Telling you guys it's not over

walzav29

We have not played a team with a loss. We almost beat the Superbowl champs. The Browns suck. Big Ben's line is worse than ours. Flacco will show he is a rookie very soon. They beat us, because they knew the plays and the Browns suck. The Bengals can win the division at 9-7. The offense is back. I'm telling you guys this is a strange season.

Bengals are not getting to 9-7. If 7-9 can win the division, well then, m a y b e they have a shot. But that would require them going 7-6 from here on out, and unless I am being handed a $700 billiion dollar check of taxpayer money like Paulson is, I ain't betting on 7-6 from here on out.

Maybe with enough pride they can get to 6-10. Maybe.

More likely, they follow up the good effort we have all been waiting for with another egg against a desperate Cleveland team to fall to 0-4 heading into Dallas.

But, yaneverknow.

I don't mind the optimism walzav, it's just that me being optimistic figures they are more likely, if everything falls jjjjjuuuuuussttt right, to go 6-7 from here on out. Which brings them to 6-10.

If everything doesn't fall just right? 4-12 looks about right. Those first two losses were just that deadly.

Well, I will say that the Bengals still have a shot, at least on paper, if for no other reason than (as Walter points out) that the AFCN is arguably the most putrid division in football right now. The Ravens' lead is an illusion and won't hold up, the Browns may be worse than the Bengals, and we have two games against Pitt, meaning -- again, on paper -- we could erase their lead over us. And no, I'm not predicting a sweep, just noting the math.

That said, I don't expect that to happen. The Giants game is a classic example of one of those heartbreakers that causes Bengals players to start packing it in for the year. When adversity hits, this team always seems to crumple. Moreover, a game like the one they played yesterday -- a pretty good one against a top team -- is almost always followed by the Bengals crapping the bed the following week. And let's face it, for a struggling Derek Anderson, the Bengals are just what the doctor ordered.

I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to see this team show some resiliency and determination. But if history is any guide, it won't.

Well, I will say that the Bengals still have a shot, at least on paper, if for no other reason than (as Walter points out) that the AFCN is arguably the most putrid division in football right now. The Ravens' lead is an illusion and won't hold up, the Browns may be worse than the Bengals, and we have two games against Pitt, meaning -- again, on paper -- we could erase their lead over us. And no, I'm not predicting a sweep, just noting the math.

That said, I don't expect that to happen. The Giants game is a classic example of one of those heartbreakers that causes Bengals players to start packing it in for the year. When adversity hits, this team always seems to crumple. Moreover, a game like the one they played yesterday -- a pretty good one against a top team -- is almost always followed by the Bengals crapping the bed the following week. And let's face it, for a struggling Derek Anderson, the Bengals are just what the doctor ordered.

I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to see this team show some resiliency and determination. But if history is any guide, it won't.

The real question is when does Carson get a ride off the field? His Oline is going to get him hurt this season. Its already gotten him beat up. How do we win like that?

Sure we're only 0-3 out of a 16 game schedule. We'll be very lucky to go 7-6 with a healthy Palmer. Without him, we'll be lucky to win 2 out of 13.

HC is wrong when he says the Bengal players will start checking out. I think Levi Jones has a head start on his teammates.

2003 did NOT have a schedule ahead of them like this one, but, hey, your mouth to God's ears, walzav. If they are playing a meaningful game in December with their own playoff hopes on the line, I will be thrilled beyond measure.

I thought yesterday was insipring. Not "hanging in there" with the Superbowl champs, but the way Palmer was getting killed, blood dripping down his face. Not getting rattled. It's the kind of thing you can rally behind. The schedule is brutal, but I'm looking at the division. As always we'll have to beat the Steelers to get it done.

HC is wrong when he says the Bengal players will start checking out. I think Levi Jones has a head start on his teammates.

On the Levi front, I don't believe it's possible for him to check out, as he apparently never checked in.

Given that the Bengals have a truckload of cap space, I like an idea kingwilly floated Sunday: see if we can't deal him for some help in the secondary.

