Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

Not sure if this is stuck in some thread here already or not:

BENGALS RELEASE LB BRIAN SIMMONS

The Bengals today terminated the contract of LB Brian Simmons, releasing him to free agency.

Simmons, a 10th-year NFL player for 2007, was a Bengals first-round draft choice in 1998 and has played all nine of his previous seasons for Cincinnati. He has played in 121 games with 115 starts, compiling 896 total tackles, 23 sacks, 11 interceptions, 43 passes defensed, 14 forced fumbles and 8 fumble recoveries. He has scored three touchdowns, two on interception returns and one on a fumble return.

“This was not an easy decision to make,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Brian has been a fine player on the field, and he has been a great example to all of our players as a team leader and a citizen.

“But a new NFL year is about to begin with the start of free agency, and this allows us to best position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2007. It will afford us options for signing other players who are a better overall fit, given the strengths and needs of our current roster. This could include our own unsigned players, or players from other teams.

“We thank Brian for his years of great service for the Bengals, and we wish him the very best. We know he has been a favorite among our fans, and it has been our privilege to work with him.”

Simmons missed five games and three additional starts in 2005, due to a neck strain, but he came back to play in the last five games and start the last three. He finished the year with 11 games played and eight starts, and ranked fourth on the team in tackles (78) while leading the front seven in passes defensed (8).

He led the Bengals in tackles in 1999 and finished second on the team in six other seasons

BTW - I applaud this move

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise at all in this corner. Tory, Brian both a couple years past 30. JT, BRob might be wondering who's the next 30 something to go. Somebody posted the Bengal's salary and cap hit a few months ago. It showed Simmons being a cap friendly hit. As would JT and BRob if memory is still working.

Not sure if this is stuck in some thread here already or not:

BENGALS RELEASE LB BRIAN SIMMONS

The Bengals today terminated the contract of LB Brian Simmons, releasing him to free agency.

Simmons, a 10th-year NFL player for 2007, was a Bengals first-round draft choice in 1998 and has played all nine of his previous seasons for Cincinnati. He has played in 121 games with 115 starts, compiling 896 total tackles, 23 sacks, 11 interceptions, 43 passes defensed, 14 forced fumbles and 8 fumble recoveries. He has scored three touchdowns, two on interception returns and one on a fumble return.

“This was not an easy decision to make,” said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. “Brian has been a fine player on the field, and he has been a great example to all of our players as a team leader and a citizen.

“But a new NFL year is about to begin with the start of free agency, and this allows us to best position our team under the salary cap to move forward for 2007. It will afford us options for signing other players who are a better overall fit, given the strengths and needs of our current roster. This could include our own unsigned players, or players from other teams.

“We thank Brian for his years of great service for the Bengals, and we wish him the very best. We know he has been a favorite among our fans, and it has been our privilege to work with him.”

Simmons missed five games and three additional starts in 2005, due to a neck strain, but he came back to play in the last five games and start the last three. He finished the year with 11 games played and eight starts, and ranked fourth on the team in tackles (78) while leading the front seven in passes defensed (8).

He led the Bengals in tackles in 1999 and finished second on the team in six other seasons

Hate to see him go, but this was the right move at the right time.

Yup. He re-upped instead of bolting like Spikes, and never gave less than his all. I wish him the best of luck.

Net cap gain is about $2.8m. My guess as to timing is that 1. they wanted to give news of Brian's release time to circulate so he'd have a chance to land elsewhere, and 2. they may be close to a deal with, or preparing for one more run at, one or more of their own guys before FA starts (K2? Reggie Kelly?)

This blows. Brian was one of my favorite players and one of the leaders on this team. I even have his autograph.Sad to see him go :( Good luck with the rest of your career Brian!! :cheers:

I was just playing with him and Madden to. He helped me win the game. He returned a fumble all the way for a TD :P

Welll reggie hasen't resigned so very well could be... as for LB corps I don't think it looks much worse ...just Lacks vets (Landon,Caleb and "laugh" wilkins being our vets...but seems like good chance will take a LB top 4 rnds...Timmons rnd 1 mybe to play weak? Desmond Bishop rnd 2 to take over landons role backing up 3 postions? who knows till draft day.

WLB:Landon Caleb

MLB:Odell AJ

SLB Brooks-Jeanty-Frazier

Throw in a rookie and wilkins and we have our 8...but if odell isen't in their plans very well see timmons,pos or willis.

While I do think this move had to happen either this year or next, could someone please tell me who the hell our starting linebackers are? For purposes of debate, I'm assuming Jesus tells Pollack not to come back and ODell OD's by the time camp starts.

Are our projected starers Landon, Jeanty, and....Miller? Brooks? Round 1-2 pick? This is not cool.

Because right now the LB corps is looking pretty darn shaky and unstable.

Shaky and unstable? I think "nonexistent" would be a better description. Pollack and Odell may both be done. Beyond them we got two RFAs in Landon and Miller, Pitt castoff Frazier, the CFL's finest in Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad "sits since he can't play special teams" Brooks, and AJ "Fingers" Nicholson.

Basically right now we have one (1) sure starter for '07, Jeanty. Yikes.

Because right now the LB corps is looking pretty darn shaky and unstable.

Shaky and unstable? I think "nonexistent" would be a better description. Pollack and Odell may both be done. Beyond them we got two RFAs in Landon and Miller, Pitt castoff Frazier, the CFL's finest in Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad "sits since he can't play special teams" Brooks, and AJ "Fingers" Nicholson.

Basically right now we have one (1) sure starter for '07, Jeanty. Yikes.

Last spring, if you would have told me that the best LB we have in 2007 is a guy I hadn't even heard of at that point, I'd have punched you.

You're right, of course.