Landon Johnson signs with Panthers

Bengals1

Friday, March 07, 2008

Landon Johnson agrees with Carolina

Landon Johnson has agreed to terms on a three-year contract with the Carolina Panthers, agent Andy Simms told The Enquirer this morning. The Bengals did make an attempt to match the deal.

Johnson visited Carolina in the past few days.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Landon's only good at being tough. He's a tough SOB, that's it. Football (NFL) skills, he has NONE.

Wow, now that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

You don't lead any team in the NFL in tackles for several seasons without some skills. Even a sorry defense like the Bengals have had.

That said, I don't think Landon's a game-changing type of player. I'd love to have him back, but if we're going to overpay for a free agent, I'd rather it be a DT.

You don't lead any team in the NFL in tackles for several seasons without some skills. Even a sorry defense like the Bengals have had.

That said, I don't think Landon's a game-changing type of player. I'd love to have him back, but if we're going to overpay for a free agent, I'd rather it be a DT.

Agreed. ;)

Landon's only good at being tough. He's a tough SOB, that's it. Football (NFL) skills, he has NONE.

Wow, now that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Lead the team in tackles by default and by staying healthy. Dude's slow, can't cover, can't pursue, can't get pressure, can't shed blocks, can't lead, can't do a lot of things... You all know I don't like to talk about our players but since he's a Panther, thank you Carolina!

This loss sucks almost as badly as Agreen's analysis of Landon's value.

Poor decision by the Bengals not to try to retain him.

Landon doesn't play all that consistently "in traffic" due to his size, but he certainly isn't slow and am not sure what Agreen is coming from there.

Just because you run a 40 yard dash fast, doesn't make you "fast" in all situations. Landon can't use his speed, therefor I think he's slow. You have to admit, watching Landon's back as he's chasing down a TE after gettting burnt was an occasion us fans were pretty used to seeing.

Damn, Marvin wasn't kidding, he's pretty much blowing the defense up. Good luck to Landon, he deserves whatever success he achieves. He sure as hell showed up for us when other guys were getting hurt or suspended.

Agreed. Like I said he's tough as nails. He's a good guy that deserves a paycheck and a chance to play, just not with the Bengals. I'm glad Marvin decided to part ways.

Caleb Miller - your new Bengals starting OLB, woo hoo!

3 years, $10 million for Landon.

Will be mildly interesting to see how he produces down there.

Caleb Miller is a free agent and it looks like the Bengals don't have any intentions of trying to sign him. I liked Landon Johnson as a back up but as long as he was a starter on our team that position would be a weak spot, he makes tackles but he's not really an impact player at all. If we would have paid him that amount of money I would not have believed that they were really trying to improve the defense. I have been intrigued looking at the so called experts prediction of who the Bengals will take in the first round of the draft, what struck me was that Vic Carucci just came out with his mock draft and he did not have Sedrick Ellis going in the first round. This guy has lost all credit with me for that one.

What a great draft the Bengals 2004 edition is turning out to be.... :rolleyes:

BENGALS 2004 DRAFT CHOICES

Rd. Player Pos. College Sel. #

1 Chris Perry RB Michigan 26 - Injuries, injuries, injuries...

2a Keiwan Ratliff CB Florida 49 - big, slow.. cut!

2b Madieu Williams S Maryland 56 - Signed by Minn.

3a Caleb Miller LB Arkansas 80 -Small, slow..cut!

3b Landon Johnson LB Purdue 96 - Enjoy the South.

4a Matthias Askew DT Michigan St. 114 - Cut - Is he still with the Skins?

4b Robert Geathers DE Georgia 117 -Solid starter

4c Stacy Andrews T Mississippi 123 - Franchise player?

5 Maurice Mann WR Nevada 149 - Gone

6 Greg Brooks CB Southern Mississippi 183 - Still here, still waiting...

7 Casey Bramlet QB Wyoming 218 - Gone

Actually they cut Brooks before last season.

Okay, sorry, I thought he was on IR all last season for some reason. :wacko:

Well, he was pretty much on IR his whole "career" here, so it's understandable. :lol:

Touchee' :cheers:

So here's our current Linebacking corp:

Jones 6'1" 240 lbs

Thurman 6'0 235 lbs (assuming he gets a full reinstatement)

Jeanty 6'2" 245 lbs

Brooks 6'3" 259 lbs

Schlegal 6'1" 251 lbs

Henderson 6"2" 263 lbs

Anyone for drafting Rivers out of SC if the big 4 are gone by #9?

Lead the team in tackles by default and by staying healthy. Dude's slow, can't cover, can't pursue, can't get pressure, can't shed blocks, can't lead, can't do a lot of things... You all know I don't like to talk about our players but since he's a Panther, thank you Carolina!

All that's true and he's still been our best LB over the last three years. What's that say?

All that's true and he's still been our best LB over the last three years. What's that say?

Actually, very little of that is true

That said, 3.3 mil a year for Landon is a bit much, but I wish the Panthers luck

Anyone for drafting Rivers out of SC if the big 4 are gone by #9?

I wouldn't be disappointed by that at all, especially if the two big DTs are gone.