Marvin Lewis Press Conference

Ox

Opening comments:

ML: The task at hand is the Giants, and they're doing a great job of running the football, averaging 170-something yards a game. And defensively, they're giving up about 70 yards a game rushing. Passing it at about 220-something and they have seven sacks on defense. So they're playing pretty efficiently, running the ball, throwing the football and both defending the rush and defending the pass. They've been great on third down, (converting) almost 48 percent and allowing about 23 percent defensively.

They've been in semi-close games into the fourth quarter, and they've been able to distance themselves from their opponents, which—I told our team—is about the opposite of what we've done. So that's something we've got to understand and know, that these guys have been able to put the pedal to the metal, and make some plays to finish these games out. We've been unable to do that thus far this year. That's the task at hand. It's a great challenge, an exciting challenge for us, and it'll be a fun game to play in, so our guys are excited to go."

Q: You mentioned on Monday the problems with the passing game are due to the receivers lack of play together with Carson (Palmer):

ML: It's mostly the adjustments in timings.

Q: When will the wraps come off Jerome Simpson?

ML: Jerome's got a ways to go as far as understanding what to do, and for us to have some confidence in him being in the spots where he needs to be. Then he can maybe earn some more playing time. We've put him in. He's played in each of the games. But he's got to be right all the time in practice. You don't just throw a guy out there.

Q: What about injury updates?

ML: We sent home Ben (Utecht), who was sick today. Johnathan (Joseph) didn't work as well. Reggie Kelly was held out today. Herana-Daze (Jones) did not practice today, nor did Dexter Jackson. Other than that we're in pretty good health, pretty good shape.

Q: Talk about Keith Rivers and his progress in the first two games:

ML: Well, I think Keith's gotten an indoctrination by fire in the NFL, which is good. I'm pleased with the things he's doing. He wanted to tackle better after the first week, and he worked his tail off last week on the practice field, and did a much better job in the (Tennessee) game, and will continue, I think, to be a very conscientious player. He's having fun. He's being productive. He's making plays. And I think he'll just keep getting better and better.

Q: You said the team was going to work and go win in New York against the Giants. Is that a guarantee?

ML: I said that's what we're going to do. Are we going to go in there and put our tail between our legs?

Q: Do you know if Johnathan Joseph is going to play?

ML: I do not. We'll see where Johnathan is as we go through the week, and what work he's able to get down. I can't affect it one way or another.

Q: With Reggie (Kelly) and Ben Utecht out, what's the situation at TE?

ML: I think we'll be fine, but we'll play the guys we can dress and go and go at it. We'll be all right.

Q: Do you think we might see the new fullback (Reagan Maui'a) if Daniel (Coats) has to play TE?

ML: Possibly there's an opportunity for Reagan to get some playing time this week. That'll be good. That's why we brought him here.

Q: How are (Pat) Sims and (Jason) Shirley? Has their not playing been injury-related?

ML: Pat Sims was injured in training camp and didn't get to practice until last week, so I think he's got a ways to go conditioning-wise to play in an NFL game. We've got Orien Harris and John (Thornton) and Domata (Peko), ahead of him. Until he can prove through practice that he's a better option for me ... Jason's got a ways to go. I didn't envision Jason being a big part of what we're doing this year. I don't know if that will come. He's working at it, and maybe at some point he will. But at this point, that's where he is.

Q: Thornton and Peko have been on the field for a lot of snaps:

ML: Not necessarily. We've shared snaps pretty well. Orien (Harris) has gotten a good amount of snaps. I feel good about how we're getting that done. In our substitute defense, John's out of there some and Domata's out of there some. It's not too bad, and the guys have done a good job with it.

Q: Does the experience Geoff Pope had last year with the Giants make it a little easier for him to fit in here?

ML: Well, he's played in the NFC championship game. He's been on the team and they've won the Super Bowl, and he's had some snaps. So if he gets an opportunity to play come Sunday, he's got to be ready to go.

Q: What part does Carson (Palmer) share in the lack of timing with the receivers, and in the game management on Sundays?

