Info on Tab Perry and Kyle Larson from PFW

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A...tm?channel=2007

May

May 7, 2007

Kyle Larson is proof that quality punting help can be found in the undrafted free-agent ranks. The Bengals signed Larson after the ’04 draft, and the decision has paid dividends, as the Nebraska product has improved in all three NFL seasons. Larson, 26, is coming off his finest season. Larson averaged 44.5 yards on 77 punts, with 26 being downed inside the 20. Larson’s net average of 38.6 yards was tied for fourth-best in the NFL. Larson, who signed the Bengals’ restricted free-agent tender in April, is hard at work this offseason, continuing to hone his technique. Larson told PFW he’s working on his footwork and his drop height; ideally, Larson said, he’ll drop the ball “a little bit above (my) right hip.” Larson, who said he would like to stay in Cincinnati beyond this season, praised special-teams coach Darrin Simmons for his teaching. “He’s really brought me a long way in terms of my punting technique,” Larson said.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...hispers2203.htm

A source close to the Bengals says Tab Perry likely rates a slight edge over Antonio Chatman in the competition to take the No. 3 WR role, which will be vacated by Chris Henry as he serves an eight-game suspension to start the ’07 season.

I see the bit about Tab being very good news. It makes me worry even less about Henry's absence. I figured that if Tab wasn't 100% healthy that Chatman would be servicable. With both of them, they can pick and choose based on the situation... and I really think that Tab can be a very productive possession WR if healthy.

I see the bit about Tab being very good news. It makes me worry even less about Henry's absence. I figured that if Tab wasn't 100% healthy that Chatman would be servicable. With both of them, they can pick and choose based on the situation... and I really think that Tab can be a very productive possession WR if healthy.

I also like the prospect of Tab as a homerun threat on short routes. I think he will produce an unbelievable YAC for the amount of touches he gets.

Now there is something with the receivers that I can agree with. IF tab is healthy, I relax about Henry's enforced vacation. Crossing fingers and all that...

Why they haven't extended Larson remains a mystery to me. With that $1.2 million tender they have plenty of room to get a long-term deal done; they can probably even lower his cap number a few hundred K.

My guess is cheapo Brown doesn't want to pay a punter that much, which, when you find one as solid as Larson, you might as well try and lock him up for a few years.

I think it's probably a reason they signed a UDFA punter or two if I'm not mistaken.

The same reason they let Steinbach go - don't want to pay certain positions top position $ no matter who they are. When they actually live up to their potential and do what they were signed to do - the Bengals' let them go when it's time to re-sign (unless you play DE, OT, QB, RB or WR).

My guess is cheapo Brown doesn't want to pay a punter that much, which, when you find one as solid as Larson, you might as well try and lock him up for a few years.

I think it's probably a reason they signed a UDFA punter or two if I'm not mistaken.

The same reason they let Steinbach go - don't want to pay certain positions top position $ no matter who they are. When they actually live up to their potential and do what they were signed to do - the Bengals' let them go when it's time to re-sign (unless you play DE, OT, QB, RB or WR).

I haven't seen mention of any punters or kickers being brought in, but it wouldn't surprise me -- you always need some extras in camp. Certainly Larson isn't in any danger.

As to the larger point, yeah, the Bengals have certain positions they aren't gonna pay for. But they've already broken the $1 million cherry with Larson, and something like a 5 year, $5-6 million deal ought to be a no-brainer. Still, I guess if I'm Larson I'm like Andrews: why be in a hurry to sign? Especially since my chances of getting injured as a punter are pretty low. Take the $1.2 million this year and see if anyone offers me stupid coin next March.

Why they haven't extended Larson remains a mystery to me. With that $1.2 million tender they have plenty of room to get a long-term deal done; they can probably even lower his cap number a few hundred K.

It's comments like these that make bengals fans seem really stupid. Brown has payed kickers and punters when they've proven they're worth the money. And they didn't pay Steinbach huge money because they already had his replacement on the roster. It would have been a waste of money.

Tab looks like a T.J. clone to me, probably not as consistent with his hands, but more of a YAC threat.

I'm fairly short and non-athletic, while Tab (who I saw when I walked by the practice fields last year) is fairly tall and muscular. I am all but certain he has better hands than mine, and yes, he will definitely get more yards after catch than I would.

Tab is 6'3 :P Chatman is 5'8 :P it should be easy who's gonna replace 6'4 henry :P

I don't know what their timed speeds are, but my impression is that Chatman is a fair bit quicker than Perry. Could be wrong on this. If not, though, Henry's patented deep routes are unlikely to go to someone without that blazing speed to get deep. I still like Brazell as the dark horse candidate here...

Tab and Chatman are pretty much opposites when it comes to WR types. This is why I think it will depend on the situation. One thing that Tab did show in his limited action is that he is a very real redzone threat. Chatman is more of a quick, end-around, reverse type receiver.

What Brat needs to do is find ways to utilize their strengths rather than attempting to make either of them perform Henry's role. Henry is irreplacable for the role he played and the type of WR he is. But if the Bengals attempt to use Tab and Chatman in their own ways, then the Bengals won't miss Henry.

Tab is 6'3 :P Chatman is 5'8 :P it should be easy who's gonna replace 6'4 henry :P

I don't know what their timed speeds are, but my impression is that Chatman is a fair bit quicker than Perry. Could be wrong on this. If not, though, Henry's patented deep routes are unlikely to go to someone without that blazing speed to get deep. I still like Brazell as the dark horse candidate here...

Perry ran in the 4.4 range at UCLA's proday if I remember correctly.

Perry ran in the 4.4 range at UCLA's proday if I remember correctly.
4.49... so closer to a 4.5 - but still not slow. He's just not a burner. Fine by me... because he is very difficult for CB's to tackle. Kind of how Housh makes his living. He never lets the first guy get him down.

I'm thinking mix of Brazell and Tab myself.

with tab getting a bit more catches.

PS,Diden't henry ru n a 4.45? same with chad? so :P not to far off from our other studs ^_^

The Bengals made Jeremi Johnson the highest-paid FB in the league at the time. It seems to me they paid top position money to him... And he's earned the exact same recognition as Steinbach: Pro-Bowl alternate.

I think Henry is a natural route runner. I am not sure about Tab. Henry looks amazingly fluid during his routes. I think chatman proved his value in GB and I can`t believe we got him the way we did. I mean Housh and Chad are mad about his skillz so.... anyways, look for Brazell to be the 5th option on ST and getting out in 4 or 5 wr sets. the dude has hands and can fly so it would be silly not to put him out there.

Chad, Housh, Perry, Chapman, Brazell, Mcneal.... chris henry wa dare des ka? かれはだれですか?

I think chatman proved his value in GB

as a 5th WR who only got 500 yards because of injurys? as a avg punt returner?

Even how bad Greenbay was at WR they still let him walk.

believe we got him the way we did.

5'8 WR's aren't that sought after inless He's 5'9 or 5'10 and last name moss or smith :P

i thought chatman was up around 800 yards ?

817 career... 550 with his last season at GB.

Yep... 49 receptions for 549 yards in '05. I guess I don't see what the complaint is. Chris Henry had only 31 receptions for 422 yards in '05, and 36 receptions for 605 yards last year. Chatman isn't the redzone threat that Henry is, but we're still talking about comparable numbers for a #3 WR here.

I like Tab a lot more than Chatman... but it wouldn't concern me to have him as the #3. He's a Warrick clone - and when healthy can be a productive #3.