin if it wasn't for marvin wanting out.

PS,I would prefer zimmer if it wasn't for chance they would fire him after the season doesn't seem like interm coaches stay around after besides for the billls and it seems like it payed off for them

If I'm not mistaken, Marvin is under contract until 2010? I just cant see cheapa$$ Mike Brown firing him, and paying out the contract.....not with 2+ years left on it.

All we can hope is MB is in the early stages Alzheimer's, and forgets about the length of the contract!

If I'm not mistaken, Marvin is under contract until 2010? I just cant see cheapa$$ Mike Brown firing him, and paying out the contract.....not with 2+ years left on it.

Ah, but Marvin has as much reason to get out of town as Mikey has to get rid of him. The longer Marvin stays here, the lower his stock will go when he's on the market in 2010 or 2011, whichever. Marvin and Mikey negotiate a beneficial buy-out for both sides and walk away clean. Why wouldn't Marvin want to get out from under this train wreck and get ready to get on the market come off-season? Heck, maybe the Rams would be interested. Outside chance of Oakland. I don't think Mikey has to pay out the full contract if he plays his cards right.

If Marvin does get fired, I demand that Mike Brown stage a rambling, 45 minute press conference ala Al Davis' show today. That way we can evaluate Mike's lucidity and general mental state. Al graded out at about "would be adjudicated incompetent by any Court, needs a guardian and 24 hour live in care."

If Marvin gets fired the same week Cheech comes back it would be a bizarre sort of harmonious convergence.

Ah, but Marvin has as much reason to get out of town as Mikey has to get rid of him. The longer Marvin stays here, the lower his stock will go when he's on the market in 2010 or 2011, whichever. Marvin and Mikey negotiate a beneficial buy-out for both sides and walk away clean. Why wouldn't Marvin want to get out from under this train wreck and get ready to get on the market come off-season? Heck, maybe the Rams would be interested. Outside chance of Oakland. I don't think Mikey has to pay out the full contract if he plays his cards right.

I can see your sharp lawyer mind working here! ;)

Be it truth or rumor it's pretty sad and speaks volumes for this season that this potential news has me more excited than any part of this disaster we have witnessed thus far. Sad indeed.

I don't believe it either, that was posted yesterday and I've found nothing else on the web talking about it. Its not the Bengals way to do this in the Mike Brown regime. Clearly though things could be changing. Chris Henry was a huge knife in the back to Marvin by Brown. I wonder if the Cedric Benson signing was Marvin's or Brown's doing? If there is tension between the two, then the unheard of, could be the case. Sad though, Marvin came here and did great things to get into the playoffs in 2005. Then its been one disaster after another with his draft picks going sour. Chad turning into a cancer. Levi fading rapidly. Cutting Rudi too soon by the look of his play and the current lousy RB situation. Lots of unforced errors by Marvin, Brown and the organization.

I can see your sharp lawyer mind working here! ;)

Here's how it plays out, Billy:

Marvin: Mike, we need to talk. This relationship isn't working out. It's nobody's fault, but I think we need to see other people. I know you won't pay me completely off, but how about we agree to release me from my contract and pay me for the rest of this season and next? I'll eat 2010 and find a job during the off-season.

SoP: Marvin, I really like you. I like what you've done with this team. The boys respect you and see you as a father figure. I think we are ready to turn that corner any day now. It disappoints me you want to leave just as the team is getting ready to break out. However, if you really want to go, I'll cut you loose now, but I'm not paying you anything.

Marvin: Mike, please understand. It's not you; it's me. You've run a great organization here. You've always had my back and given me nothing but the top players and coaches to work with. You've supported me with a top-notch scouting program and pretty much let me run the ship. I have no complaints. I'm just at a place in my career where this isn't working. Maybe it's a fear of commitment. Maybe I'm just looking for something else. I don't really know. But it's not fair to you or the team. You guys deserve better than me. How about you pay me the rest of this season and the first four games of next, and we just move on? You can finally meet that 'Mr. Right' that deserves you. I know you'll make some lucky coach very happy. Plus, I get to look for another job immediately. Who knows? Maybe Oakland or St. Louis. Or perhaps I could move up to a GM spot in Detroit. What do you say?

SoP: Done.

And both sides win. :D

Side note: Marvin, I know you read these posts. Send me a private message. Let's talk. I can get you outta here, bro. Call me.