ML: Carson's missed two practices since May, when we got started on the field. So I think as far as his time on task, that's been great. He's a guy who likes to take a lot of snaps. A lot of quarterbacks don't like to throw the ball as much as Carson does. He wants to be perfect in everything he does. He wants to see all the looks all the time. He doesn't want to shove somebody else in there. He continues to work very, very hard at it. But he can't control, at times, who's been out there around him. All's he can do is wait for them to get back up to speed and keep pushing the envelope.

Q: Everybody was talking about how Willie (Anderson) could have been a factor in the Baltimore game, with the things he would tell them. Now you've got Geoff Pope, who was with the Giants. Can he give you anything that you can't see on tape?

ML: I think a guy who's been with a team for a while has the ability to explain some things. But I don't think Pope has the time on task that Willie had, being a starting player.

Q: Chad (Ocho Cinco) said he thinks it's going to take a big run or catch to get things going:

ML: I think we've got to make some explosive plays, and right now we're getting outnumbered that way. And when we put an explosive play upon an explosive play, that'll make a big difference. Those plays change field position, they change the game, they change where you are, they change your call sheet. There's a lot of things they change. And we need to get some of those.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7068

Opening comments:

ML: The task at hand is the Giants, and they're doing a great job of running the football, averaging 170-something yards a game. And defensively, they're giving up about 70 yards a game rushing. Passing it at about 220-something and they have seven sacks on defense. So they're playing pretty efficiently, running the ball, throwing the football and both defending the rush and defending the pass. They've been great on third down, (converting) almost 48 percent and allowing about 23 percent defensively.

They've been in semi-close games into the fourth quarter, and they've been able to distance themselves from their opponents, which—I told our team—is about the opposite of what we've done. So that's something we've got to understand and know, that these guys have been able to put the pedal to the metal, and make some plays to finish these games out. We've been unable to do that thus far this year. That's the task at hand. It's a great challenge, an exciting challenge for us, and it'll be a fun game to play in, so our guys are excited to go."

Q: You mentioned on Monday the problems with the passing game are due to the receivers lack of play together with Carson (Palmer):

ML: It's mostly the adjustments in timings.

Q: When will the wraps come off Jerome Simpson?

ML: Jerome's got a ways to go as far as understanding what to do, and for us to have some confidence in him being in the spots where he needs to be. Then he can maybe earn some more playing time. We've put him in. He's played in each of the games. But he's got to be right all the time in practice. You don't just throw a guy out there.

Q: What about injury updates?

ML: We sent home Ben (Utecht), who was sick today. Johnathan (Joseph) didn't work as well. Reggie Kelly was held out today. Herana-Daze (Jones) did not practice today, nor did Dexter Jackson. Other than that we're in pretty good health, pretty good shape.

Q: Talk about Keith Rivers and his progress in the first two games:

ML: Well, I think Keith's gotten an indoctrination by fire in the NFL, which is good. I'm pleased with the things he's doing. He wanted to tackle better after the first week, and he worked his tail off last week on the practice field, and did a much better job in the (Tennessee) game, and will continue, I think, to be a very conscientious player. He's having fun. He's being productive. He's making plays. And I think he'll just keep getting better and better.

Q: You said the team was going to work and go win in New York against the Giants. Is that a guarantee?

ML: I said that's what we're going to do. Are we going to go in there and put our tail between our legs?

Q: Do you know if Johnathan Joseph is going to play?

ML: I do not. We'll see where Johnathan is as we go through the week, and what work he's able to get down. I can't affect it one way or another.

Q: With Reggie (Kelly) and Ben Utecht out, what's the situation at TE?

ML: I think we'll be fine, but we'll play the guys we can dress and go and go at it. We'll be all right.

Q: Do you think we might see the new fullback (Reagan Maui'a) if Daniel (Coats) has to play TE?

ML: Possibly there's an opportunity for Reagan to get some playing time this week. That'll be good. That's why we brought him here.

Q: How are (Pat) Sims and (Jason) Shirley? Has their not playing been injury-related?

ML: Pat Sims was injured in training camp and didn't get to practice until last week, so I think he's got a ways to go conditioning-wise to play in an NFL game. We've got Orien Harris and John (Thornton) and Domata (Peko), ahead of him. Until he can prove through practice that he's a better option for me ... Jason's got a ways to go. I didn't envision Jason being a big part of what we're doing this year. I don't know if that will come. He's working at it, and maybe at some point he will. But at this point, that's where he is.

