Shaun Smith on Chad and Marvin

icehole3

Cutler had the clip this morning. According to Smith, CJ swung on and struck Marvin. He also swung on Hue. If that is true, how is he still a Bengal? If that is true, how could Marvin expect anything close to respect from any of the players?

Even if he didn't connect with Marvin's jaw, it's pretty common knowledge that Johnson flipped out during the most important game in a decade. That alone should have sent him packing. My guess is that ML is taking one for the team, knowing what such a strory would do to his trade value. He also knows that the longer he waits, the lesser the cap hit.

Take the cap hit and move on. It is just not worth it.

Cutler had the clip this morning. According to Smith, CJ swung on and struck Marvin. He also swung on Hue. If that is true, how is he still a Bengal? If that is true, how could Marvin expect anything close to respect from any of the players?

Even if he didn't connect with Marvin's jaw, it's pretty common knowledge that Johnson flipped out during the most important game in a decade. That alone should have sent him packing. My guess is that ML is taking one for the team, knowing what such a strory would do to his trade value. He also knows that the longer he waits, the lesser the cap hit.

If its true, which I think it is, its nothing more than a broken heart... Sometimes you can swing on someone you love (Marvin is like a father to Chad) and its coming from the heart, and not violent. Chad was angry, heartbroken even, that Carson was done. Could you imagine the amount of anger in that room during halftime when the boys found out Carson wasn't coming back in? A good example of this is portrayed in the movie Boys in the Hood where Cuba Gooding Jr. character is heartbroken and swinging in the air... I can see Chad, as emotional as he is, being so upset that he was swinging at whatever (lockers, equipment, ect.) and Marvin/Hue who were trying to console and calm him, getting caught in the cross-fire... By no means whatsoever would Chad just take a jab at Hue and Marvin.

You all probably won't see it my way, but that's okay, just stick with what the media says.

Well done, Mr. Emotionally Invested Guy. Again, from the 20 people you meet on a sports board column:

Emotionally Invested: You know the cop movies where the lieutenant calls the detective into his office and reprimands him: "You're getting too close!" Well, he's gotten too close. He tosses out more excuses and rationalizations than a battered wife. He's fallen in love with a player, and his heart won't allow him to admit that, well... it simply isn't going to work out.

LosmanIsGod: Of course, you J.P. haters are just going to dismiss his performance by saying, "Oh, he went 8-for-25 with four interceptions, he sucks." Two of those interceptions were tipped, and I'm pretty sure Lee ran the wrong pattern on the last pick, although I have no idea if this is the case. Plus the wind was really bad. And this is only J.P.'s third season- he's practically still a rookie. Peyton Manning threw six interceptions in a game earlier this year. I guess he sucks too, right? If we get three or four All-Pros on the offensive line, a couple of more at receiver, if the defense plays at roughly an '85 Bears level and if Marshawn turns into a combination of Thurman Thomas and Joe Cribbs, J.P. can be a serviceable starter for us.

I can't understand how he's still around if that did happen. Remember this is the same organization that cut Lee Johnson the day after he made an off-hand comment about the upper management of the team after a game. Yet we've had to endure the poor behavior of the likes of Corey Dillon and Carl Pickens beyond what is reasonable or tolerable.

I think Chad has some serious issues behind that golden smile.

Well done, Mr. Emotionally Invested Guy. Again, from the 20 people you meet on a sports board column:

Emotionally Invested: You know the cop movies where the lieutenant calls the detective into his office and reprimands him: "You're getting too close!" Well, he's gotten too close. He tosses out more excuses and rationalizations than a battered wife. He's fallen in love with a player, and his heart won't allow him to admit that, well... it simply isn't going to work out.

LosmanIsGod: Of course, you J.P. haters are just going to dismiss his performance by saying, "Oh, he went 8-for-25 with four interceptions, he sucks." Two of those interceptions were tipped, and I'm pretty sure Lee ran the wrong pattern on the last pick, although I have no idea if this is the case. Plus the wind was really bad. And this is only J.P.'s third season- he's practically still a rookie. Peyton Manning threw six interceptions in a game earlier this year. I guess he sucks too, right? If we get three or four All-Pros on the offensive line, a couple of more at receiver, if the defense plays at roughly an '85 Bears level and if Marshawn turns into a combination of Thurman Thomas and Joe Cribbs, J.P. can be a serviceable starter for us.

Blind as always mem.

And now there's this....

SHAUN SMITH VIDEO ALREADY GONE

Less than 12 hours after we posted YouTube video of Browns defensive tackle Shaun Smith announcing at a Browns Backers meeting in Maryland that Chad Johnson punched Marvin Lewis during halftime of a 2006 playoff game, the video is "no longer available."

It makes no sense. The video wasn't protected by any copyright, so YouTube couldn't have been forced to take it down.

Our guess is that Smith got heat from his former head coach (indeed, Smith says on the video that he had spoken with Lewis at 1:00 a.m. that same day), and that Smith called up whoever booked him to speak at the meeting and told that person to get the video off YouTube or Smith would be at the next meeting in a far less charitable mood.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from this point forward. Two years ago, the Cincinnati media gave Johnson the benefit of the doubt when he declared that "nothing happened." Given his recent change in attitude toward the local press, we think that folks like Mark Curnutte might be more inclined to shine a light on this.

Then again, it only supports Ocho Stinko's end game. He wants out of Cincinnati; there's no denying that. What better way to make it happen than via a disclosure that Johnson did in fact jaw-jack his head coach at halftime of the franchise's biggest game since Super Bowl XXIII?