Here's what will happen the rest of the year, the offense is gelling, the defense will have good and bad starts and the team will be just good enough the rest of the season to go 7-9 or 8-8, we will miss out on the playoffs and we will miss out on the top defensive players and the top RB (Moreno) and so we will yet again settle for a good not great player and the wheel turns again. No change in scouting of organizational philosophy, but there will be enough promise to keep the seats filled. The team won't spend for new contracts for TJ and Stacy so we will again be filling for need rather than selecting the BPA and it never changes.

Given that the Bengals have a truckload of cap space, I like an idea kingwilly floated Sunday: see if we can't deal him for some help in the secondary.

Where's the oblig. Hobson analysis of why we don't really have any cap space?

I'm sure it would be something along the lines of:

Trade Levi Jones for defensive help? Absurd. Even if they felt that Whitworth or Collins was capable of taking over, the cap hit would kill them. Oh, they have the space, but moving Jones would mean no extensions for T.J, Ocho Cinco or Stacy Andrews. No, even if Jones is giving up multiple sacks per game and materially contributing to the physical injury of Carson Palmer (sprained ankle, broken nose), he's making too much money to trade or sit. Palmer is just going to have to take the pounding.

I think we should look at the whole AFC in general who is really all that great this year. It is not like other years the Colts seem to be struggling early, and then theres Denver who has no defense, i mean look at the good teams so far, Bills, Titans, Ravens what the heck is going on here. So i agree this is a weird year, and if this team plays like they did against the Giants then they give themselves a shot at winning many games against some teams, but they have to play like they just did. So who is the afc greats not to many right now.

I understand there is no need for optimism, but they played the #1, #3, and #6th ranked defense's.

Playing the Bengals is what helped these teams get such a high ranking. They are there BECAUSE they played the Bengals, not IN SPITE of having played them.

Over?? Did you say OVER?? Nothing is over til we say it is..........

animalhouse347.jpeg

Was it over when the Germans bombed pearl Harbor......HELL NO!! and it ain't over now!!!

SO:

If they can squeak out a win sunday vs the stains....... Awesome!!!

Then its WEEK 5 and you know who will be back....

MUTHAFUKIN SLIM!!!!

chris-henry.jpg

bow down biatches...... I see a 5 or 6 game winning streak!!!!!!

:excitedgroup::excitedgroup::excitedgroup:

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

MUTHAFUKIN SLIM!!!!

chris-henry.jpg

Anyone depending on this fellow for anything over than more legal troubles has lost most of their credibility

I doubt he'll even be activated in week 5 (unless we experience some serious injury issues at WR) after only a single week of practice

I understand there is no need for optimism, but they played the #1, #3, and #6th ranked defense's.

Playing the Bengals is what helped these teams get such a high ranking. They are there BECAUSE they played the Bengals, not IN SPITE of having played them.

The Ravens, Giants, and Titans have good defenses. The Ravens were decimated by injuries last year, the Giants won the superbowl with their defense, and the Titans made the playoffs because of their defense...not because of their QB play.

MUTHAFUKIN SLIM!!!!

chris-henry.jpg

Anyone depending on this fellow for anything over than more legal troubles has lost most of their credibility

I doubt he'll even be activated in week 5 (unless we experience some serious injury issues at WR) after only a single week of practice

Knowing the Bengals, they'll cut Simpson or Caldwell and try to salt them on the practice squad.

I think that Chad will undergo season-ending surgery once Henry comes back, especially if the Bengals are still winless. I heard one of the announcers say that he talked to Chad before the game and he felt like if they didn't beat the Giants they could possibly go 0-5 or 0-8. I couldn't believe that one of our star players could even make a comment like that! If this is true, he has obviously already checked out for the season, so might as well get the surgery done now and blame a poor season on him not playing the bulk of the games, all the while maintaining is market value and marketability, which is obviously as, if not more important, than winning football games to him.

I could also see them shutting H.Jones down or cutting Harris, as they'll be forced to play Sims at some point and will then have 5 true tackles on the roster, along with Fanene and Rucker, who have also played inside this season.