Q: Thornton and Peko have been on the field for a lot of snaps:

ML: Not necessarily. We've shared snaps pretty well. Orien (Harris) has gotten a good amount of snaps. I feel good about how we're getting that done. In our substitute defense, John's out of there some and Domata's out of there some. It's not too bad, and the guys have done a good job with it.

Q: Does the experience Geoff Pope had last year with the Giants make it a little easier for him to fit in here?

ML: Well, he's played in the NFC championship game. He's been on the team and they've won the Super Bowl, and he's had some snaps. So if he gets an opportunity to play come Sunday, he's got to be ready to go.

Q: What part does Carson (Palmer) share in the lack of timing with the receivers, and in the game management on Sundays?

ML: Carson's missed two practices since May, when we got started on the field. So I think as far as his time on task, that's been great. He's a guy who likes to take a lot of snaps. A lot of quarterbacks don't like to throw the ball as much as Carson does. He wants to be perfect in everything he does. He wants to see all the looks all the time. He doesn't want to shove somebody else in there. He continues to work very, very hard at it. But he can't control, at times, who's been out there around him. All's he can do is wait for them to get back up to speed and keep pushing the envelope.

Q: Everybody was talking about how Willie (Anderson) could have been a factor in the Baltimore game, with the things he would tell them. Now you've got Geoff Pope, who was with the Giants. Can he give you anything that you can't see on tape?

ML: I think a guy who's been with a team for a while has the ability to explain some things. But I don't think Pope has the time on task that Willie had, being a starting player.

Q: Chad (Ocho Cinco) said he thinks it's going to take a big run or catch to get things going:

ML: I think we've got to make some explosive plays, and right now we're getting outnumbered that way. And when we put an explosive play upon an explosive play, that'll make a big difference. Those plays change field position, they change the game, they change where you are, they change your call sheet. There's a lot of things they change. And we need to get some of those.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7068

Guys, I feel a lot better now. Marvin is back and in control. The ship is righted. All is calm now. Ready to go 14-2. Super Bowl here we come.

Eh, who am I kidding?

This morning on Opening Drive on sirus i heard him say that he is very happy with where this team is and is excited about this team, wow i must say he must be taking losing pretty good these days, so i think everyone should now be excited and happy about where the team is they almost beat two average football teams YEA. Whatever happend to the Marvin that would yell and scream now he seems to be this calm guy who is happy about everything.

This morning on Opening Drive on sirus i heard him say that he is very happy with where this team is and is excited about this team, wow i must say he must be taking losing pretty good these days, so i think everyone should now be excited and happy about where the team is they almost beat two average football teams YEA. Whatever happend to the Marvin that would yell and scream now he seems to be this calm guy who is happy about everything.

Maybe he got some zen from Phil Jackson? :feelbetter:

:arabia:

I get people are frustrated -- I am too. But let's be realistic here people . What would you like Marvin to say? "Well, we've looked pretty rough the last two weeks. Our offense is the worst it's ever been and we're going into one of the best defensive teams in the league at home. It could get ugly. Carson looks nervous, I'm thinking maybe releasing deltha wasn't such a good idea, and our offensive line is still coming together. I think it's going to be a long year, guys."

We've made big strides in defense since last season and we're waiting on our offense. Is there time in the season to turn it around? I certainly think so. Will it start in new york? Only if the giants come in expecting to breeze through us and we catch them off guard. Marvin's saying the only things he can stay and have any sense of loyalty about him. Every team goes into every game trying to win, expecting to win. Feel free to be upset or frustrated by a football team but don't expect the coach to tie the knot the rest of the team will use to hang him.

I get people are frustrated -- I am too. But let's be realistic here people.

I am realistic, and have been so since 1968 when the Bengals were born and I was 10 years old. I've seen the very few ups, and have suffered through more down years than you have likely been alive. I know what I'm talking about.

I have been among the most vocal critics of ML on here (duh) of late, but, I am far more pleased at the tone he strikes in those quotes than what we were getting last week. Far more pleased.

Hopefully it is a sign of focus being where it needs to be (on his team) and we see a better effort from start to finish with some urgency up in NY.