If its true, which I think it is, its nothing more than a broken heart... Sometimes you can swing on someone you love (Marvin is like a father to Chad) and its coming from the heart, and not violent. Chad was angry, heartbroken even, that Carson was done. Could you imagine the amount of anger in that room during halftime when the boys found out Carson wasn't coming back in? A good example of this is portrayed in the movie Boys in the Hood where Cuba Gooding Jr. character is heartbroken and swinging in the air... I can see Chad, as emotional as he is, being so upset that he was swinging at whatever (lockers, equipment, ect.) and Marvin/Hue who were trying to console and calm him, getting caught in the cross-fire... By no means whatsoever would Chad just take a jab at Hue and Marvin.

You all probably won't see it my way, but that's okay, just stick with what the media says.

damn dawg.....you know......I think all these other posters are right.......I guess since I thought you were cool, I just looked the other way.

I didn't even read three sentences into your paragraph, and I realized you're an enabling type. Quit making excuses for these players that you'll never meet.

I'm sayin' though......

damn dawg.....you know......I think all these other posters are right.......I guess since I thought you were cool, I just looked the other way.

I didn't even read three sentences into your paragraph, and I realized you're an enabling type. Quit making excuses for these players that you'll never meet.

I'm sayin' though......

Yo Dawg, do you really think Chad took a jab at Marv for real? Do you think he smacked Hue? And why is Shaun, a Brown, the one you beleive?

I'm just sayin though....... There's two sides to every story.... And I could give two f**ks what anyone thinks bout me :sure:

It's three years ago, guys. If it were any longer an issue -- if it ever was -- obviously everyone has moved on.

(OK, well, judging by this thread, almost everyone.)

Who's moved on? Chad doesn't seem like he has. Or at least the same problems that led to that outburst are still in play.

No kidding. Seriously, if I had taken a swing at my coach (albeit in a highly emotional game, situation, etc ... blah, blah, blah) ... and then that very same coach has taken the high road EVERY SINGLE TIME, ... I would be incredibly gracious and outwardly thankful and supportive of my coach. Years later, Coach Lewis has (IMO) acted like the complete professional, the way you want your coach to act. He had every reason to make the details public and can Chad's butt. But he didn't. He has always had his back. And Chad? Uh, not so much. Question for the Chad supporters on this topic ... what other 'great player' out there would ever do this? Ever. Even during a 'highly emotional' game? Could you ever imagine Jerry Rice doing anything close to this? And what about the great head coaches? What do you think their reaction would have been? I just think Chad was wrong on many levels ... and Marvin has shown nothing but class, patience, and respect along the way ... much more than I think nearly every other head coach would have ... perhaps to a fault.

I can't understand how he's still around if that did happen. Remember this is the same organization that cut Lee Johnson the day after he made an off-hand comment about the upper management of the team after a game. Yet we've had to endure the poor behavior of the likes of Corey Dillon and Carl Pickens beyond what is reasonable or tolerable.

I think Chad has some serious issues behind that golden smile.

the other thing Smith mentioned was that Marvin has no control over his players because Mike Brown is calling the shots... that explains the special treatment to the Chad, Carl and Corey.

If its true, which I think it is, its nothing more than a broken heart...

Green, there are some rock dum mudder fuggers on this board but you just rocketed to the bottom.

I don't think any of us knows at this point if this is or is not true but... You got a lot of got damned gall calling anyone blind or a fool when you admit that it is probably true, you condone it and you continue to to defend Chad.

The first thing that my Dad taught me was that you don't commit assault and battery on your coaches.

Christ Green, how old and how childlike are you?

Unphucking-believable!!!

the other thing Smith mentioned was that Marvin has no control over his players because Mike Brown is calling the shots... that explains the special treatment to the Chad, Carl and Corey.

I've been involved in several Marvin debates and several Chad debates. I've always wondered if Chad wasn't a large part of Marvin's problems because ML would love to jap slap this idiot and put him in his place as part of a team but he cannot because Mike Brown will not allow it.

so what really happened in the locker room in the 2006 playoff game???....on profootballtalk.com it says that shaun smith told the browns that chad was in an altercation with hue jackson then marvin tried to step in and chad punched marvin......i have always said this was the turning point in the downhill slide...i cant believe marvin is still putting up with this guy...get him out of town!

What happened at halftime? According to an inside source I have with the team, Chad Johnson attempted to sacrifice Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson to the devil in return for the Lord o' Darkness repairing Carson's mangled knee on the spot. Unfortunately, as we all know, Mike Brown is the devil, and he refused to go through with the trade until Chad agreed to return his signing bonus, too. Chad balked, so the deal fell through, we lost the game, and everyone has been ticked at Chad since.

If its true, which I think it is, its nothing more than a broken heart...

You're right. Often when the femme fatale gets her heart broken, she lashes out. Usually she daintily swats at someone with her clutch purse. This is probably what happened with Chad, and it explains why Marvin didn't have any marks on his face after being attacked by a pro athlete.

I'm picturing Scarlett O'Hara throwing tiny fists into the he-man chest of Rhett Butler, until he grabs her wrists and she melts into a sobbing, ultimately sexual, surrender. That's Chad.

I'm sayin' though......

Yo Dawg, do you really think Chad took a jab at Marv for real? Do you think he smacked Hue? And why is Shaun, a Brown, the one you beleive?

I'm just sayin though....... There's two sides to every story.... And I could give two f**ks what anyone thinks bout me :sure:

I gotta admire that stiff upper lip. I really do appreciate your thick skin on this stuff...because I think your approval rating on this board dips somewhere between Bin Laden and George W. <_<