So because you're older than me means you're more realistic? An NFL coach . . . who makes a living coaching football . . . trying to win football games . . . says he's going into a game expecting a win . . . and that means he's hitting the crack pipe? I can't relate to 40 years of bitter fandom, I honestly can't. But i'm not going to expect carson, marvin, or mikey boy to act like the ship's sunk two games in.

I get people are frustrated -- I am too. But let's be realistic here people.

I am realistic, and have been so since 1968 when the Bengals were born and I was 10 years old. I've seen the very few ups, and have suffered through more down years than you have likely been alive. I know what I'm talking about.

While I don't have quite the same mileage on me that you do, I go back to 1977 as a then-seven year-old fan. Going on my 31rst season as a member of Bengal-nation, amen to what you said. We old timers have been conditioned to expect the worst, take the best when we can. 2005 was another blip of hope that we can all remember and fondly recall, but now it's business as usual.

Did anybody expect Lewis to do a press conference and say, "We suck, and we have no chance this Sunday against the Giants," ? Obviously not. But he's not BSing anybody here. This team has looked worse in two games than they have in, what, five or six seasons? Against two C to B- teams at best. Don't try to blow us full of crap now. Get on the press conference and tell us about how you've got these guys running extra drills. How you have pulled your receivers and QB together and had a 'Come to Jesus' meeting. About how this is the last chance for the O-line or people will lose their slots on the depth chart. We are just looking for something besides 'the power of positive thinking' that shows us corrective action is being taken.

So because you're older than me means you're more realistic? An NFL coach . . . who makes a living coaching football . . . trying to win football games . . . says he's going into a game expecting a win . . . and that means he's hitting the crack pipe? I can't relate to 40 years of bitter fandom, I honestly can't. But i'm not going to expect carson, marvin, or mikey boy to act like the ship's sunk two games in.

true that

true that

If the 0-2 start was due to injuries with players returning to play this weekend, then I'd say forget the record and expect a good game if not a win.

But the Bengals have been healthy, much more so than last year.

Their play has been consistent since their first preseason game with no passing game, poor OL play, defense plays well except for the game changing explosive plays they give up, few that they are.

Given that they are playing a very well coached, active and talented team, I think realism says the Bengals get blown out. Just like the first two regular season games, only more so.

To me, this is the most critical game of the Marvin era, although it seems like we say that every week. If they're competitive the ENTIRE game and make it close (or even win), if will go a long ways towards the team having a decent season. If not, Marvin has lost the team and they need to see what they have in Zampese or Zimmer as a HC.

I have no problem with what Marvin said. As a head coach, he should go into every game expecting his team to win. If he said "I fully expect us to get our asses kicked on Sunday", what kind of message would that send to his team and the fans.

Personally I want to hear that he still has confidence in the team to go out and play at the highest level. I would be pissed at anything else.

So because you're older than me means you're more realistic?

I never said that. It simply means I've seen this scenario before, to the point of nausea. I've seen how it plays out. Quick and to the point? I fully expect Cincinnati to have one of next years top 5 draft picks. It may not be the first, but it sure won't come in outside the top ten!

I have also been a fan since I can remember watching the Bengals in about 1974. I'm not taking a tone or trying to make light of others opinions here, but will simply say this...

The way the Bengals are currently playing, they will win very few games this year.

I will conceed that the defense has looked better and more aggressive. The offense needs to help them not be on the field so long and it's not like we didn't expect the defense to need to take some time to develop and gel. I will remain optimistic...

The offense, which has done worse than some of those teams better left unremembered, has got the talent to make things happen. It is just silly to think they can't pull things together though. That's not saying they will, but they have that ability there.

As far as Marvins comments, I don't mind him saying he expects a 2 touchdown win, I just want to see the team come out and at least give the impression they want to be out there.

WHODEY !!!

WTF ? Carson Palmer? Lack of timing with WR's?

How are any of the problems with the offence Carsons fault?

How is Carson expected to throw the ball whith a 300 lb. DE on top of him and his back on the ground?

Maybe the Bengals could pettition the league to allow Carson to be allowed to passes from the prone position.

The O-line sucks -period!!

None of the Bengals O-linemen seem to be able to pick up the blitz, I dont know, maybe they spent so much time installing the 2 TE stuff that , they didnt spend enough time going over the blitz

The Bengals need to /should draft at least 3 O-linemen in next years draft. -I doubt that they will but, they need to.

Problem* Ghicuiac sucks, he has never been a NFL qualtiy C, I doubt he could start in the CFL.

Problem*Whithworth is a T, not a G, he looked much better at T than he has ever looked at G. He should be a back up LT or a RT.*--one of the reasons that Whit has looked so bad, is that he plays next to Ghiciuac and often misses guys that Ghiuiac has missed.

Problem* Stacy Andrews is a G , at best, and not a T he does not have the feet or speed for it. He is playing like he is more concerned(likely on advice from an agent) of his health than he is protecting Carson.

Problem* Levi Jones- Jones used to be Pro Bowl caliber but , he is a shadow of his former self since his injury.

The best solution that I can think of now is to move Anthony Collins (after alot of work) to C and move Whitworth to RT and Andrews bact to G.

I doubt that Mike Brown would go for that because he is paying Andrews RT money and money is the important thing, not winning , to Brown. Besides ,it would be too much like work for Alexander.

Besides, the assistants, at this point , are more worried about making up resume's than they are game plans or teaching.

While all of your varying points are generally merited, don't overlook Palmer's issues here. The only good part of the blackouts here in Cincy is that I didn't have to suffer through that Titan game, but everything I've seen and read indicates that, overall, Palmer had more time against the Titans than he did the Ravens--and still amassed a whopping 134 yards, 1 pick and I think 1 fumble.

How are any of the problems with the offense Carson's fault? He's the quarterback! The field general! The o-line bears a lot of the blame, but he's not faultless here. Zero td's, 3 interceptions?

How is Carson expected to throw the ball whith a 300 lb. DE on top of him and his back on the ground?

Maybe the Bengals could pettition the league to allow Carson to be allowed to passes from the prone position.

The O-line sucks -period!!

None of the Bengals O-linemen seem to be able to pick up the blitz, I dont know, maybe they spent so much time installing the 2 TE stuff that , they didnt spend enough time going over the blitz

The Bengals need to /should draft at least 3 O-linemen in next years draft. -I doubt that they will but, they need to.

Problem* Ghicuiac sucks, he has never been a NFL qualtiy C, I doubt he could start in the CFL.

Problem*Whithworth is a T, not a G, he looked much better at T than he has ever looked at G. He should be a back up LT or a RT.*--one of the reasons that Whit has looked so bad, is that he plays next to Ghiciuac and often misses guys that Ghiuiac has missed.

Problem* Stacy Andrews is a G , at best, and not a T he does not have the feet or speed for it. He is playing like he is more concerned(likely on advice from an agent) of his health than he is protecting Carson.

Problem* Levi Jones- Jones used to be Pro Bowl caliber but , he is a shadow of his former self since his injury.

The best solution that I can think of now is to move Anthony Collins (after alot of work) to C and move Whitworth to RT and Andrews bact to G.

I doubt that Mike Brown would go for that because he is paying Andrews RT money and money is the important thing, not winning , to Brown. Besides ,it would be too much like work for Alexander.

Besides, the assistants, at this point , are more worried about making up resume's than they are game plans or teaching.

Completely agree - although I'm doubting Collins could play C unless you're aware of something I'm not with him. If Levi continues to suck, why not move Whit to LT and Collins to LG or put Collins at RT and Andrews at LG? Shake it up.

A pipe dream and Collins may not be ready (nor do I have any faith Alexander can develop him as he's failed miserably again with Guy-chick and Andrews) though.

This team lacks any depth at all at G and C - Kooistra is a joke but he might not be any worse and could possibly be better than Guy-chick.

Bobbie Williams isn't all that great either.

Completely agree - although I'm doubting Collins could play C unless you're aware of something I'm not with him. If Levi continues to suck, why not move Whit to LT and Collins to LG or put Collins at RT and Andrews at LG? Shake it up.

Shake it up all you want, it doesn't matter. The problem lies in no leadership on the OL. Mike Brown decided we didn't need any and cut Willie Anderson. Now we pay the price. <_<

Palmer isn't without fault...his timing with the receivers is off.

When a team has looked as bad as the Bengals have, no one is exempt.